FYI: How to avoid most scams

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
Ok folks, here's the definitive guide to avoiding most ingame scams. I'll break it down into two easy-to-understand parts.

Part 1:
All trades are FINAL

Assume you will NOT get an item back when you trade it. So always either get collateral or agree on a price (which is essentially the same thing).

Part 2:
index.php

If you can follow these two steps, you will avoid practically every trading scam possible.

Last edited:
You could had just said "use common sense" or something along those lines, that usually works pretty well in real life too.

Very much needed for some people :wise:

p.s your getting a good deal there, Quick accept the trade and run! :wtg:

That is way too many steps to follow to make a trade secure

I rather just spam accept button before reading what I am receiving...

Can't believe people fail at this part....... Makes me giggle to see people "OMG HE SCAMMED ME" when they have to click accept TWICE :D

:dunce::dunce::dunce:

There will always be someone :)

thanks for making this post tho, it seems to be mostly needed these days...... Yep, I am being honest, but with a saaaaaaaaaad tone...

If you can follow these two steps, you will avoid practically every trading scam possible.

If only life were so black and white. I dont think the poor souls who have, and will, get caught by these crimes are the ones who will benefit from such wisdom though.

However, I am quite sure the morally void who purpetrate, and their friends who so gamely intimidate the victims afterwards, will take great enjoyment from your gem of a post.

In fact, why dont we all just rush ahead and take the extreme piss out of anyone stupid enough to have had a crime committed against them. After all, they deserve it yes?

If only life were so black and white. I dont think the poor souls who have, and will, get caught by these crimes are the ones who will benefit from such wisdom though.

However, I am quite sure the morally void who purpetrate, and their friends who so gamely intimidate the victims afterwards, will take great enjoyment from your gem of a post.

In fact, why dont we all just rush ahead and take the extreme piss out of anyone stupid enough to have had a crime committed against them. After all, they deserve it yes?

Crime, you say?

Crime, you say?

Yes, just like in real life when someone switches out the real item for a fake when selling to someone. Con artists show the real thing then switch right before taking the customers money with a fake then hope the person doesn't notice before they can make their get away. Is that also the buyers fault? Yes and no. The con artists are good at making people feel they can be trusted. That is why they are considered con artists.:mad:

So don't be too quick to blame the person who clicks yes to trades after being put in a position they feel the trade is what they were made to think it should be. The con artists are still the ones doing something wrong. Don't forget that regardless of the "All Trades Are Final" part of the game.:wise:

Yes, just like in real life when someone switches out the real item for a fake when selling to someone. Con artists show the real thing then switch right before taking the customers money with a fake then hope the person doesn't notice before they can make their get away. Is that also the buyers fault? Yes and no. The con artists are good at making people feel they can be trusted. That is why they are considered con artists.:mad:

So don't be too quick to blame the person who clicks yes to trades after being put in a position they feel the trade is what they were made to think it should be. The con artists are still the ones doing something wrong. Don't forget that regardless of the "All Trades Are Final" part of the game.:wise:

There is no way to switch out what is in the confirmation box. All you have to do is look what is in there before accepting the trade.

This thred has NOTHING to do with assigning blame (FYI, the victims are never to blame when the other had willful intent to steal)

This thread is all about PREVENTION.

"All Trades Are Final"
That pretty much renders the rest of your post irrelevant.
It's not a crime, buyer agrees 2 times to the thransaction.
And indeed, it's even easier to get conned IRL where you don't have a popup saying what is exactly on the table.

And yes, this thread is a good reminder for all.

There is no way to switch out what is in the confirmation box. All you have to do is look what is in there before accepting the trade.

That pretty much renders the rest of your post irrelevant.
It's not a crime, buyer agrees 2 times to the thransaction.
And indeed, it's even easier to get conned IRL where you don't have a popup saying what is exactly on the table.

And yes, this thread is a good reminder for all.

The con artists do a first and sometimes second attempt and claim they are having lag and cancel. Those first few times they are putting the things the buyer is trying to get in the trade window. By then the buyer who likely is excited to be getting the item is getting impatient and doesn't read the last trade. That may be their fault but it is still a con done by the con artists. So make sure you read the trade info every time.:yup:

I'm not saying that what they do is right, but frankly if someone is stupid enough to buy into their scam, then the expencive lesson they learned was desperatly needed. If they learn from it, then they are not stupid, if they fall for the same shit in a different pile, then yes, they are stupid.
I'm really getting sick and tired of people who can't just say, "oh fuck, that was dumb, guess I wont do that again." But nooooooo it's not their fault at all, some magic nanny fairy should have come and saved them from making a mistake.

This thred has NOTHING to do with assigning blame (FYI, the victims are never to blame when the other had willful intent to steal)

This thread is all about PREVENTION.

This thread although informative, is pointless.

Instead of creating a thread enshrewing the bleeding obvious, maybe sticky a 'cut & paste' example of trade scam, showing this criminal behaviour by both the purp and their friends, by doing so it will prove your resolve.

Theres a very recent and textbook case, as you well know.

Stupidity <> scamming :wise:

There is a lot of stupid players out there scammers come up with some stupid scams too. I remember when i first stared playing and there was thread on Neverdie.com. A person was going around saying he was Neverdie and was selling land on RT. The pics showed this player in the basic clothes you get when you first start. Now you would thought know one full for this, but there was some person who handed 500 ped i thin. Did not get a deed, he was told to collect his land when he arrives on RT. I have to try to find it getting here now, it still make me laugth.

There is a lot of stupid players out there scammers come up with some stupid scams too. I remember when i first stared playing and there was thread on Neverdie.com. A person was going around saying he was Neverdie and was selling land on RT. The pics showed this player in the basic clothes you get when you first start. Now you would thought know one full for this, but there was some person who handed 500 ped i thin. Did not get a deed, he was told to collect his land when he arrives on RT. I have to try to find it getting here now, it still make me laugth.

Hehehe, had a guy when I first started claim he maxed out his monthly depo limit and wanted to give me his CC info so I could depo for him, he was even going to let me keep 10% of the depo. Stolen credit card much.

Hehehe, had a guy when I first started claim he maxed out his monthly depo limit and wanted to give me his CC info so I could depo for him, he was even going to let me keep 10% of the depo. Stolen credit card much.

Woah! :eyecrazy:

I read: There is no way to pin anything on me. So i will continue doing it.

How much safer can mindark make it, they show you the tt value in the main trade window, then when you click accept there is an item list before you click again

scamming and stupidity are two different things, IRL if you spend your money stupidly, and buy something and find out it wasnt what you initailly thought, well running around screaming and crying doesnt resolve the issue.

The latest so called scam about the skills sale, i mean come on, he was offered 70% of the value, and he isnt a new player, anyone must realise this would make many of the skills cheaper than the esi's to fill them. That in my book is stupidity, not a scam. And ive not to much smypathy for that, crying on the forum hoping to get your money or skills back. ask yourself, if you where so stupid IRL would anyone care?

And ive not to much smypathy for that, crying on the forum hoping to get your money or skills back. ask yourself, if you where so stupid IRL would anyone care?

If there was someone "smart" enough to take advantage of that "stupidity", yes I would care... Taking advantage of "stupidity" on purpose, is wrong in my book... We should make it our responsability as a community to keep things fair for everyone, no matter their IQ, race, religion or whatever... The fact that we screwed RL society doesnt mean we have to screw virtual realitys too...

But then again, I'm just a dreamer....

Part 1:
All trades are FINAL
Except when they are not

I'm not expressing opinion or value into pointing that out, just used that case to display that the rules, while MA perhaps wants you to believe they are carved in stone, are in reality selectively applied and can be voided at MA's discretion.

In the case i reffer to, the seller, didnt know, or check the value of his skills minus esi costs, he accepted and offer for 70% of the net value of skills, with out properly checking how much he stood to loose from just that 30% drop. If you are going to go to the effort of selling everything its your responsability to know the value of what you are selling.

Is the community meant to hold everyone hand through every deal and make sure we all getting a fair price, if this was the case then how the hell did we get to a stage when people where paying tens of thousands of dollars for virtual guns, armors and healing kits.

Welcome to entropia, everyone is out to make a buck, people being screwing each other in this game since the begining.

What next, someone who gets looted in pvp, we all chip in and give him something back?

Last edited:
Except when they are not.

I'm not expressing opinion or value into pointing that out, just used that case to display that the rules, while MA perhaps wants you to believe they are carved in stone, are in reality selectively applied and can be voided at MA's discretion.

I think you misunderstood that case. Tthat wasn't MA who went into the database and transfered ownership of items. The other person involved willfully traded back the items.

The "All trades are final" thing means that 99.99% of the time, MA will investigate trades, determine that you clicked both "accept" buttons, and barring evidence of someone using a known hack/exploit to trick the system, will conclude that the trade is fair game.

Stupidity <> scamming :wise:

I remember once putting TT gun on auction, long time ago just to test if someone would bid on it (it had something like +5 PED monthly markup and 10 sold). TT+1 sb, no b/o

And some sucker bid on it. I had my socmate overbid him so that I collect it so he doesnt at some time realise ffs this is TT gun.
- he bids again - TT+3
- there was a bidwar to about TT+10 :eyecrazy: at which point I let him have it, when he really wants it THAT much

Some ppl cant be saved, trust me...

I.

Back