Preview of August 21 release?

That's amazing, Kim. Nice to see that you put back the signs of the past battle glory, those inspired me a lot in my OJ days :)

Yessss. I like this as well.. the ships, the very alien plants. Next is to find that outpost where humaz are stupid... ;)

Put a blind fold and a head set on and become one with the universe.

Don't be so pissed off, what you are saying is sooo wrong !
VU 10 was 17/09/2009, it can't be over 3 years, you have to look MA time ;)
Sad birthday BTW...

Actually it is 3 years... as of today..

First off 9.44 ended on 17 August 2009, so today being the 17 August 2012 it's been exactly 3 years...

Second, why do we need the day/night cycle changed from 5 to 2... Oh and for those who whine about hunting in the dark? Stop whining and learn to listen.. That's right.. listen..

the Creatures you should be able to hear coming or stomping around in the dark.. you have a radar with Red dots too..

And if you think I'm in the minority, the reality is.. I hunt day or night, and you want to know why? Cause I have such poor vision in Real life.. While many of you got 20/20 or 20/10 eyesight (for those of you claiming to be "Eagle eyed", I'm 20/800 in the left and 20.400 in the right in real life.. and I have to use a maginfier while running the game to spot my targets during the day..

But then when the sun goes down, well... that's where i can pick off a target just by knowing where it is...

People need to practice hearing their mob, and not use visuals as a cue. Many headsets today actually have "Ambient and omni-directional sound so you can actually hear the creature from your ear phones..

I mean try hunting in the dark.. with a blind fold on, put your headsets on, and visualize the creatures location in your mind.. After all hunting in the dark can be fun.. especially in PVP lootable or otherwise.

Benjamin Ben Coyote
"The Blind Sniper"

Actually it is 3 years... as of today..

First off 9.44 ended on 17 August 2009, so today being the 17 August 2012 it's been exactly 3 years...

Second, why do we need the day/night cycle changed from 5 to 2... Oh and for those who whine about hunting in the dark? Stop whining and learn to listen.. That's right.. listen..

the Creatures you should be able to hear coming or stomping around in the dark.. you have a radar with Red dots too..

And if you think I'm in the minority, the reality is.. I hunt day or night, and you want to know why? Cause I have such poor vision in Real life.. While many of you got 20/20 or 20/10 eyesight (for those of you claiming to be "Eagle eyed", I'm 20/800 in the left and 20.400 in the right in real life.. and I have to use a maginfier while running the game to spot my targets during the day..

But then when the sun goes down, well... that's where i can pick off a target just by knowing where it is...

People need to practice hearing their mob, and not use visuals as a cue. Many headsets today actually have "Ambient and omni-directional sound so you can actually hear the creature from your ear phones..

I mean try hunting in the dark.. with a blind fold on, put your headsets on, and visualize the creatures location in your mind.. After all hunting in the dark can be fun.. especially in PVP lootable or otherwise.

Benjamin Ben Coyote
"The Blind Sniper"

Whoah, good post to point out there is sound. It gives a real nice edge to hunting in the dark.

I'm glad there adding a few points of interest to the map.
Also, night time, looks impressive, if the big moon in the pic is a source of light, should still be good for those who dont like the night.

Kim, dont forget a story line for the crashed ship :)
Maybe a lead up to another bot invasion.

You just post for postings sake or to wind people up... sad little man.

Nope, not posting to wind people up. So you paid for some enterainment(leveling your taming) but now taming is not available. I pay for entertainment in hunting, if hunting became unavalble, I'd just quite playing, because the entertainment I want to pay for is not being provided anymore. You paid for entertainment, you got your entertainment, I fail to see the problem.

The problem is you are becoming more annoying than wizzszz on the forums..........

-Bemo-

Ouch. Then explain it to me and I can finnaly put the issue to rest. We are paying for the entertainment provided by taking part in our chosen activities, we get that entertainment as we pay for it. If my prefered form of entertainment in Entropia was taken out of the game, I'd just stop playing, rather then hang around complaigning about how hard I worked to get to my prof level, or how much I spent to get there. Gaining those levels was part of the entertainment, not some work or chore that I HAD to do. I did it for fun, and paid what I felt was fair for the entertainment. So please, explain it to me because I honestly don't get it. What is the problem? Is it that their is real money involved? Because if it is, that's just petty. If that money meant so much, why put it into a video game? Is it because it brought a sense of accomplishment to be a high level tamer? I honestly just don't understand why people are getting worked up over fake proffesions and fake pets. Go become a real animal tammer, then have that be made illegal, and I could see the complaint, but in a fake world it makes no sense.

While I certainly understand your frustration with the delayed implementation of the new taming system please understand that neither I nor anyone else in my team has any say in how the development of the platform is prioritized.

I, like you, want taming to be back into the game and I've been told on many ocasions that its in the pipeline but sometimes development takes longer than expected. Please don't think that taming has been abandoned, it's actually one of the systems I hear people at the office talk the most about and everyone wants to make sure that it becomes a lot of fun to play with.

Finally I wish to say that the lighting changes are but a mere fraction of what goes into this release, the bulk of which is focused on the new player experience with a new startroom and gateway. It actually came into being as a derived work from the lighting settings we did for the gateway that we thought were so good that they should be applied to the rest of Calypso as well.

Kim, While I appreciate your eagerness to want to have taming back in the game, I also think it would help the community greatly if you would share all of your recent active communications with the mindark developers regarding the outstanding issue of the taming VU.

Ouch. Then explain it to me and I can finnaly put the issue to rest. We are paying for the entertainment provided by taking part in our chosen activities, we get that entertainment as we pay for it. If my prefered form of entertainment in Entropia was taken out of the game, I'd just stop playing, rather then hang around complaigning about how hard I worked to get to my prof level, or how much I spent to get there. Gaining those levels was part of the entertainment, not some work or chore that I HAD to do. I did it for fun, and paid what I felt was fair for the entertainment. So please, explain it to me because I honestly don't get it. What is the problem? Is it that their is real money involved? Because if it is, that's just petty. If that money meant so much, why put it into a video game? Is it because it brought a sense of accomplishment to be a high level tamer? I honestly just don't understand why people are getting worked up over fake proffesions and fake pets. Go become a real animal tammer, then have that be made illegal, and I could see the complaint, but in a fake world it makes no sense.

So you have 54 levels in taming that you skilled because you were consistantly told that stage 2 of taming was coming, so you wanted to be prepared for it, this was even on the main website of planet calypso explaining how taming was the first stage and stage 2 of taming would be coming soon.

You recieve no globals or items when handling pets so there is no reward at all for the skilling it is all costs, you may get the odd rare global when taming a mob but that never happened to me ever so its very rare indeed.

People complained long before cryo2 killed the taming profession and Marco and whatever other cronies at the time would just spew out "its in the pipeline, its coming bigger and better than ever"

So then cryo2 update hits and were told all features will be back within a few months, then more months then more months meanwhile getting told it will be bigger and better and its in the pipeline.

So now we are at 3 years since we lost the profession and around 4 years since stage 2 was promised so thats 6 or so years roughly, possibly more seeing ive only been here 5.

So now somone like you says "i would just quit if my profession dissapeared" Would you? So if your other professions were in the high 70's and high 50's you woul djust quit? :)

Well you are obviously not me as i would fight for some kind of justice and not lay down and just quit and most of the other tamers who many are way higher than me in skills and dont see it as a good idea to just roll over and give in... at the end of the day i guess im not a quitter, you on the other hand by your own words are.

It also isnt a great example to set if you want people to play the game and invest in their avatar for the long haul, many people see these experiences and no longer enjoy or are willing to tell friends about the game knowing what has happened to themselves.

MA should of givin the option to swap the taming skills for skills that can be used by the players if they so wished but no, they just sprout the same thing over and over and it just isn't right and im not going to sit back and take it and you of all people won't deter me or any other tamer from making them accountable.

You and others like you make it sound like we dont like the game and are complaining, we love the game and are complaining there is a big difference, we want the game to do well its good fun and entertainment and i odnt mind paying for entertainment but i do mind paying for promised entertainment that never arrives and then lose all my skills for 3 years in the process.

There i have spent the time to explain it, now i see no need to reply to you again.

Last edited:
You recieve no globals or items when handling pets so there is no reward at all for the skilling it is all costs, you may get the odd rare global when taming a mob but that never happened to me ever so its very rare indeed.

Apologies for not being around when taming was, but it is interesting to note that you say there was no reward for taming when it WAS in game, so to me that means it has been beneficial for it to have been removed whilst they make it worthwhile, saving you peds on something that wasnt working. Isnt that a good thing?:scratch2:

MA should of givin the option to swap the taming skills for skills that can be used by the players if they so wished but no.

This capability is already in game, its called skill implants...

Apologies for not being around when taming was, but it is interesting to note that you say there was no reward for taming when it WAS in game, so to me that means it has been beneficial for it to have been removed whilst they make it worthwhile, saving you peds on something that wasnt working. Isnt that a good thing?:scratch2:

There were rewards with taming, it was the skills gained and the pet you earned in the end. You then sold this pet to someone else so they could train it.. sort of.. it danced for you and gave you nice skills. These skills are useful for other things like hunting. (or so I believe)

The thing that irks everyone here is the fact that it was a system that would help you earn skills and some peds in the end was taken away without any real timeline for return. This taming also helped the sale of fruit, and nutrino bars as they where used in taming and training. Fruits and nutrio bars now have no use atm.

This system was not replaced when Cry2 was implemented. Then there was the promis of it being returned quite some time ago by one of the old developers. (anyone remember Marco??!!) At this point it turned out that MA was not even close to finishing it. This is why some people here are pissed.. :yup:

look mum.. a muppet.

Why even bother mate, you make yourself look like an idiot. Do you think it is fair for me to have to buy esi's and chip out my taming skills, 54 levels of them or those with 80 lvls of them? and then buy new skills?

Perhaps in future you dont bother commenting on shit you have no clue about, i dont otherwise i would look as stupid as you do.

It truly boggles the mind that people like you think we as players shouldnt arc up and complain we should just roll over and chip our skills out :) no shit im still fkin amazed you even wrote that bullshit.

@quickening.. stick your neg rep up your arse. (i apoligised for this remark it wasnt really fair) but those other two clowns can get stuffed :)

Last edited:
While I certainly understand your frustration with the delayed implementation of the new taming system please understand that neither I nor anyone else in my team has any say in how the development of the platform is prioritized.

I, like you, want taming to be back into the game and I've been told on many ocasions that its in the pipeline but sometimes development takes longer than expected. Please don't think that taming has been abandoned, it's actually one of the systems I hear people at the office talk the most about and everyone wants to make sure that it becomes a lot of fun to play with.

Finally I wish to say that the lighting changes are but a mere fraction of what goes into this release, the bulk of which is focused on the new player experience with a new startroom and gateway. It actually came into being as a derived work from the lighting settings we did for the gateway that we thought were so good that they should be applied to the rest of Calypso as well.

Yay once again we need to fix the starting area.... Keep up the good job soon only thing left in this "game" will be the uber starting area you tweeked like 3 times or something

Nope, not posting to wind people up. So you paid for some enterainment(leveling your taming) but now taming is not available. I pay for entertainment in hunting, if hunting became unavalble, I'd just quite playing, because the entertainment I want to pay for is not being provided anymore. You paid for entertainment, you got your entertainment, I fail to see the problem.

This is just unbelievable! Tamers had invested time, money and effort into a profession. If that profession is unavailable they have lost out in their investments. How hard is that to understand? Their skills are useless, as the equipment that goes with it. Makes it difficult to sell them as well, who would want to buy something useless?

I wasn't a tamer myself but I would sympathise with anyone who would be affected like this. It sets a bad precedent. For if they can do that to one profession they can to other professions as well and next time it may well be you that's affected.

For the game to survive MindArk really do need to be careful in these respects as it undermines the whole concept of investing in anything.

Since you ask so nicely I just have to give you a little something. We have re-designed the standard atmospheric and lighting settings for all the Calypso areas. So what does that really mean? Well for example we've shortened the day cycle from 5 to 2 hours and the nights have been made a bit less dark so you won't have to play in total darkness anymore.

I think i know what that really means... a few hours work entering new numbers into the menu of cryengine, you know, the one where you can change the night and day settings with ease.

heres a tutorial, which shows exactly how time consuming it isnt.

quite an intersting video, might shed some light (pardon the pun) on how its all done to those not in the know.

Last edited:
tbh given the previous previews of updates it's always the bits that aren't mention that affect us the most :(

Equiping fees and space being lootable pvp for instance.

This is just unbelievable! Tamers had invested time, money and effort into a profession. If that profession is unavailable they have lost out in their investments. How hard is that to understand? Their skills are useless, as the equipment that goes with it. Makes it difficult to sell them as well, who would want to buy something useless?

Well I think this is where we differ. I guess some people consider this game an investment, I consider it entertainment. So have tamers got their entertainment? Yes. Did they get a ROI? No, but honestly, how many where profiting, as Butch already said, many people complained about it then. Also, it appears that many people skilled on the speculation that it would become profitable. So all I am seeing in this is noothing more then being upset that taming didn't turn into the cash cow they had hoped it would.
But thanks to Butch, I now know that taming was complained about just as much when it was in game.

Well I think this is where we differ. I guess some people consider this game an investment, I consider it entertainment.

So am I right in saying that if you were to quit tomorrow because your profession was taken away, as you suggested a few posts ago, you wouldn't sell a thing or chip out any skills? You'd just quit and leave everything in game as you'd gotten your entertainment out of it?

Kim,

While we do appreciate you actually finally acknowledging that taming is indeed missing and that you indeed hear people talking about it near the watercooler, as heartwarming as that sounds can you please to get MA to issue a definitive time frame for its release whenever that may be. I realize that they may say Jan 2014 and e know if they hard commit to a date with a 100% certainty it means nothing and they will delay still, but at least some movement even illusory would be better than the current state.

Kim,

While we do appreciate you actually finally acknowledging that taming is indeed missing and that you indeed hear people talking about it near the watercooler, as heartwarming as that sounds can you please to get MA to issue a definitive time frame for its release whenever that may be. I realize that they may say Jan 2014 and e know if they hard commit to a date with a 100% certainty it means nothing and they will delay still, but at least some movement even illusory would be better than the current state.

yea sucks what MA did with the game....
from my point of view i have a hard time seeing this game survive to 2014...

from my point of view i have a hard time seeing this game survive to 2014...

I would be more inclined to take posts like that seriously if it was not because I have read ppl saying that for more than half a decade now...

And if not for recent improvements within several areas, ofc.

Last edited:
..Also, it appears that many people skilled on the speculation that it would become profitable. So all I am seeing in this is noothing more then being upset that taming didn't turn into the cash cow they had hoped it would.

It appears you have lost your mind. No tamer has mentioned "profitable", or the hope for a "cash cow".

When Butch talks about Phase 2, what it means is "functionality", the potential that pets could become useful for a range of different things, or possibly a wider selection of mobs that can be tamed. Carrying cargo, being ridden, combat trained attack pets.... this is what people skilled for.

Taming and profitable. I swear, I nearly peed myself just a little. Thanks for the laugh.

So am I right in saying that if you were to quit tomorrow because your profession was taken away, as you suggested a few posts ago, you wouldn't sell a thing or chip out any skills? You'd just quit and leave everything in game as you'd gotten your entertainment out of it?

If it was such that I could not sell my gear or my skills, then yes I would just walk away. The money I have depoed was spent on entertainment, not on some illusion of investment. This is what I don't understand. Everytime I depo, I consider that money gone, never to be seen again, and as such, I only depo what I feel is fair for the entertainment. Are there seriously people who depo more then they feel is fair because they think of their proffesion as some kind of investment?

This is what I don't understand. Everytime I depo, I consider that money gone, never to be seen again, and as such, I only depo what I feel is fair for the entertainment.

Depositing and buying something are two different things. When you for example bought this chopper or made it intentionally or unintentionally you had invested in that item. Indeed you then made a sales thread to sell it:

www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?213772-Chopper-with-nice-paint-job

Whenever we buy anything in the game I and I think most people would consider it an investment. Sure, people invest for different reasons. Some invest/buy to use the item and at future date sell it when they no longer need it. They would hope to then sell it at the same price they bought it (so as not to loose out).

Some may well buy something in the hopes that it's value increases and hence they make a profit. For example CLD's is a good example.

I have never come across anyone who buys something in the hope it's value decreases and so they loose out. Does such a person exist?

I have never come across anyone who buys something in the hope it's value decreases and so they loose out. Does such a person exist?

Well that's something different, I don't hope the value of my stuff decreases, but if it does, it wont bother me, I'm not playing to make money(or even get my money back). I used to, and that just took the fun out of EU, made it to much like a job. But anyway, I think it's been explained well enough, people want to spend their money on a video game and have that spent money be worth something.
Oh well, taming will come back eventually, then we can see what the complaints are when it comes back.

Well that's something different, I don't hope the value of my stuff decreases, but if it does, it wont bother me, I'm not playing to make money(or even get my money back). I used to, and that just took the fun out of EU, made it to much like a job. But anyway, I think it's been explained well enough, people want to spend their money on a video game and have that spent money be worth something.
Oh well, taming will come back eventually, then we can see what the complaints are when it comes back.

You are a very clever person to be able to know why i and many others play the game, there is just one flaw...
I have never played this game to make a profit, i really couldnt be arsed, i work to make a profit in my every day job, so please dont make out you know why i play a game, you dont know me or anything about me so if you have opinions then voice them but dont try to make your opinions sound right by making shit up about others.

I have never sold a pet, i have never wanted to sell a pet, i couldnt be arsed selling pets, i skilled so once stage 2 came i could possibly tame bigger mobs and hand them out to soc members and mates, my reasons for skilling are like most higher skillers, we looked forwards to what was coming with excitment and interest.

You are the person who has made it look like it was dollar signs that made everyone do everything in this game no one else, no one ever mentions making profits or "i cant sell my pets now" anywhere that i have seen so perhaps get off your soapbox and read some shit before you keep replying with posts that just make you look more and more ill informed and well basically foolish.

This isnt an overnight issue we have been told over and over and over it will be next qrt, or next yer first qrt over and over and now we get told its in the pipeline :) when we were already told last qrt of this year, so its gone from last qrt of this year to now back in the pipeline where it supposedly was 6 years ago, this is obviously a very long pipe which also contains a bowl and you can light it as im sure MA are smoking this pipe if they think we actually beleive anything they say anymore.

I personally usually reply with "ahh ok i see, yep sorry i got the wrong end of the stick" but people like yourself just carry on in denile adding more rubbish to try and fashion thier posts into something that doesn't make them look like a fool, it isnt working btw.

I am sure if you were say a player like Nadie with lvls in the 100's and taming wasnt back by now you would just quit, hence this is why you look foolish everytime you upen your mouth in this thread. I am sure Nadie doesnt play the game to make a profit, yes im sure it would be nice to make a profit but you can bet most players are here for the enjoyment of it and get frustrated with being told one thing then it never seems to happen.

It's about time you players started supporting other players when they get messed around instead of turning on them, i dont bother with pk or space or many other things in the game but i beleive those who do deserve our support if something is done to them that isn't fair.

but then that's just me i am not a of your ilk... thankfully

Back