Question: AMD FX-6100 or i5 2400

Jennson

Elite
Society
The Ministry
Jennson Laudi Marakomm
Hello folks
as i'm planning to buy a new PC since my found the way to hardware-heacen recently i was wondering if it is better to take an intel based ( around i5 2400 ) or amd ( fx 6100 ) based architecture. As my budget is limited i would prefer the amd based architecture. EU is pretty much the most performance hungry application i run, so this is the maximum to consider regarding performance.

Another thing is the videocard. I thought about getting this one:

SAPPHIRE HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / DUAL MINI DP (Lite Retail)

would that be a good choice to run EU on highest setting with a satisfiing performance ( when we ignore the bugged areas ingame ) ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Last edited:
Do not, I repeat do not go the AMD FX way, those CPUs are still bugged in runing most 3d apps due to the new instruction set.

To be honest with your given low budget and if you aim for gaming I would spend less on CPU and more on GPU. What can you do? go for the i5, even an i3 will do the job or go for the AMD Phenom II X4 series. Then, with the savings you got on the CPU invest in a better card:

Nvidia GTX 560 (non-Ti version)
or
AMD 6870

Enjoy the fluid high settings :)

Ok so i think when it can cause EU not to run properly maybe the intel architecture is indeed the better choice.

Any opinions regarding the videocard ?

Current setup would be:
Proc: Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155
Mobo: MSI Z68A-G43 (G3), Intel Z68, ATX, DDR3
RAM:8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9
Videocard:SAPPHIRE HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / DUAL MINI DP (Lite Retail)

Should that do the job properly ?

p.s. regarding hardware i'm quite noobish, so every help much appreciated :)

Last edited:
what's the price on the GPU ? yeah should work.

I'm asking because for maybe a 3-4€ difference an AMD 6870 gives much better performance.

Last edited:
what's the price on the GPU ? yeah should work.

The videocard is in the 150EUR range.

I just compared it with the
[h=5]HIS HD 6870 Fan GDDR5 1024MB HDMI/DP/2xDVI[/h]
which is only ~ 10 EUR more expensive. But the 6870 beats the 7770 here :
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=635&card2=675

only disadvantage is they don't have the cards on stock and i have to wait a few days :p

But i guess it'S worth to wait for it.

P.S. my former card was a radeon 4650 PCIe, so i guess even the 7770 would be quite an enhancment. Anyway i think i go for the 6870

Yeah go for it, it's a good change as you can see here too.

Ah i played around with the configuration and got a more satisfiing ( so i belive at least lol ) result for the same pricerange for the total package ( good thing is i get the students license for win7pro, so i can save a few bucks on that ):

Proc: Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
MOBO: ASRock H61DEL, Sockel 1155, ATX
RAM: 8GB-Kit A-DATA XPG G v2 Series PC2000 CL9 2x4GB
Video: HIS HD 6870 Fan GDDR5 1024MB HDMI/DP/2xDVI

How about this one ?

P.S. Total price is now at my max i want to spend for the rig

Well the 2500K is light years better than the 2400, it will last you further and is in my opinion one of the best CPUs arround, so if it meets your price range awesome ! :) but, keep in mind that if this is a gaming build, you would do better keeping the old processor and upgrading the graphics card to something more powerful, the GTX560 Ti is a good point to start.

Either way, you'll be satisfied :p great build.

:)

When I assemble computers, I try to minimize costs vs performance, but even more important, minimize heat development of computer parts, which shows in power consumption, watts.

I currently use a 2400s, which is slower then the 2400, and it works great for EU. Currently I use the Ati HD6850, which is a very nice thing for EU, although it consumes 127watts. The 6870 uses 151 watts, which have to dissipated. The more watts, the more noise your computer will make, trying to cool the thing down.
I will upgrade to the HD7770 however, because that one will use 80-100 watts, in which case I can make my pc more silent. Computer noise is a big issue for me, since it is a cause for headaches. The HD7770 is equal in performance to the HD6850, but driver upgrades will make it faster then the 6850 in the future.

If however, you don't care about health issues like these, nor about your electricity bill, do it the american way :), Bigger, more powerful, and higher energy consumption!

goodluck!
and yes, intel cpu's these days are way ahead of amd (says someone who has worked with amd for years)

Got my new PC. Very satisfied with it. Built upon the advice of Angel and Naomi.
Finally i went for the 2400, but took a better MoBo, though.

Can play EU in 1920x1020, very high 8x AA with a nice fps. Thx to you two, + rep on the way

Computer noise is a big issue for me, since it is a cause for headaches.

Same here, after trying the more and more power way i am back to efficiency and noiseless.

A huge cooler vs a small AMD CPU + Fanless 8800 GT + SSD Disk allowing me to play this game on medium graphic settings with hardly any noise while watching movies or surfing on second Monitor.

Back