FYI: How to avoid most scams

I think you misunderstood that case. Tthat wasn't MA who went into the database and transfered ownership of items. The other person involved willfully traded back the items.
Oh! Then I completely misunderstood it. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Omg - you have scammed your own girlfriend and now you post pics to taunt her!

75.00 out vs. 489.07 in

:eyecrazy:

Not nice...

J/k

:tongue2:

See, if my wife had paid attention to the trade window like you're supposed to, that wouldn't have happened. :wise:

I chose that pic specifically because it shows a clear imbalance in the trade.

Those that do not notice it are often the kind most likely to get bit by trade problems.

Seems a good time to bump this (Sad to say). :(

Seems a good time to bump this (Sad to say). :(

This helps but not allowing "funds" or "investments" on the forum at all would probably help more.

I'm not sure if the most recent example was publicised on the forum or by word of mouth. If it was by word of mouth / in-game advertising then there is no way of protecting people from the unscrupulous that I can see.

I've been scammed in the first MMO I played and also ripped off in real life, so dont think I have no sympathy, I have. We all make mistakes.

This helps but not allowing "funds" or "investments" on the forum at all would probably help more.

I believe my two-part method described in the OP covers this, too.

And yeah, the two recent issues of bad evil amp trades and pre-paid mining amp disaster were what prompted this bump.

I believe my two-part method described in the OP covers this, too.

And yeah, the two recent issues of bad evil amp trades and pre-paid mining amp disaster were what prompted this bump.

Why not sticky the thread instead so it stays visible on top....and perhaps somewhere visible in the newcomer's thread too? I can't help but feel that we're having too much of these recently...

And sad to say, the OP's two-part method ought to be applied, imo, to "everyone" you know regardless of how long you've "known" him/her. Since I think there's even been cases where the scammer took years to build the trust between his/her prey before finally reeling it in.

Last edited:
Why not sticky the thread instead so it stays visible on top....and perhaps somewhere visible in the newcomer's thread too? I can't help but feel that we're having too much of these recently...

And sad to say, the OP's two-part method ought to be applied, imo, to "everyone" you know regardless of how long you've "known" him/her. Since I think there's even been cases where the scammer took years to build the trust between his/her prey before finally reeling it in.

Well, to be honest, it would feel a bit big-headed and pompous to use my mod powers to sticky my own thread. :ahh:

/mod note/
Luckily there's more than one mod :) I'll leave it in the General section though, as EVERYONE needs to be reminded of this, not just new players.

/personal note/
There IS some folk in the game I trust absolutely. I've met them in RL, met their families, eaten in their homes, slept under the same roof. And no scammer in EU is likely to drive 13hrs or fly from one side of Australia to the other to meet you. Some few others have earned my trust over a period of years.

And then there's everyone else.

* Free Bump *

--------------------
@JC: If this is not allowed, then feel free to remove out whatever that's below the hyphens.

Decided to post this link here (even though it may be scams that are occurring in another game) cause some of it may be applied in EU as well...be it in auction trading or in the larger scheme of things.

Besides...knowing a little of how scams work and operate (in essence) by preying upon human nature/behavior may help educate others into spotting the pitfalls.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Scams_in_Eve

im sure whatever youre saying is ok, as mod is helping to spam pointless shit on forum atm!!

Always good to bump this up occasionally.

Another bumpie-boo.

Never give items you aren't willing to lose, no matter how nice the other person is.

*protip*

Don't buy items at ridiculous markups no matter how convincing and tempting it may be without doing massive research... you never know what you might uncover.

Trust anyone as you can throw them.

It is that simple.

*Sigh*

Yet another required bump. :(

*Sigh*

Yet another required bump. :(

Kindda sad right?

Which reminds me of the time when I was just a newb to the game...looking for a way to survive.

At that time, I got a small amount of peds on my hands and reckon that I could try "trading".

So off I went looking at the auction orders...and...concluding that the residue market might look like a decent start, I went around buying small lumps of them, from people, for a tad bit below the auction order's mu.

Things weren't too great I guess. Some people liked what I was doing...some people didn't.

It was during that time, I encountered this player...of a name I shall not quote.

Seemed like a nice fella and kept selling me the metal and enmatt residue that he had gotten. (Not daily, but maybe once or twice a week.)

Gradually, after a couple of trades, and presumably gotten to know each other slightly better, he talked about what I was doing....and I was frank about it to him.

Because of that conversation, he went on to teaching me how to read the auction markup charts and how to go about auctioning stuff to have a slightly better "return rate". (To this, I am very grateful actually...as it made my survival in this game easier to cope with...even until now.)

So days turn to weeks and weeks turn to months....and sometimes, occasionally, I even went on some hunting trips with him and his wife...on plumatergus youngs apparently (since I was so hell bent on trying to loot my own dna for them....cause they looked so cute to me).

Plus I was a newb with hardly much skills...so pluma youngs were decent hunting foes with opalos (in a group of three) and were pretty cheap to hunt too i guess.

On occasions when I was "broke", they would sometimes offer to take me on tp runs to grab new tps...and on other times offer to go for some free sponsored hunting trips, of which I sometimes tagged along just for the skills and return all loot and equips after the hunt back to them.

So to me, they were pretty nice chaps. Both him and his wife.

(And I even joined their soc...even though it wasn't a large one....only a couple of peeps in it.)

--- Fast-fowarding the story a bit ---

Things like this happen for a while and then one day, he talked to me about a "venture". He said that he could profit off the auction...trading things....much like the way he taught me how.

Asked if I was interested to chip in...and all I needed was to give him 1k peds. He would make it (the peds) work for me and I could gain some revenue off the venture.

(Mind you, back then...CLDs weren't even introduced yet.)

It was tempting to me. However, not sure why...but I didn't take up his offer.

Maybe it was because I prefer to do things myself? Maybe it was because I won't even trust my left hand from my right? Maybe its cause I prefer to keep the game as a game? Or maybe its cause I wasn't greedy?

I don't know. I just didn't take up his offer.

BUT...BUT I MUST STRESS...it didn't raise any red flag to me back then either.

I simply thought of it as an offer...from a friend...and...one which I didn't took.

Maybe it wasn't a scam attempt...or maybe it was.

Even if you ask me now, I will still tell you that I don't know.

But one thing is for sure.

Scams are very hard to detect....especially trust scams. You won't know when you might fall for one....and in what way.

You can only be cautious and on the lookout for them.

Good luck...and stay safe.

(PS: If your curious....nope....haven't seen them online much now. Maybe its different timezones or maybe they've quit? I don't know.

Oh ya....remind me to check their "last login" status later...hahaha...forgot we have that now.

- Update -
One's never logged in since the patch with the FL improvement to track last online status. It shows N/A.

The other haven't logged in for > 100 days now.)

Last edited:
*protip*

Don't buy items at ridiculous markups no matter how convincing and tempting it may be without doing massive research... you never know what you might uncover.

Them rare pets are a bargain at 3k ped!

just as quad wings were at 2500 ped

How about taking this further and put together a list of all known scams? Some of them I remember from the past which now may be easier:

1. Offering to upgrade an item at no cost. At the time, it was impossible to upgrade items.

How about taking this further and put together a list of all known scams? Some of them I remember from the past which now may be easier:

1. Offering to upgrade an item at no cost. At the time, it was impossible to upgrade items.

We still have that?

I recall one fella in PA around 06 offering me to upgrade my pixie to a boar, all I had to do was handing it over without collateral. I knew this was a scam so I let him think he had me hooked, even put my pixie in trade after which I expressed the least flattering superlatives in my vocabulary and terminated the deal.

It amazes me how people are ready to cheat others for a few cents. Just like people stealing pens or paper from their office; are you really ready to get your fingers dirty for pretty much nothing?

When two players live in the same country its possibe to make a renting or lending contract. In this contract you do not touch the EULA of EU, its more like that boths sides agree on a set of rules how to handle the renting or lending, they share personal information, telephone numbers, even copies of IDs. The contract basically says, that if you misuse "all trades are final"-rule for your own benefit and for the harm of the owner of objects, you break the agreement. As said before, the contract does not touch the EULA or the game itself, its simply an agreement or contract between two players. MA is merely the service provider that is used and EU is just the media in that the contract is relevant. Its not about that the "all trades are final"-rule is in place, its about how to handle this rule in a fair way for both sides. And this contract is made in RL and therefore falls under RL jurisdication.

I have a contract like this running for well over six years and i am happy and immensly grateful for it.

I do not recommend a contract like this between players of different nations and thereby different jurisdications. In my point of view that is very risky and would have quite the opposite effect.

I see no other way to establish some kind of "circle of trust" and as we have seen in the past even this is very risky.

Weird Coincidence?

This is funny...but as soon as I made this post, the person suddenly came online a day or two later and pmed me out of the blue. (After having been offline for 100+ days?)

Not sure how to make of this but...

Weird Coincidence?

Or is the holder of this "alt" still lurking the forums?

We haven't had someone crying about giving away their items for a while, so thought i'd bump this.

edit: just realised it's a sticky lol

Last edited:
Sticky, yes, but bumps still help spread exposure. :)

Thanks for the bump.

Seems another bump is required. :(

Back