New Player/ Lets Play series

Status

Dark_Bacon

Hatchling
Banned
Hey EU guys

My name is Dark Bacon and I am doing a lets play series for various MMO's (With a few guys who have high profile channels on you tube) and noticed that Entropia is quite a unique game basically because of the real cash aspect.

I hope you don't mind but before I start I have a few questions to get this off the ground.

A few notes first:

I have never encountered a game before that uses a "RCE" (Been reading guides so hope I have the terminology right).

Every minute I play online will be recorded for the channel.

The videos will be the entire play experience so 3-4 30 minute videos per week.

So now my questions.

1/ I am totally confused by where this game is set as there are so many forums dedicated to the game, is this the official one? so is this the right place to promote in the initial video as the place to seek information?

2/ Planet wise, there seems to be numerous planets you can start on which are all run by separate people so where would you suggest is the most friendly (Friendly as in the best in game starter missions) to get people started?

3/ The big question here, I am looking to do a full play-though of every aspect of the game from the perspective of me (I.E someone who has never seen this game before) so on video #2 I take it I will need to pay in some money to get started So what would you think is a nice amount to get all the equipment a person needs to try all the various professions without them being put off by it being to expensive.

The new player experience on Arkadia is getting really good feedback so thats probably a good place to start your avatar.

However the Calypso economy is far stronger than any other planet so it's worth considering spending significant time on Calypso.

Hey EU guys

My name is Dark Bacon and I am doing a lets play series for various MMO's (With a few guys who have high profile channels on you tube) and noticed that Entropia is quite a unique game basically because of the real cash aspect.

I hope you don't mind but before I start I have a few questions to get this off the ground.

A few notes first:

I have never encountered a game before that uses a "RCE" (Been reading guides so hope I have the terminology right).

Every minute I play online will be recorded for the channel.

The videos will be the entire play experience so 3-4 30 minute videos per week.

So now my questions.

1/ I am totally confused by where this game is set as there are so many forums dedicated to the game, is this the official one? so is this the right place to promote in the initial video as the place to seek information?

2/ Planet wise, there seems to be numerous planets you can start on which are all run by separate people so where would you suggest is the most friendly (Friendly as in the best in game starter missions) to get people started?

3/ The big question here, I am looking to do a full play-though of every aspect of the game from the perspective of me (I.E someone who has never seen this game before) so on video #2 I take it I will need to pay in some money to get started So what would you think is a nice amount to get all the equipment a person needs to try all the various professions without them being put off by it being to expensive.

Hello and welcome to Entropia :)

1. Each planet in Entropia Universe is owned by a different company or studio. Therefore there are several offical forums (one for each planet), and then some unofficial forums that are dedicated to Entropia Universe as a whole.

2. I would suggest either Planet Arkadia or Planet Calypso to get started on. Planet Calypso has a larger player base than any other planet, so that's a bonus. Planet Arkadia has a fantastic community which really supports newcomers, plus I really enjoy their starter mission line. I would take your pick from the two, or travel and do them both :)

3. Hmm.... good question. Unless you want to sweat or stone/dung/fruit walk and slowly sell to gain PED, your best bet will be to deposit. I would start out by dropping 10 - 20 dollars (100 - 200 PED worth) and then head to the trade terminal to buy a starter weapon, first aid pack (FAP), and some rookie mining gear.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask me and I can help out some more if possible.

(and if you are ever looking for a dual-comm, hit me up :) I always am creating tutorials, commentaries, walkthroughs and let's plays (etc etc.) for Entropia!)

This is the semi-official forum for planet calypso, which is currently the most populous planet by far though arkadia is catching up. For a starter planet, I'd recommend calypso or arkadia. Rocktropia is.. different and there's nearly no players on next island.

And as for a comfortable deposit, you should probably start off with a $20 or 200 PED deposit and get yourself a good mentor that'll guide you through the game.

Add me to your friends list through the player register if you have any more questions (search for hijacker27)

Every item has a real world value, some are worth alot some hardly anything. It's advertised as free to play, but for most of the game this translates into free to pay.
The platform is now based on different planets with their own theme, but the game has its roots on Calypso which has a sci-fi colonist theme. Best to start there to get a general impression.

Most activities are based on three professions; hunting mining and crafting. This forms the base of the ingame economy with regards to supply and demand. In the professions you can progress in skill and equipment along with the economic stake. For beginners there are rookie gear and beginner quest to get familiar with entropia. You can also try sweating, a free element that involves 'milking' monsters, but this takes a long time and is very tidious. I guess that $20 or 200 ped should be sufficient to get a good look of the game.

edit: lol same amount suggested :)

1) There is not official forum for EU as a platform. This is the official forum for Planet Calypso, just as www.arkadiaforum.com is for Planet Arkadia and www.rocktropiaforum.com is for Rocktropia.

There is an unofficial forum called at www.entropiaforum.com which is used by the MA devs occasionally. But there is not official MA forum.

2) Depends on who's answering, Calpyso has the most players due to it being the original and only planet for a number of years and so has the most information to search through. Personally it's choice between Arkadia and Calypso. For me Arkadia is more like the old style Calypso but being a new player that won't make much difference.

3) Without registering a credit / debit card the maximum you can deposit is $50 per month. Don't go buying equipment because it looks good or has good stats as a new player can quickly spend all their cash on stuff they'll barely be able to use. Go without armor for a while and swunt (sweating & hunting) it will allow you to build up some defensive and skills (slowly).

First thing to do is to do the rookie missions which should present themselves when you start.

It'll be worth getting a mentor or join a society as they're a mine of information and can give good advice. You can apply to a society via a terminal in game, it's just a case of finding one. Avoid any that require a fee. There are several newbie societies and as it's more than one person answering a question it usually means atleast one person will be available.

For hunting best bet is to get an Opalo on Calypso or other planets rifle equivalent and ammo from the trade terminal. Ignore the armor in the trade terminals there are better versions to be bought from players. When I started it was a choice between Pixie and Goblin, another choice would be Gnome but it all depends on which things you'll hunt.

The other choice is to mine, in which case get rookie mining gear from the trade terminal and get the feel for it, it's only available on Calypso at the moment I think but someone else I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

If you want to travel to another planet after starting on one then put anything stackable you might carrying (except ammo and mining bombs) in the storage terminal before traveling as it can be looted by pk'ers.

I second one of the things Hijacker and Spike said, make sure to get yourself a good mentor (and society if you're going that direction). You can always look me up too, and our society is newb friendly with lots of experience, and we're not the only ones.

One thing to keep in mind as you take on your task, remember that this is a sandbox game, so there are many ways to play and exist in the universe. MA is getting better at providing some direction for new players, but there's not really a linear kind of experience like you'll find in other more mainstream games. Once you get through the starting missions the world opens up where you can go a lot of different directions, so don't be afraid to explore and learn and take it slow.

You're on the right track, keep doing what you started with this thread, learning about EU. Not only will it be hard to record all different ways to play in depth, but also just to decide how YOU will play. Chances are you won't be able to do it all, but there is a world of depth, power, drama, love, hate, joy, tears, fame, fortune, and bust, all waiting for you to try your hand at if you have what it takes to persevere. Look at EU as another life, not just another game.

Hi Dark Bacon and welcome to EU! I agree with the other people that have posted so far in regards to do it on the cheap when you first start out and either Calypso or Arkadia would be a good starting point. I don't think I owned any armor exept what I looted for like 6 months. Yayy Pixie.

One thing I would suggest though. Explore!!! That was the funnest part for me when I started. Now there are vehicles that can take you pretty much everywhere with no worries about getting lost or killed by some evil snable snot young or chased for kilometers by merps. Don't get me wrong the vehicles are great fun too but problem is you miss so much. There are so many cool things to see that you miss flying or zooming across the landscape in one of the land vehicles. It might seem slow going on foot but trust me it will be worth it.

Of course if you do get killed by a mob and end up in a place that seems impossible to escape from you can always call the wonderful guys and gals in the Calypso Rescue Team. But I would try first, that is try to out smart the mobs somehow.

There used to be TP runs that grouped new people in a team with a group of expert hunters and guides leading them to the different teleports. Sometimes there was even an almost nice Umbranoid girl scouting ahead for dangers. Sadly or happily, however you want to look at it, now you can stand around Port Atlantis and pretty much get a ride anytime of the day.

You can add me to your FL too if you like. No matter how you want to do it have fun!!

~Lily

Wow, let's play for Entropia, that will be cool. Hope you make more videos so I can watch them at work.
btw to expirience all with 20$ will be hard, you must buy vehicles, bug guns, visit motherships, go to space and other planets. But you can ask people to drive you with their vehicles. Everyone want to be Youtube Celebrities

Thank you for all the replys I have got here and loads of PM's with suggestions and offers of help (With transport etc)

I am about to start making the 1st set of videos now (the basic steps, creating an avatar and completing the new player missions etc)

The lets plays will not be full in-depth videos of each profession more of a introduction to each and then several hunting and mining while <trying> to explain things like mark-up and L to UL lol

I will admit while I have done a few MMO's before this seems quite complicated to start so hopefully I will not bore my viewers with jargon.

Thanks to all the people who offered the use of transport between planets and teleport finding missions :)

A few notes:

I will start on Calipso as it seems the most favoured location and will make a small deposit of 20$ after I have completed the introduction and showed a few ways to play for free.

I will stay on Calipso while I (Try) and explain the basic ideas of the game and then I will probably do a couple of vids on each planet and space.

So the ETA for the series to start is 3-4 days with conversion and editing.

A Brand new channel has been created for these videos as well as several other Review videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkBaconPlays

Last edited:
Hmmm...the advertising is starting?

:cool:

Calypso and Arkadia both have walk through mission tasks that will grant some minor rewards and or items. Ark gives a vehicle. Calypso seems to be (to me) better suited to understanding a bit beyond those initial steps with a broader range of low level mobs and further missions.

Maybe start at Ark, do the missions - go to Caly - do the missions. Having a hover-pod can help at times, but it can be destroyed as well if you are not careful. Rocktropia has two vehicles as well Arctic 4x4 and Arctic helio. The helicopter seems the most useful to me.

As suggested, find a reputable mentor to help with understanding what to do. That can save alot of frustration. Besides, finishing a with being a disciple grants you a useful set of armor and a semi useful vehicle.

-edit - looks like a ban hammer hit- :p

Yes, I was a bit curious about that as well, especially since one post he made was removed (according to a later post by himself with no explaination either) :scratch2:

There was grave doubt about the "n00bie-ness" of that account.

In other words, forum rule 1.2

Status
Back