Some simple thoughts about EU

Hi,

Not sure if this holds for EU as well. As there is an RCE you have to know what items are requested, get information about them and understand the market. So reading forums gives quite some insights and therefor I would have expected that quite some players are also forum members.

Of all the ppl I have in my Soc, maybe 3 I have ever seen to actively use one of the forums. Below 10% then. Or less.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Hi,

Of all the ppl I have in my Soc, maybe 3 I have ever seen to actively use one of the forums. Below 10% then. Ore less.

Have fun!

Maybe this is the reason why MA has no official forum. Only 10% would read it?

Please bare in mind that quite a chunk of players are not English speaking. I have a German friend of mine who has never been to this forum depositing €200 or more every month ... So taking forum activity into consideration is inaccurate in my opinion as then you would have to check the Geman forums, the French, the Dutch etc. etc.

Angel

Yes that is true. However, the number of users on the forums can be used to measure trends of growth or decline of people in the game.

Furthermore, if the people of the forums represent a % of the people inside, would also be an indicator of the amount. For example, if 220 players per day stay into the forum, and represented 10% of people who play, it would have about 2,200 people inside. And if people on the forum represent only 5% of all people, it would have near of 4.400 players inside the game.

Yes that is true. However, the number of users on the forums can be used to measure trends of growth or decline of people in the game.

The problem is that we have no idea if players are of the same type. Therefore it is rather difficult to generalize. Furthermore, as there are other forums as well a decline in one can be related to an increase in another one.

Nevertheless, although only globals are tracked, ET might be a better source to measure user activity.

Hi,

Maybe this is the reason why MA has no official forum. Only 10% would read it?
Isn't it so that in any game only a "hard core" minority writes in forums? And that just a few more read there?
I don't know other. In any game I ever played the vast majority of my in game friends never visited a forum at all. And very few, but me, ever wrote.

The only exception known to me is raid guilds in WoW where it is mandatory to read/ write in the guild forum for the planning of the raids.

For sure the forum segregation we have now is another difficulty that IMHO should be removed as quickly as possible. I don't understand why MA cannot make/ buy/ whatever 1 big EU forum where all planet partners would be obligated to participate & have their official sub-forums there.

The current situation only helps to alienate the participants from each other and creates an impression of a nearly empty game.

Please bare in mind that quite a chunk of players are not English speaking.
This is correct, but don't forget that not being a native English speaker doesn't automagically mean not being able at all to write & read English. Guess I'm not wrong when I estimate that at least 90% of the participants would be able to do so - English is a very easy language to learn, is teched in most schools, and is meanwhile used all over the world, wherever international people meet.

English is the spoken (better: written) language in any international game. Yes, many foreign people are anxious to use the language they learned in school, they feel insecure. And many English speaking players help to this when using heavy native slang.

But, from my experience, being forced to write/ read English in a game is a great way to improve the once learned language, and adds an educational component to the gaming :) So, I think the translation of the client wasn't a good move from MA, and using a non-English forum is something that I rarely do and never would recommend. Reading about EU in German makes my eyes bleeding ...

Have a good time!

Hi again,
(better 2 not so long posts but 1 huge wall of text I thought, hope it's OK ...)

on topic again:
do we have enough users atm?
IMHO clearly no.

I'll try to explain now why I think so, what is an important reason IMHO, and point to a possible solution. Anything following is my personal opinion, your mileage might differ.

There's another thread discussing similar things, just posted there. In short:

[...] the main trade centers have steadily lost population since 07/08, and that they are today ghost towns compared to what they used to be.

OK, the architecture has changed, and made them less usable IMHO. But somewhere the people buying and selling stuff must be, that earlier populated Twins and PA in huge numbers.

If I go there today, I see max. 10 people.
If I went there years ago, same week days, same time, there was a vast multiple.

Street trading - should it have become so out of fashion?[...]
For me it's obvious that we have just a fraction of the population now compared to the times of the early 8.* VUs, just judging the amount of street trade. And this heavily hits the in game economy.

It has become kind of "insider trading" meanwhile. A few big, old, established players are creating gigantic turnovers, but mostly trade among each other. Uber hunter sells his oils to uber crafter, as does Uber miner with his ore, and both then buy uber amps & gear from uber crafter.

"Joe 'Average' Player" doesn't find a place in this circle. He just cannot hunt/ mine enough to get the amounts of loot needed by the big crafters, the stuff he's able to craft is crafted by many others like him, and the auction fees are prohibitive for the amounts of low TT loot he gets.

So "Joe 'Average' Player" will TT a lot of stuff that could bring a small MU. Or fulfill auction orders for very low MUs. Trading isn't an viable option anymore, too few people selling and buying anymore.

This way we actually have two economics - the one of the big, old players where insane amounts of PEDs are moved every day, and the small, ever declining of the average Joe's.

A vicious circle.

Read an interesting thread recently, don't find anymore, friggin forum madness ...
Ah, here it is!
In short: It says that there might be different "loot variation variables" already, for instance for Hell, where you'd get a chance for even higher HoFs for the cost of a lesser normal loot. Dunno.

But imagine MA would allow to set this "loot variation variable" individually!

Maybe for not-LA areas on a planet by the planet partner, and for LAs individually by the LA owner? Within certain limits, for sure, and without a change in the absolute loot value. A smaller variation for the planet side areas, and a bigger variation for LA's, maybe even a very big variation for the high cost LAs (Foma, TI, Hell, CP etc.)?

Wouldn't this be a way to break this above mentioned vicious circle?

Any change to less max. loot and more normal loot (without changing the absolute number!) in any beginner areas would immediately:
win back, draw in, make more happy, make stay longer, make spent more money
huge numbers of participants.

This would, in turn, stimulate the "poor participants economy", so making life in game even more enjoyable for our "Joe 'Average' Player". He would then tell all his friends how great this game is, instead of just dropping for good after a while, frustrated. More friends coming, more money spent, more fuel to the economy, a better game.

Another circle. But maybe a beneficial one.

And it wouldn't hurt the old big ones. They could benefit, too, with being able to better customize their LAs, or enjoying even higher ATH's in the Uber Areas.
For sure, there'd be need for a split between the loot pools for the different kinds of areas.

We need more participants, IMHO, and not just a few. A few Ads, or another high profile deal will not do the trick. People come in, have a look, determine that it's ways to expensive & past any hope to ever even reach the status of a middle class player *1), and leave, frustrated. This is what hurts the game, this is why there's no real improvement, this is why this game will die one day if there's not a change.

The few high profile spenders are, well, few. MA shouldn't rely on them. They might grab their money & run, at any serious enough bad news. MA needs a healthy basis of beginner and middle class depositors, or they're doomed over short or long.

Have a good time!

*1): "Middle class" is a thing of definition. I was told that it needs at least 50 - 60 in your major profession, and at least 175 HP. I know that it's harsh - it makes me an advanced nOOb, playing since late '05 ...

Nevertheless, although only globals are tracked, ET might be a better source to measure user activity.

Thats fully right, normally is my first reference. (By example, statistic from tracker, combined with economical fundamentals for estimation of markets, could be give us an idea.) We've had a conversation about it before. This evidence alone will not mean much, but combined with others, may mean something else.

Read an interesting thread recently, don't find anymore, friggin forum madness ...
Ah, here it is!
In short: It says that there might be different "loot variation variables" already, for instance for Hell, where you'd get a chance for even higher HoFs for the cost of a lesser normal loot. Dunno.

I do have no data about different loot distributions per area. Nevertheless, CND mining loot is higher due to the lower hit rate and hunting loot is higher due to higher hp mobs. Loot distribution is however different between mobs and also within a mob between maturities.

I'm not sure if loot distribution is the problem. You have to cycle quite some PEDs to get expected returns and it is gambling like, which one might dislike, but all depends on the absolute amounts. It makes quite a differences if you have to cycle 1k PED to get >90% TT returns or 10k.

One would have still the option to switch back with hunting low level mobs. However, what has changed is the kind of items in loot. MU on items from low level mobs has become lower and therefore they are not interesting on the long run.

Mob regen, mining amps and additional decay are signs that there is an intention to higher those absolute amounts, while loot distribution remained unchanged. This increases net sales without the need for new users and that’s the problem from my point of view.

Hi,

One would have still the option to switch back with hunting low level mobs. However, what has changed is the kind of items in loot. MU on items from low level mobs has become lower and therefore they are not interesting on the long run.
Thank you for this. I'd rep you again if I could, just for this quote!

This is one of basic problems I see. I admit, I never enjoyed those huge HP mobs, and as soon as many of them got regeneration, more HP and less dam, I forgot them. Plain boring IMHO. I don't want to be forced to use a hunting bot, or auto-fire & watching TV beneath ...
So I'm hunting low HP mobs since late '05, and the loot among these has declined more and more. I just prefer low HP and high dam, meh, I'm just after the challenge ...

In the TT value of loot they didn't change this much - but even Atrax Providers these days rarely global anymore. This was different a few years ago, I have a whole bunch of screens of globals on young Atrax even ...
But in the MU their loot has changed. Rarely you'll get anything useful anymore these days, even when whacking hundreds of Old Alphas. And these are not exactly easy ...
Whacking instead sissified, harmless, phat young Atrox, you have a ways better chance to loot good stuff.

Similar to the lot of other mobs. Anything not shining with huge HP, fast regen, or at least insane damage doesn't loot anything interesting anymore. All the good stuff is now in the high stake, huge HP, low dam monsters that are the flavor of the year. Those have been updated with loads of cool (L) & (UL) stuff in their loot tables, while the old mobs still loot such interesting stuff like Sollomatos, FAP-15's and tiny EP-pistols :/ Bah, maybe they even drop another S30L or another CB-5L ...

Mob regen, mining amps and additional decay are signs that there is an intention to higher those absolute amounts, while loot distribution remained unchanged. This increases net sales without the need for new users and that’s the problem from my point of view.

Fully agree. "without the need for new users" is the key. Without new users this game will not survive, inevitably, and that endangers our "investments". So it should be in any EU participants interest, as long as he/ she has serious money in it, to fight for her money.

EU can only survive if there's enough juniors, and the security of our deposited money depends of them!

Have a good time!

Back