FYI: Entropia Universe does run on the pre-beta Windows 8 Developer's Preview Editions

Quark

Old
Society
Freelancer
Quantum Scientists: "Quark"
I've tried it on all the editions that are available for free on Microsoft's MSDN site. It appears that EU runs slightly faster on this version of Windows 8 than on Windows XP or 7, the memory and processor footprints is pretty similar to Windows 7. Installation is the same as it is for Windows XP / Vista / 7 regardless if it's the 32 or 64-bit edition.

The one thing I will mention to all of you, if you do decide to check this out on your machine, create a secondary partition in which to install Windows 8 and you can then access your previous installation files for EU (on the other drive) all you need to do is run the installer for this Game (the web setup) and it will download the DX9 you need and update the C++ files, then get the configuration set up for Windows 8. The reason for the secondary partition is simple you can protect your previous installation of Windows in case something goes sideways on the Windows 8 installation and it's just a smart way to go anyways. The Windows 8 Developer Preview is a limited time usage items, 3 month trial from what I understand. Although, Microsoft may extend it even further or allow you to get another version of Windows 8 that is a bit more powerful, currently the Dev Preview is actually a form of Windows 8 Ultimate and not Windows 8 Server. Although, you can get Windows 8 Server, just not at that site.

Another warning, since this is pre-beta, the "Metro GUI" which is new for Microsoft is a tad bit buggy, it would be wise if you downloaded an application called "Metro Controller" and install that, to disable the Metro GUI which will then drop you down to the Aero GUI people recognize in 7, I should say it's pretty similar but not exact. I have faith in the power users and people that enjoy testing software would figure this one out pretty fast.

Now, about screenshots, the problem that everyone has in Windows 7 full-screen mode is also prevalent in Windows 8, since it uses a similar display scheme. If you want to do a screen shot either do it in windowed mode, or get a screen capture tool, that can take it from a VGA, DVI, HDMI or Display Port connector and pass the signal on to your monitor. I know that's a lot of work.

Here is the URL you can go visit to get a copy of the Windows 8 Developer's Preview. If you don't know how to make a bootable image on a blank DVD you can google it and the information will come up, I have some simple applications that I use to do the same thing. If you want links and directions for that, I will make a post for that as well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Last edited:
hey, slightly faster is nice, but do you have some fps numbers for us or respectively some percentages how much win8 increased performamce?

Enough said about Windows 8 Developer's Preview:

That is funny.

Enough said about Windows 8 Developer's Preview:

Like I said, shut off the Metro GUI, that stupid ass green selection screen called the Metro Ribbon is one of the most annoying parts of Win 8 itself and it's bugged, that's why I tell people to get "Metro Controller", install it and shut it off so you can use it similarly to Windows 7.

The reason why Windows 8 was supposedly designed this way was for people with touch screens but it's a poor excuse not letting people switch between classic and metro easily.

As for screen shots and FPS, that's not necessary, the menus and other items open up faster, I should have clarified that earlier, it's the 2-D stuff like Professions and Skills or Inventory that opens slightly faster. A second in difference is all I see. A little faster, is a little faster I guess.

I still run XP and it works great! :yay::yay::yay:

Here is a pic of the desktop after I get rid of that damn Metro GUI.

entropia_universe_on_win8_x64_dev_preview_951898.jpg

You obviously haven't tried Windows 7. :D

I second that. I thought XP was good, but after trying 7 I really had to reconsider. It is faster, more stable and much more pleasant to use.

Back