Question: Aim vs. Marksmanship

Society
The Leaders Of Planet Cyrene
Potatoes Yes Yes
So I originally had around 500 skill points in aim, and i bought an aim skill implant and increased it to around 2300 in aim skill. So I went out and killed some mobs, but what i noticed is that i still miss as much times as i used to. I even still miss 3 times in a row. And the part where it says attack per minute and max for that weapon in your weapon window, hasn't even increased. All my guns still have the same number of attacks. And when you hover over that group, it says its influenced over your aim skill. So now that I have more aim skill, why the heck do i still miss, and my weapons haven't increased in speed? Also what I noticed is that I haven't gotten one point in aim or at least 2 weeks now. I have marksmanship unlocked, and its leveling up. What does marksman ship do anyways, and why do i still miss and have the same weapon speed?

Individual skills only matter when you try to get the most profession level for your buck (by chipping in).
When it comes to getting better aim, DPS etc the only thing that matters is your profession level. Also bear in mind that each weapon has a maximum so being level 100 when using an Opalo won't matter at all.

Your hitrate will be roughly 90% on average with a maxed weapon. Slightly lower for an unmaxed.

1. Maybe your weapons were already maxed at 10.0/10.0.

2. Aim is only 4% of any Hit Profession, so the 1800 increase you bought would have only increased your Profession by 0.72 of a Level, which equates to an increase in Hit Rate of 0.072; I suspect this is too small to be noticeable, even on a weapon which is not maxed.

3. MMS is 8% of both Hit and Dmg, so has a greater effect.

4. Chipping in itself has no effect whatever on the rate at which you subsequently gain skills. If you have hunted, you will have gained Aim. However, skill gain slows down as you have higher skills. At 800 you would have gained Aim levels quicker than you now do at 2300.

Go and read about Skills/Professions on Wiki, and read the sticky Weapons Statistics guide on this Forum.

Last edited:
I even still miss 3 times in a row.
It's normal. I can miss 4+ times in a row with a gun I had maxed out half a decade ago and with aim > 4k and marksmanship > 6k. With a maxed out gun you're supposed to have the miss rate of ~8%, but it's dynamic :).
And it's normal that you don't get much Aim now - the greater your skill the lower the skill gain.

Also I suspect you don't fully understand how the skills work. Don't let the skill names fool you, don't expect to chip in a shitload of Aim and become an uber sniper, it's not that straightforward. Skills only affect Professions which are really matter, and to miss less you need to increase your Hit Ability on the weapon by increasing the Hit profession (e.g. Laser Sniper) and it consists of many skills of which Aim contributes only 4% and Marksmanship another 8%, so usually you need to chip in (or skill up) many various skills. Use the Chipping Optimizer to calculate the optimal way to reach a certain profession level.

Dont waste your money on buying skills to improve your game , gain those skills yourself and find what it is that draws you to this game , and more importantly , what will keep you entertained enough to stay.

Use a weapon that you are maxed on and choose a mob that is within your damage potential.

This game will accept as much money as you throw at it without any gains to your satisfaction if you do not have the knowledge of its workings first.

I would suggest reading the many available articles on this forum before you throw away your peds tinkering with what has already been learned from others.

Good luck!

Bones

So just using a weapon and increasing the hit and dmg profession will increase its firerate?

So just using a weapon and increasing the hit and dmg profession will increase its firerate?

If you do not have the weapon maxed yet, then yes, it will increase it up to the maximum for that weapon. Nothing will increase it beyond that.

The Hit profession increases the proportion of hits; it also increases the firerate, the firerate (attacks per minute) is maxed a few levels above where the hit rate is maxed.

The Dmg profession increases the average damage done with each attack which hits.

You can see that your overall effectiveness is the product of hit rate and average damage.

If you want the best efficiency, use a weapon where both Hit and Dmg professions are at least 5 levels above the minimums for that weapon. If you want to trade a bit of efficiency for more skill gain, use a weapon where the levels are between 4 and 5 above the min levels.

If you are a new player, you need to use one of the TT weapons for a while to get up to this.

Back