Help: Crash (ctd) after "launch", before login screen

J4ck

Guardian
Society
Inglorious Space Agents
Hi all,

Finally i have bought myself a reasonable PC, my old rig just couldn't handle EU any more. One of the first things i did was
install Entropia Universe and see how it would run on my new rig. I was able to download EU, install the updates etc. But as soon
as i hit launch EU starts but before i get to see the login screen i get a ctd and: "entropia didn't shut down normally. You may submit information etc....".
So i filed a support case. De-installed EU several times following every step suggested by EU support. Yet it still crashes on me. At this moment i haven't got a clue as to what to try next. Again i reported, the fact keep crashing, to EU support and have yet to receive a reply. Although EU support has been very fast in replying (within 24h), i couldn't resist asking here to see if anyone has a suggestion or two.

Specs:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX.
CPU: AMD FX6100 six core 3,3Ghrz.
RAM: 2 * 4Gb. corsair vengance DDR3 1600mhrz.
SSD: OCZ agility3 SATA3 120gb (EU drive).
Graphics: HIS Ati Radeon HD6870
DirectX: 11
Firewall: Atm. only Windows firewall.

Other info:
EU installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)
EU version: 12.3.0.89993
Exception address: 14103297
entropia.exe and clientloader.exe both set as "run as admin"

Hoping someone can help me out.

Kind regards,

J4ck

Last edited:
Strange, I could log in but after being away for dinner I have a problem where nothing happens after I click "OK" to the EULA :scratch2: some other internet programs and a few websites seems to be having some problems but most of them are working okay :eyecrazy:

Bump...

Anyone got a clue? Am getting no reply atm from support..

regards

after yesterdays update i kept getting the same crash thing just after gold card details were put in.
luckily updating my graphics drivers did it. i had to use vista 64bit drivers even tho im on windows 7.
Had no problems today or since.
probably not the same problem but might be worth checking if your graphics card drivers could be updated.
Best of luck with it!!
Conners

Hi Conners,

I tried around 5 versions of graphics drivers, including the newest... No go. I just installed win7 64bit all over again. Still no go. This is getting pretty frustrating.

shit mate sorry i suggested that then :(
have you tried repairing the installation in the client loader options?
I'm about to go bed but i hope you manage to get this sorted out!!

Hi,

No problem man. I tried repairing, but no errors were found. I have tried about 10-15 installs of EU. All after deleting EU by the way EU support suggested. There is this guy at another EU forum with the same motherboard as me (asus sabertooth), who has the same problem. I will try to update its bios and borrow a gfx, to see if that helps.

Regards,

Remove EU from your computer like this.

Now, do the following:

- Update your computer with the latest drivers from both your motherboard brand and graphics card.
- Download or update to the latest visual c++ redist. version.
- Try a clean install, everything game-related should be in place now.

Try runing the game, if you can't manage to make it work disable the catalyst ai and everything that could modify the ingame settings. Try again. Still not working? memtest86.

Good luck.

I have the same error but after I press "OK" the client loader starts and I can login with no problems so I haven't bothered that much

I have a GTX460 video card and I think the problems started after I downgraded the drivers 2 versions back, but will not install the latest one because it has some other problems

Mercer,

Thanks for your input on this! It was very welcome indeed, however still not working... see below:

Did all the above except for memtest86. I couldn't get the installer to make a bootable USB stick. However i did do the win7 memory test program. No errors found.
I have also had a reaction from EU support. They suggested installing the MS Visual C++ 2005 x86. So to keep things clean i deinstalled EU completely, then deinstalled all the C++ versions i had installed.
Installed EU with the C++ 2005 it comes with. After which i installed the C++ 2005 x86 (the one EU support suggested)
Still no go. Even tried to deinstalled the gfx card - reboot - install drivers again (only drivers! no CCC or any other application). Still no go.

Not really sure what to do next or what might be creating the problem. I am thinking of updating SSD firmware aswell, though not sure if it would help as installing on regular HDD didn't help.

Sigh

Ill start throwing random things in now when i think of them lol. are you running in administrator mode? and have you tried different compatibility options? (if you right click the entropia icon)

i am feeling your pain!! hope one of them works

Hehe. (yes for now... i can still laugh).
Yes running as admin. Even set the .exe's to run as admin. I tried almost every compatibility option available.

This is starting to look more and more like a hardware problem. I am almost sorry i choose for an AMD setup, not yet. But if i do not fix this within 2 tweeks orso i will be....

try to install direct X manually, maybe a newer version ... i had once the problem that the client does not installed anything of the required software like direct X and visual c++ redistr.

for each of your hardware components is the newest driver installed? maybe update the bios and ssd firmware, early releases often cause problems...

have you tried to install and run other games?

Every problem has a solution, don't worry.

Next thing to try:
Right click on the game executable
Properties > Compatibility Tab
Check > Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista.

Do not unistall the game again, you are wasting time and resources in what doesn't seem to be the problem.

More things you could try:
Look for alerts in your device manager, update your drivers using the windows internet service.

Can I have your dxdiag please? send it to me on a PM. (Start > Type "dxdiag" > Enter)

this happened to me too for me i just run entropia again

Hey,

since you did all the updating stuff already and reinstalled and redownloaded EU a couple of times already, I can only imagine it being some problem with the hardware, like the game using some kind of graphic-stuff your hardware just can't provide?

Did you play with all the options PE offers in the client loader window? Maybe run in safe mode or play with the speed options?

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert but i remember having such troubles with other games and in the end i found out that it was some kind of shader, or what not, that my graphic cards just couldn't provide at that time.

I'm sorry for ya man
Thark

Update

Hi all,

This weekend I've tried another dozen of things to get EU working. I contacted the guys from the PC shop where i got the components. We tried all kinds of drivers, compatibility modes. Even tried a 32bit win7 install. Then we tried a couple of older gfx cards, both Ati/Amd aswell as a Nvidia card. Nothing helped, every time it's the same error msg and exception address.
At this moment the PC shop and me are thinking that EU is somehow incompatible with either, the CPU or the motherboard.

@Thark, I tried safe mode, windowed still same error.
@Mercer, i will send the Dxdiag txt file after posting this. Couldn't send the whole DXdiag list so i put it in code. And.... it's gone!

@Darkpepe, i tried different Dx versions and tried many C++ version (both x64 and x86)

Despite of all this i will not give up, i will fix this someday!
Thank you all for your help in this! It's your interest in my problem that is helping me not to give up.

Regards,

Last edited:
Oh well, your dxdiag looks perfectly normal, but to me it still sounds like a GPU driver incompatibility, I'll talk to a friend of mine (who has your same graphics card) and ask him to test the EU client for me.

On the other hand, you could try 2 things:

1.- Change your card to another PCI-E Slot (in your motherboard).
2.- (last resort) Try lucj with a 32-bit Windows 7....I know it sucks...

PS: Feel free to remove the dxdiag, if you are a conspiracy guy like me :D

Hmm. I fear it cant be GPU driver incompatibility. We tested Nvidia cards at the PC shop, with the same result. No go, and the same exception address. I wish EU support would let me know what the exception address means. But i haven't gotten any reaction from them yet after i reported the things we tried at the PC shop.
About 32bit win7. We also tried that, without anyluck.
I fear its the motherboard...

Regards,

Yep that's why I'm so frustrated, they know exactly where's the problem, that's the purpose of the error reporting. FYI, my friend can play the game fine, hes using i5 2500k + HD 6870 and your motherboard (the P67 one).

Have you tried other RAM sticks? other hard drive? Do asus motherboards come with diagnostics software?

If both the RAM and HDD pass the test, your only hope is to RMA the motherboard, but EU support should be a bit more helpful.

:)

Hi,

About the mobo. I do not have the same are your friend. Check: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/#specifications
That's the one i got (AMD cpu).

About EU support, not quite:

Hi,

Unfortunately this could indicate that the problem is related to something within your computer system. The Support Dept. work with technical support for the Entropia Universe only, and it is very difficult, if not impossible, for us to have information regarding all types of hardware and software combinations compatible with the Entropia Universe. However, we can give you some general advice for hardware related issues:

- Check the temperature in your system and make sure that the cooling of your system is sufficient.

- Memory with different latency/speed settings can result in CTDs when pushing the circuits, even though your computer works fine in windows, it may crash when accessing the upper memory regions.

- Make sure the power supply in your system is sufficient.

Unfortunately, this is all the advice we have for you at this point. We hope that you will be able to pinpoint the problem in your system, and if so, you are very welcome to send us information to share with other participants.

Kind regards,

I tried testing my ram with the win7 memory check. No errors found. I also tried installing on my HDD, same error.

I replied to the above EU support comment if they could share more information about the exception address, so that i can perhaps call AMD or ASUS about all this. I felt like giving up on this before, but now it is becoming more of a challenge.
Here's :beerchug: to all your help, suggestions and hoping i won't give up soon.

Regards

Amd fx cpu

Hi again,

I just learned that more people are having the exact same problems as me. What do we have in common? We all have a AMD FX Cpu, which supposedly uses a new type of instructionset for 3d applications.

Should anyone else have the same type of CPU and the same problems, or got EU to work. Please reply!

Regards,

Ohh bulldozer we meet again...are you in position to replace your cpu? or cpu+mobo? (money back guarantee?).

Your cpu+mobo should be arroung $350, you could replace both for: i5 2400+ASRock P67 Extreme4 for the same price, or replace the CPU alone for a Phenom II X6 1055T.

Otherwise, wait for amd to patch the damn bulldozer problems. Can't think of anything else, sorry.

I sincerely advice you to go intel, if you can of course.

^ what he said

Ahhh excellent. Guess i bought the wrong f-ing cpu. I will contact AMD and see what they have to say. Surely there has to be a solution to this.

If you need advice or consulting pm me.

Other cpu and tada!

Hi,

FYI:
Couple hours ago i installed an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T on the mobo. Eu works now. So its safe the say that the AMD FX cpu is the cause of eu not working.

Regards,

This is the responce you will get from the support rignt now regarding issues with AMD FX CU:

Kindly accept our apologies for the inconvenience this issue is causing you, please rest assured that we are currently investigating this issue.

I wish i had seen this thread my new cpu also seems to have the same issue and i cannot afford to get a new one :/ , Damn things what happened to things that just worked. CPU = AMD FX 4100 3.6Ghz black edition!!

Back