Help: Level 5 Amp - Mining

Status

Alins

Provider
Could somebody tell me what I did wrong? I bought my first Amp for 224 PED and I was excited to go for a run ... After less then one hour it was gone. I had to TT it for 4 PED.
And as a side: a got nada from that run (or should I say almost nada)

got nada from that run (or should I say almost nada)

Well, there is a big difference in "nada" and "almost nada". If you got no claim at all and you were mining planetside, you were most likely affected by a bug. If you were mining on FOMA or in Hell, you just had a bad run, nothing special.

If you got "almost nada", you most definately just got a bad run, can happen and will happen again.

an amp increases the drop cost (according to the efficiency factor of the amp, 20 pec per efficiency) in exchange for increasing the claims to be found accordingly. over the long run you should expect a 10 ped unamped ore claim to be 30 ped while amped with lvl 5 (adding 2 ped decay per drop = tripling the ore drop cost = tripling the claim).

note, "over the long run ... you should expect" includes everything from "your tt return will suck in one run" to "you'll get a jummy tower". maybe specify your tt return for the very run you report, it's not unusual to go down to 50% on planet, even less on foma/hell due to lower hitrate.

myself using the lvl 5 amps most of the time too (just when i scout new areas i do unamped), with observed return of around 80 to 90 % of tt input. a bankroll of ~2k ped is recommended in order to cycle enough for a healthy return without being dependend on the luck in only one run. your chosen mining area should yield an expected markup of at least 122% to break even (90% tt return, 110% MU for amp).

p.s. i wasn't mining since the latest vu, but forum reported some mining return issues lately if i am not mistaken, this could be a reason for the low return you perceive.

Well, there is a big difference in "nada" and "almost nada". If you got no claim at all and you were mining planetside, you were most likely affected by a bug. If you were mining on FOMA or in Hell, you just had a bad run, nothing special.

If you got "almost nada", you most definately just got a bad run, can happen and will happen again.

I just want to get a sense of how these Amps work. If you are saying that I have to spend 224PED + 100PED for probes and get nothing in return then I will not use Amps again. Ever .

Do runs of 20 amps, can't afford it ? do not run them :)

an amp increases the drop cost (according to the efficiency factor of the amp, 20 pec per efficiency) in exchange for increasing the claims to be found accordingly. over the long run you should expect a 10 ped unamped ore claim to be 30 ped while amped with lvl 5 (adding 2 ped decay per drop = tripling the ore drop cost = tripling the claim).

note, "over the long run ... you should expect" includes everything from "your tt return will suck in one run" to "you'll get a jummy tower". maybe specify your tt return for the very run you report, it's not unusual to go down to 50% on planet, even less on foma/hell due to lower hitrate.

myself using the lvl 5 amps most of the time too (just when i scout new areas i do unamped), with observed return of around 80 to 90 % of tt input. a bankroll of ~2k ped is recommended in order to cycle enough for a healthy return without being dependend on the luck in only one run. your chosen mining area should yield an expected markup of at least 122% to break even (90% tt return, 110% MU for amp).

p.s. i wasn't mining since the latest vu, but forum reported some mining return issues lately if i am not mistaken, this could be a reason for the low return you perceive.

Thanks for your answer. I realize now that it is too expensive for me to Amp so I should stay away from it.

Why on earth didn't you start with a Level 1 if you've never used an amp before? I see you've been playing since 2007, so you have no excuse in not knowing how amps work.

A level 5 is 98 drops of Ore, or 65 if you combine Ore/Enmatter. Thats not very many.

I've been using Level 5's for a while now, but I've worked my way up over several years using the smaller ones. Some runs only return 50%, but you have to be able to afford to get through to the one which gives you a big hit, and your Ped back.

I've done 6 runs in the last week, and if there was a bug after the last VU, it was either fixed quickly, or I didn't get it. (I think my returns on 5 were below average at about 50%, on the 6th I hit a XIX, so am probably in profit overall).

Why on earth didn't you start with a Level 1 if you've never used an amp before? I see you've been playing since 2007, so you have no excuse in not knowing how amps work.

A level 5 is 98 drops of Ore, or 65 if you combine Ore/Enmatter. Thats not very many.

I've been using Level 5's for a while now, but I've worked my way up over several years using the smaller ones. Some runs only return 50%, but you have to be able to afford to get through to the one which gives you a big hit, and your Ped back.

I've done 6 runs in the last week, and if there was a bug after the last VU, it was either fixed quickly, or I didn't get it. (I think my returns on 5 were below average at about 50%, on the 6th I hit a XIX, so am probably in profit overall).

I am playing for fun when I have the time... I am not addicted to this game. I hope.:computer:

Did you change mining location after getting maybe 5 nrf's in a row or just keep going ?

I am playing for fun when I have the time... I am not addicted to this game. I hope.:computer:

No, sorry mate, you are addicted. Just like the rest of us. If there is virtual heroin, this is the game. No matter how long you try and take a break for, you will come back for a hit.

Thanks for your answer. I realize now that it is too expensive for me to Amp so I should stay away from it.

Try using the Level 2 amp, it was my amp of choice for many years (Ore AMP 101 back in those days). You get a lot of drops per amp (just shy of 200, 196 I think) and I got many a good global from them. Not every run by any means, not even every third run, but overall I did very well with them. I don't remember when I switched to the Level 5 amp, but I think I was at level 35 before I tried them. My best HOF from one was a 900 ped Solis, I did do a lot of enmatter with them as well as ores.

Try using the Level 2 amp, it was my amp of choice for many years (Ore AMP 101 back in those days). You get a lot of drops per amp (just shy of 200, 196 I think) and I got many a good global from them. Not every run by any means, not even every third run, but overall I did very well with them. I don't remember when I switched to the Level 5 amp, but I think I was at level 35 before I tried them. My best HOF from one was a 900 ped Solis, I did do a lot of enmatter with them as well as ores.

/mod note/ While I'm sure your comment is well meant, the thread was posted over 3yrs ago and necro'd by the member in the post above yours. :)

:locked:

Status
Back