PvP arenas for Calypso?

I'm also exploring the notion of using the fort event system for this, although in a bit of a modified form. Im planning for more of a power struggle arena rather than the deathmatch type.

I played capture the flag in Doom and Quake eons ago and found those matches very fun team oriented events. I remember a total girl team called Crackwhores was a deadly. They played a lot different than the boys did.

"Someone pilllll-ease kill the camper on tier 2!!!"

Im thinking of something abit more elaborate than the octagons, for example an underground umbranoid city where theres a large fighting pit or something along those lines.
ah... is that what this thing was?!?
doodle.jpg

ah... is that what this thing was?!?

I said it before and I'll say it again: That is the current Chug's Hideout.

Visit it and you'll notice.

Im thinking of something abit more elaborate than the octagons, for example an underground umbranoid city where theres a large fighting pit or something along those lines.

Is that the orb event part 2 i can smell?

Only this time we get to visit that area with the battle arenas that was, then, the other side of the orb? ^^

An automated capture the flag event starting once or twice per day with armor disabled and perhaps divisions based on hp...

An automated capture the flag event starting once or twice per day with armor disabled and perhaps divisions based on hp...

You could make it like laser tag, which is based upon number of hits rather than health related. Maybe give people 10 strikes (hits) before they are eliminated which would even the playing flield so all could paticipate without need for divisions.

Just a thought

You could make it like laser tag, which is based upon number of hits rather than health related. Maybe give people 10 strikes (hits) before they are eliminated which would even the playing flield so all could paticipate without need for divisions.

Just a thought

Earlier on this thread I posted a complete idea for Laser tag. Not trying to tread on you, just it seems to have been forgotten.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-for-Calypso&p=2820345&viewfull=1#post2820345

Follow up post

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-for-Calypso&p=2820350&viewfull=1#post2820350

Yes capture the Flag would be sweet.

but also why not develope a area in Space? too make Vehicles The star up there? something like Top Quads? !!!!
lol

but on a side not why is everyone hating vehicles? i think it's the best thing for this game. infact I would love to see some just vehicle battles with the weapons and vtols and such ... showcasing that would be great. but the arena with catpure the flag style would be alot of fun.

Perhaps create a system where you can enroll 5 people ' for your TEAM' and have such a tournement. i suggested this before and will again i think this idea could attract alot of people....

And perhaps you can advertise outside of game this grand event to the real world and 'stream' etc to see the fun people have and have a 'sweet' prize for the 'winning' team- or*society* if that makes it easier to program. So you can have each society on top 50? to enroll 5 people to play in a capture the flag tournement to win some kick @$$ prize? :D

and publicly show case such a kick @$$ event.

something like MM but with pvp and fun!

This would cause people to start to skill up to top 50 society's to be part of such a epic event.

Also on a side note

Perhaps make a concept for Space *make a zone that people can fly Quads or vtols and have SOME FUN!!!!!!!!!! for cheap Decay!?!?!?! perhaps setup a 'target' destroying mission around a asteroid field to win the 'event' and have some sort of TOP GUN i mean TOP QUAD Ranking Event !!!!
:D

* I shall never give up on the idea!

Sounds fun to me Kim. I would give this a go for sure!

I believe such a system may appeal to a large player group, who will then play more PvP (and not just for mugging miners who finally got lucky).

Is that the orb event part 2 i can smell?

Only this time we get to visit that area with the battle arenas that was, then, the other side of the orb? ^^

the orb is still there?

would be great for my movie :yay:

Hi Kim,

I've thought long about something like this, and I feel it would be a great addition to certain towns. I've thought about it in terms of a laser tag type arena, which would be a building within towns players could enter and sign up for rounds on. Non competitive rounds would be free, and just for fun. Anyone could participate. Competitive Event style rounds would be listed on the Events page, and could have a cost to set up and a prize at the end for either the winning team, winning individual, top 3, or however the organizer decides.

Weapons issued would be 1 laser tag rifle and 1 laser tag vest. Requires no ammunition. Armor is removed on entry. Players are not targetable via health bars (and no health bars function in the arena). You hit the players target areas on the vest and you score a point. The player is then removed from play for x amount of seconds. This goes until the end of the round, at which time the points are tallied up and totaled.

The arena itself is in an enclosed and darkened area, with fog effects and strange lighting to keep things visually confusing. There are multiple levels, rooms, and shapes. Sometimes mirrors. All of this adds up to alot of corners and ambush points.

This is just like real life laser tag, except of course in game. It's alot of fun.

Would be a fun way to involve people in PvP in Calypso, test out new PvP features without cost to players, and involve new players in social activities with old players while not pressuring them to spend (and thus alienating some who dont respond well to pressure).

Skills are never gained in Laser tag, and hitpoints are never a factor. Its just how good can you aim and shoot, as a player. MA loses nothing with this, but potentially keeps customers around longer by having it in game, thus giving them more opportunity to make that deposit.

What do you think?

BEST IDEA so far :)

I would make the Tag Gun(L) and Tag Vest(L)(10 hit points, 10 shots from the tag gun) cost 1 PED each, and make them available for lets say 10 rounds, meaning that each round they would decay 10 pecs.

Oh and to make it interesting and have a reason for them, we could call them the TRAINING GROUNDS, where people train for the everlasting invasions from robots. Have like 5-6 different looks of these and they could be loceted in Forts(Ares, Ithaca, Zeus, etc.). Lets say that there could be like 5-6 people per team.

Maybe we could get people that play CS in-game, and thus they might try other things in-game too. The more variety, the more players, the more we have players, the more money in-game :)

CS type of gameplay, would probably gain players...

Last edited:

Getting there, but also make it so only one type of (low-level, or provided with entry) gun / FAP too can be used, or else it'll still mean the deepest pockets will win all the time. :(

To solve the problem of vast differences between ava strengths, you can use a solution a bit like the new mobs that were spoken about recently:

Have an area where everyone may only use certain special guns. The special guns do damage based on the max HP of the avatar they hit. Say each hit does 5%-10% of the damaged avatar's full HP. That way everyone is pretty much even. Maybe have similar special faps that heal a fixed percentage of full HP.

I like the idea of having a 'free' area for the game of having some fun for PvP. this will give confidence to people in pvp :) which then turn there idea about the 'fears' into some 'funs'

Keep it Free don't listen to those people about L laser tag L vest.....

This will definitly create a better atmosphere around the community and some great fun...

but could you also maybe allow 'paint ball' to occur? like switch the gun to shoot paint balls too???
;)
that would be fun to color up a ava once and awhile hehe

I like the idea of having a 'free' area for the game of having some fun for PvP. this will give confidence to people in pvp :) which then turn there idea about the 'fears' into some 'funs'

This will definitly create a better atmosphere around the community and some great fun...

but could you also maybe allow 'paint ball' to occur? like switch the gun to shoot paint balls too???
;)

yeah would be great :)

I've been playing around with the idea of building some kind of a competitive pvp arena system for Calypso where players could compete for PvP tokens that in turn could be used to purchase items. Is this something you would like to see and if so do you have any suggestions that could help?

Cheers

No. The lootable PvP areas are arenas.

In addition, this kinds of defeats your business model of an RCE. If you do this, then you're completely countermanding your company's stated rationale of removing PEDs from mutant, creature, and robot loot.

I am sure setting up a EVENT for this will require a fee..... so nothing is 'free'
but this aspect will be A GREAT addition into the game..... people will get a good taste of the game.

;)

MA will NEVER make a system that wont make them at least some money, thats why I suggested the L gun and L vest, this way everyone would have the same dmg and same HP, so everyone would be equal. 2 peds for 10 rounds of gameplay is imho very reasonable. If we take into account that each round would be 2-5 mins, meaning a person gets a gameplay of about 20-50 minutes for ONLY 2 peds.

the orb is still there?

would be great for my movie :yay:
Nah, that was a event that took place in the final days of the old game engine, CDF closed the orbs somehow and they all went...

Make them a place where Real Life skills matter more than wallet size and you will have the greatest hit on Entropia so far.

Same types of weapons for everybody that do % of Health damage instead of x ammount of damage, no armor, one kind of fap available or healing terminals.

Different kind of games (king of the hill, capture the flag, etc).

Aparently you now can implement "professions" an avatar can chose that will decide the kind of things he can do. I'm talking about the "The thing" area were you can chose to be an engineer or a soldier. Well, if this can be done, go check Team Fortress 2 (it's free to play now) and steal a lot of their ideas :laugh:.

Destructable enviroment for extra fun.

Make it cheap, doesn't matter if it gives no skills or loot or tokens. If it's cheap and fun people will do it a lot and waste ammo and decay.

Make it instanciated and limit the number of players that can play in a given instance at a time (to reduce lag).

Paintball FTW :yay:.

Back