(Spoiler) Thoughts on the new Arctic area

ChronicDeadEye

Guardian
Chronic DeadEye Jay
Before I start this somewhat of a rant, I went to the new Arctic location with very high expectations and with an open mind.

There are some good points, but also some more bad points that I have not seen people mention in the other threads. I also want to know how other people feel about this place, as this is only my opinion on it. We'll start with the good.

-The setting is very fitting and enjoyable. It's a fresh feeling you get when first arriving and hearing the music. I would almost call it creepy.

-For the most part the missions are very well done, though very short and linear I found them much more enjoyable than any other missions currently in the game. Some could use slightly more detail, but I'm also very picky so maybe they are just fine.

-It would have to rank among the top experiences for a starter player, free weapons and ammo, clothing (though only usable a few times) and 2 vehicles which a player not looking to deposit immediately would have fun using.

-New weapons! Though the flamethrower is currently bugged and can't be used in the Arctic, visually it is very well designed and it's always great to see new things in Entropia. "The Thing Infection" melee weapon is also...interesting.

The Bad

-After finishing the extremely short "Episode 1" your experience in the Arctic is basically over. You have 2 mob choices, THING's and Wolves. I flew the entire planet and it's possible I was delusional from the blinding white, but that's all I could find.

-Hunting "THING's" will only appeal to a small % of players in the game. You can only use weapons and FAP's looted from Rocktropia and the Arctic. Total cost in time and peds was around 2k cycled ped to get a few small medkits and weapons. The alternative is paying around 200%+ on auction.

-The loot is very unsatisfying from THING's. I'm guessing there are 4 items to be looted, only 2 of which I found one each of with over 1500 peds cycled. Medkit(L) with a max TT of 50pec, The Thing Infection which is standard melee weapon that does 15 max damage, barely good enough to kill even the smallest level THING's. I will assume they also loot the flamethrower and shotgun, but haven't seen them yet.

Other than that, you get High/Low Grade ammo for the most part which cannot be sold at auction. One explosive projectile at a time, eye oil, oil residue, and wool I believe. Of course the normal random ammo types are included as well.

Overall I found the first part enjoyable, but after the quests were over it was a monotonous grind hoping there was something of interest in this new creature. Besides not being quite as broken, it's almost exactly the same as Ancient Greece. If I had to rate this area on a % of completion, I'd give it a 20% at best. At least Greece had some interesting scenery. I've honestly seen better maps from a random generator.

It just blows my mind how anyone would release something like this in the current state. It certainly isn't a great business model for getting repeat guests on your planet. I know personally when the next update comes, I won't make haste to see what the new things are in the Arctic.

If you have not been there yet, I would still recommend going. The quests and items provided are definitely worth the trip.

Searching through the other threads I didn't find anyone saying anything as negative, am I alone in feeling this way?

It's not an entropia world perse. It's a free game you get when you visit the site that is dedicated to the movie.
So don't expect it to have any good loot. It's not setup to be like that.
You do get something good out of it as an entropian:
We entropians get a bonus and that is: free clothes and a free hummer and a free helicopter.. the helicopter if taken care of properly could last for years, and if you avoid the mobs on entropia planets the hummer would be on the top list of kyoto using up 0.05 ped of oil

I used to play the original thing game and this entropia version comes pretty close in terms of atmosphere.

Last edited:
I never said that I wanted "good" loot, just possibly something that is reasonably functional. ;)

Edit: I have to disagree on the clothes part, unless you never plan on putting armor on again. The least they could have done is given the clothes out at 0pec and let you repair them.

I never said that I wanted "good" loot, just possibly something that is reasonably functional. ;)

Edit: I have to disagree on the clothes part, unless you never plan on putting armor on again. The least they could have done is given the clothes out at 0pec and let you repair them.

Again you're looking at it from the perspective of an entropian. The clothes have tt because otherwise you cannot put them on. If items had 0-tt cinema visitors would have to invest to check out the free game. the casual gamers that will come there will not invest money in a "on the side free game" . You cannot sell them, otherwise Neverdie would loose money. Stuff from The thing is supposed to be non-tradeable and is only there to give cinema visitors some entertainment on the side. And maybe, just maybe, some of them will actually want to check out Rocktropia and become hooked

I see the thing, and any other future themed movie destination more like a minigame within entropia, its designed to be just that, the experience a story a few hours gameplay or so, not a place to live forever like rocktropia, arkadia, next island or calypso.

These destinations for all we know may only exsist for as long as people are intrested in it, and then eventually replaced with another themed movie type destination or so.

Again you're looking at it from the perspective of an entropian. The clothes have tt because otherwise you cannot put them on. If items had 0-tt cinema visitors would have to invest to check out the free game. the casual gamers that will come there will not invest money in a "on the side free game" . You cannot sell them, otherwise Neverdie would loose money. Stuff from The thing is supposed to be non-tradeable and is only there to give cinema visitors some entertainment on the side. And maybe, just maybe, some of them will actually want to check out Rocktropia and become hooked

But couldn't the clothing at least be unlimited? :(

I will say I do agree with both of the points made. However, if the area was solely based for the purpose of advertising the movie and hopefully snagging a few new players and not to current Entropians, there wouldn't be any more content beyond that at all.

That is the perspective I see it from anyway, there are high levels there that even Star needs a fapper. I do still disagree about the clothing though, if you compare loss and gain for Neverdie with the influx of players to his planet, killing things on Rocktropia hoping to get items to use in the Thing, or even from killing the higher stuff in the zone itself.. I think it will only be a gain. Even if you count the people who are only going because of the advertisement and will never play Entropia again, I really can't see it costing that much on his end. Make them non-tradeable while still repairable and problem is solved.

Make them non-tradeable while still repairable and problem is solved.

Not in the eyes of the clothes crafters. Especially since they seem so cool and different than anything else in EU so far. My guess is that ND has made sure that the Arctic will be a fun and free destination, without unbalancing the economy - exactly the opposite of what he's usually accused for.

Not in the eyes of the clothes crafters. Especially since they seem so cool and different than anything else in EU so far. My guess is that ND has made sure that the Arctic will be a fun and free destination, without unbalancing the economy - exactly the opposite of what he's usually accused for.

Alright, but the vehicles for free would be bad for the vehicle crafters, at least the heli that only decays in PvP and therefore will last forever for some, right? ;)

Then... drop some blueprints for the crafters and they'll be happy, I can get my unl. arctic jacket and I'll be happy too? :coffee:

Speaking as an impartial observer (yea right lol) I really enjoyed the whole thing experience, before I left RT I dropped everything in storage except 10 peds for "emergences"

I enjoyed a good 3-4 hours messing around, doing missions and messing in PVP and did not spend a Pec

The last mission to kill "The THING" I did buy a 2 Ped shotgun and 2 Ped of ammo to make it easier.

I have always been a RT fan and I love this addition but to add constructively to this post a few additions/changes that I would have welcomed.

* Once your free weapons and FAP is broken allow people to drop/remove them from your inventory.
* The cave where you hunt the thing as part of the last mission should not be PVP.
* It would be nice if no matter what planet you were from you should be able to TP there
* fully agree about the loot I used all my "Free gear" and got just ammo in return
* Please add a working FAP to TT

Apart from that in all the missions I had 1 bug that stopped me getting flame thrower ammo and would really love more of these short instances to to give your something else to do as a nice diversion.

* The cave where you hunt the thing as part of the last mission should not be PVP.

It should because from the movie's point of view at that point, anybody could be the thing.

It should because from the movie's point of view at that point, anybody could be the thing.

Agree, even though I was killed by a couple of nooby PKers with highend RockTropia gear going around killing all people using local "The Thing" gear (aka guns that could not go through their armor while their guns would kill in 2-3 shots) and feeling like they were good at it :rolleyes:

It just blows my mind how anyone would release something like this in the current state. It certainly isn't a great business model for getting repeat guests on your planet. I know personally when the next update comes, I won't make haste to see what the new things are in the Arctic.

It's important to remember that this hasn't been "released" to anyone on a wide scale yet.

The site for the movie still says "Coming Soon" for "THE GAME", which I assume is becuase they want to see a few changes first before they send site visitors there.

Think of this as an "open beta" period for it, and since we're already in-game, we heard about it. Let's see what changes before they REALLY open it up to everyone hitting the movie site.

And hopefully they won't botch this up!

It's important to remember that this hasn't been "released" to anyone on a wide scale yet.

The site for the movie still says "Coming Soon" for "THE GAME", which I assume is becuase they want to see a few changes first before they send site visitors there.

Think of this as an "open beta" period for it, and since we're already in-game, we heard about it. Let's see what changes before they REALLY open it up to everyone hitting the movie site.

And hopefully they won't botch this up!

Yeah beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 etc etc!
I left some peds in RT ... i might go there if I can get some nice skills from the missions..........
anybody knows how many missins are there and what are the skills!

To summarize that first guys summary.... "This place is awesome. New area, new content, new clothes weapons and vehicles new missions. Loot sucks!"

Sounds like a typical entropia to me. Seriously what are you expecting? Yes sounds like some bugs on the cards but sounds like its kinda in trial period too. A tie in game that we can ALL participate in (unlike that swedish thing before) sounds great to me! I'm really tempted to go! Also working from an advertisement pov too as I had no idea there was a new Thing film. Shame to hear the clothes are L since they are kinda cool looking... :(( but ah well just a bit of fun then.

Everyones a winner - good job Neverdie I say

Wistrel

My 2 pecs: went as part of MS Normandie's trip there and mostly had fun there.
The only part of the mission chain that ended in tears (ok, sniffs and a few sighs) was when I got a ctd in my 4x4 vehicle near some wolves and they ate it during the minute it takes for the system to actually log the avatar off. Maybe it was coincidence that they left it at 1 pec, meaning it looks ok in inventory but cannot be spawned or used. I later saw a completely destroyed one in a pvp area. Anyway, it meant I was then on foot AND the mission waypoints refused to update for me at the next base and I couldn't interact with the next mission....
Returning to the start base and cancelling the mission allowed me to restart it, and then on foot the mission waypoints were ok and I was able to continue.
I was lucky in that the people in the PVP area at the end actually helped me with a few tips, and I got the helicopter after buying a shotgun for 2 peds and fulfilling the final mission. I already have a heli and other vehicles, so have done my duty to the crafters out there, but I can't imagine vehicle crafters generally being very happy about the presents though... (also 4x4).

Overall I liked the event and it does have potential. Maybe something for a soc day/evening/night out for a bit of fun. Mothership captains will probably be up for transport to and from... maybe even providing a guide there to make sure everyone has a good time :)

Can you wear the clothes outside of the thing area (like back on Calypso)?

yes you can wear the clothes on other planets....

(can't believe I actually just wrote that)

I saw somone wearing them on Calypso the other day... real shame you can only wear them 3 times though :((((

Can you wear the clothes outside of the thing area (like back on Calypso)?

Not sure about Calipso they clothes work on RT and Hell so they should be ok (And the vehicles work everywhere)

yes you can wear the clothes on other planets....

(can't believe I actually just wrote that)

I saw somone wearing them on Calypso the other day... real shame you can only wear them 3 times though :((((

A bunch of stuff I had including my clothes were greyed out when I got to The Thing, so I did not know if the same would happen in reverse. But if you can only put them on 3 times I probably won't bother. Since there are no attrib/skill rewards I don't really see the point other than looking at design.

My 2 pecs: went as part of MS Normandie's trip there and mostly had fun there.
The only part of the mission chain that ended in tears (ok, sniffs and a few sighs) was when I got a ctd in my 4x4 vehicle near some wolves and they ate it during the minute it takes for the system to actually log the avatar off. Maybe it was coincidence that they left it at 1 pec, meaning it looks ok in inventory but cannot be spawned or used. I later saw a completely destroyed one in a pvp area. Anyway, it meant I was then on foot AND the mission waypoints refused to update for me at the next base and I couldn't interact with the next mission....
Returning to the start base and cancelling the mission allowed me to restart it, and then on foot the mission waypoints were ok and I was able to continue.
I was lucky in that the people in the PVP area at the end actually helped me with a few tips, and I got the helicopter after buying a shotgun for 2 peds and fulfilling the final mission. I already have a heli and other vehicles, so have done my duty to the crafters out there, but I can't imagine vehicle crafters generally being very happy about the presents though... (also 4x4).

Overall I liked the event and it does have potential. Maybe something for a soc day/evening/night out for a bit of fun. Mothership captains will probably be up for transport to and from... maybe even providing a guide there to make sure everyone has a good time :)

Yay Jetsina!..It was fun going with everyone yesterday..More funny that all of us had landed wearing underware..the whole group ( should have got a screenie of that)..Too funny! Great ideas you have there..sounds like your having a blast!..I don't know about Helicopter yet..I rolled the 4X4 twice just leaving the initial base..so I decided to "run" the rest of the missions :laugh::cool: Looking forward to the rest of adventure!

Anyone know what damge type the things dish out? Id like to get some plates...

Edit: 5b worked like a charm 1.0 damage, fit into the thing tt armor nicely :) myby a bit of overkill, would try 2C if I had a set.

Last edited:
If you have not been there yet, I would still recommend going. The quests and items provided are definitely worth the trip.

Searching through the other threads I didn't find anyone saying anything as negative, am I alone in feeling this way?

Missions are buggy for some.

This "Thing" mission is most bugy crap I ever seen,it's not worth it to go to BugTropia :laugh: , but it is good step to attract newcomers to the game, advertisement + cheep crap everywhere :rolleyes:

Love it!

I'm really enjoying this area, accessible only via Rocktropia.
The quest rewards are well worth the time it takes to do the mission.
This quest is simple enough for for players who are new to the Entropia, thus low in skill.
The cost of weapons and armor are more fair than any quests I have done prior.
The storyline is good, and I am not bored.
I am hoping the upcoming update might expand the quests and mobs, etc.
I'm having a blast with these new areas! :yay:

The flamethrower is now fixed.. but decays really fast.
What struck me as odd, was that it's not using green oil barrels, but heavy blp ammo. Meaning the green barrels are sort of a mini-rig. Gathering oil better than sweating? I think so, because you dont have to wait for a buyer..
I think The thing will get crowded really soon... and the exodus of free to play player will go to rocktropia.

my MF implant got unequipped today when I got to arctic, was there yesterday and had no problem, seems the update fixed more than one thing...

my MF implant got unequipped today when I got to arctic, was there yesterday and had no problem, seems the update fixed more than one thing...

Seems that for some reason the implant gets unequipped when you TP back from the Arctic, not when you go there along with the rest of non Arctic equipment. And why exactly do they have to take it out since you can't use any chips there anyway? an indirect fee for visiting a destination?

Couldn't get flamethrower..:(

Well had a great look at it and its very nice. Couldnt for some reason get Flamethrower was at right spot and at weapons crate,but couldnt get it :( Well I seen enough white snow for now. I will hang out on RT and do some missions there..and check out places. All and All was fun in Arctic :D

Back