Wasp in Space

Lisbeth

Mature
Society
Angels of Peace
Lisbeth Wasp Sollander
Hi everyone Lisbeth here :)

I know a lot of people playing EU don't get terribly excited about roleplaying in game but there are few that do. I'm one of the ones that love getting into character and doing my thing.

Anyway, I did this kind of roleplay when I was welding on one of the Motherships while it was out in the training grounds being attacked by Space Mobs and relayed via the /soc channel what was going on. Of course if you are pretty much just standing there grinding that isn't very exciting. The version I wrote in /soc was maybe a little bit exaggerated but it was fun. My soc maties however were likely going insane listening to my imagined disasters, the horrific explosions and general mayhem going on during the space mob attacks. So I decided to give them a break from my over active imagination and started a blogger chronicling my adventures as a welder on the fleet of Motherships.

If you are interested here is the url for my blogger --> http://waspinspace.blogspot.com

Incidentally, I just posted chapter 7

Any feedback at all either good or not so good would be appreciated.

Laters Wasp

Last edited:
lol....

Rick in engineering today, waiting to undock and head for repairs at cosmics.

"Engineering at full power Captain, please engage impulse engines"

lol

Rick

Wow that was a great read through keep it up :D

Chapter 1 - Beginning

OK, here goes. I'm posting the first chapter of my role play story here just as a preview. Remember it is written in the style of a journal / diary and I'm not sure Wasp would want everyone to know what she has been up to.

<------------------------~O~------------------------>​

Cool that worked. I snapped the cover closed on my tool kit and stuffed it back into my pouch. With both hands I gently lowered the cover back into place on the ancient display panel. OK now that its working where do I start?

The Beginning

Many months ago I was looking into some prospects for employment and I ran across an advertisement for joining an off world excursion. At the time this seemed like a great idea, or at least it might be more fun than being hungry and eeking out living between situations that weren't remotely pleasant. So I signed up, name on the line the whole bit. After signing I got a leaflet with instructions and a ceramic card. Not a lot of real information in the 3 page leaflet. The ceramic card had a date and time lasered across the bottom and the letters PED engraved with a flourish in the center. OK got it, show up here, pointing to the map on the back of the leaflet, on this date, present card, no luggage allowed, one small carry bag, no explosives, no ignitable liquids, no weapons. Simple enough I didn't have that much stuff anyways. I poked the card into my pocket and went to find some food.

The next few weeks I had left on my dear old home world passed quickly. The night before departure I packed my pouch with all it would hold, my tool kit, toothbrush, couple pairs of underwear, my lock picks, my homemade pulsed quanta generalized inspection tool and a few odds and ends that made the pouch top the scales at just under a kilogram. I hopped in my bunk at the hostel and went to sleep.

The following morning I showed up early at the appointed place/date/time to get on with this new adventure. There were 20 of us in the waiting area. Have to admit I wasn't the the most down and out warm body there. When the chronograph showed the exact time on the card the main doors opened and a couple of overly cheerful morning types stepped through talking like maybe decaf would have been a good idea for the both of them. They called names off a pad and within couple of minutes we were all lined up heading down a narrow series of corridors. The sign above the last door we passed through said "PREP AREA - Authorized Access Only" in big glowing green letters.

Once inside the big half moon shaped Prep Area we were told to stand on the red big dots on the floor in the order we were called starting at the left most dot. After everyone was in position the couple that lead us here, who I assume were doctors, started doing the prep part. All in all the prep wasn't a big deal really. We all got a set of antiseptic smelling coveralls to wear and a couple of milliliters of tasteless stuff to drink followed by a quick scan with an instrument I would have love to have had the chance to take apart. When the last scan was done the flat side of the half moon shaped room opened up. The equipment on display was definitely some of the most rugged looking tech I have ever seen, trust me on this if you haven't seen it your self. This stuff was like ancient 28th century made out of silicon composite stone like awesomeness. The floor lighted up and we each followed the line from our current red dot to the next red dot at the end of the light embedded in the floor. Suddenly, it dawned on me this is the interstellar ship itself. As we all got to our new dots the flat side of the wall closed and the area around us came alive with techs in spiffy uniforms and some excellent looking tool pouches at their hips. Each of the cryogenic chambers had a tech fussing with the various displays and gadgetry. As the techs finished with the initialization routines the chamber lit up and you could tell they were done when the lids on the chambers slid up out of the way. We were all asked to climb into the chambers and relax.

Being the dutiful little lemming that I am I crawled in and allowed the techs to do to me whatever was required. Hoses were attached, a strap placed around my head, some special socks with wires coming out of them were fitted, a very soft mask covering my face was put on and a kind of weightless transparent foam covering was laid over my body. As the lid was being closed I was suddenly filled with a sense of apprehension followed by huge surges of doubt about what safety measures were being employed and finally with a feeling of total panic and the desire run for the doorway I had come through to get here. Then it all went fuzzy. Tingly skin, blurred vision, weird sounds and nausea like you would not believe. Then nothing until I was semi awake standing in a room with several of the other people I went through prep with. The words over the intercom were clear and very precise but didn't fully soak in at that moment. I do remember them although not clearly. At the time it was just words rumbling through my head. Something about DNA sequencing, recording, implants and revive terminals.

Then a nice lady with a cheery smile in a white coat took me by the arm and lead me to a platform. She told me that Port Atlantis was my next stop. I looked at her through squinted eyes and probably mumbled something unintelligible. The cryo area disappeared in a blue shimmering light.

Port Atlantis - bright glaring sunlight punished my not quite there yet eyes. Smells of the sea assaulted my nose in a thick, salty, dead fish, something burning, bird squawking, senses are all screwed up kind of way. Shaking my head I tried to move forward. There was a boardwalk I could see through my thick eyelashes. And a man standing there looking official. What the heck, why do my feet move so slowly like I'm walking in water. This doesn't feel right I remember thinking and it was awkward as heck as well. Trying to turn was like OK not in a full circle this time just to the right a little. Difficult first steps then it all seemed to more or less comeback but ever so slowly.

I stopped with one of the guys from the ship and listened to what the Officer in the uniform had to say. When he finished he pointed towards the city. Go there find this person and so on and so on and so on. OK, got it, find .. uhhh whats his name again? The same words out of his mouth the second time did register. Off towards the city I went. You know I never did see that guy from the ship again.

OK maybe this is going back too far. Sounds boring.

Q's: OK so where am I now? How much time has passed?
A's: Below the hanger deck on one of a fleet of Mother-ships, scrunched over a screen makeshift pad I salvaged from parts of a soon to be heaved out the airlock maintenance vehicle. Months have passed.

The gig on the planet didn't turn out to be that great. Sure it was fun exploring and trying to find stuff to do but crap its dangerous there. I mean every stinking thing on the planet is hostile. I remember the picture on the leaflet they gave me. Port Atlantis big as life in all its shiny glossy printed whiteness. Truth is its like a city block big. A small city block at that. And the turret guns didn't show up very clearly in the glossy photo either. When I first saw them I was puzzled why big guns like that might be needed in a seemingly civilized city. You really don't want to know but I'm gonna tell you anyways. Freaking big hungry pissed off animals, monsters actually, like nothing you have ever pictured in your most vivid nightmare. And get this the first paycheck is to go find these monstrous things and use this big bulky molded so you can't take it apart gun like thing that weighs close to a ton and extract sweat from them. Yeah, I had the same dumb look on my face when they told me that too. It sucked as a job but you gotta eat so sweat you do. But that doesn't have anything to do about why I'm below decks on a Mother-ship.

Gig number two was supposed to be a step up and away from the day to day hazards of being trampled and eaten by most of the planets native inhabitants. This time I read the fine print and let me tell you the guys that wrote the contract can write really small and they use a lot of words that seem to contradict the previous paragraphs. So the final thing to do is sign. As I moved the stylus towards the bottom of the display I got a feeling that I have been here before. Real deja-vu like. So I didn't sign just then. I flipped back a few dozen screens and read the intro again.

Come to Space. See the Stars. Be part of one of the biggest achievements of human kind. Feel the exhilaration of true faster than light travel. Be proud to be part of the dynamic crew aboard .. yada yada yada and so forth. Gah this stuff is mind numbing I thought at the time. Little did I know that that was their evil plan all along. Make it so complicated you sign on just to not have to think about it. God help me I signed it.

My berth on the ship is behind two out of the way welded to the floor shipping containers. I know they are secure because I welded them in place myself. Sure there are crew quarters and a mess and a place to hang out when not on duty but those are for paid crew. There are hammocks for the select few of us that signed on as non-paid crew. Indentured crew is what we have become. Indents for short. So as an Indent you have your assigned hammock and the bag you brought with you from home and a welder and some welding wire they sold to you on time in with interest in one of the hundreds of paragraphs of the contract. Since I was the only girl to sign on this round I really didn't feel comfortable in the assigned rack space the ship provided for us Indents. Most of the guys are alright and aren't a problem but a few, well let me just say that the bottomest of the bottom dwellers from back home are upright citizens in comparison.

Getting back to my berth behind the cargo containers. Luckily for once my somewhat smallish size has actually become an advantage. I can push my welder through the opening I left just barely and squeeze myself through into my berth just as barely. The hammock isn't bad and I keep it clean and fresh. I also stash food here, typically stuff I can forage when we deliver cargo to one of the planets we visit. You can live on haimoros, papplon, bombardo and caroot but it takes some getting used to. I have heard you can make a something called a nutrio bar with these fruit-vegetable-melon-plants. I stash food because I'm not paying to eat in the ship mess and add additional time to my "tour". Every time I scan the ceramic card they gave me I close my eyes and shake my head and mutter 'idiot' under my breath.

But you know the thing that gripes me most of all and this is a real issue at least as my card explains it to me in negative numbers. You can't fix the welder. When mine quit working the first time, I sat down on the floor and started taking it apart. As I dug into the guts of the broken device I discovered some serious design flaws. The thing was made to wear out. I was dumbfounded, I mean for goodness sake all the high tension components were fused into a solid block of alloy. I did a quick calculation of the number of welds I had made based on the approximate meters of welding wire left on the spool. All I could do was sit there and try not to cry. Replacing this pile of scrap will all but wipe out the merger amount of cash on my card.

<------------------------~O~------------------------>​

Chapter 2 - Double Shift is here --> waspinspace.blogspot.com/2013/01/chapter-2-double-shift.html

Thanks for reading and again any comments, suggestions or tiny friendly flames will be truly appreciated

Fun read! Something that I've never thought about before that your first chapter brought to light...... MAYBE EU needs some "Friendly" animals.... you know... just some creatures of the cute, fuzzy type roaming around the countryside... (Yes I know we have chirpy) either solo or in packs. Kinda like we have the fish swimming in the waters....

Menace

Being the dutiful little lemming that I am I crawled in and allowed the techs to do to me whatever was required....

My berth on the ship is behind two out of the way welded to the floor shipping containers. I know they are secure because I welded them in place myself.....

Some nice imagery with words you have there. Well done. :)

I forgot to mention that Chapter 3 is a little bit naughty so if you aren't 18 you maybe shouldn't read that one.

I forgot to mention that Chapter 3 is a little bit naughty so if you aren't 18 you maybe shouldn't read that one.
yeah it is :O

Wasp in Space - Live on AHR

Hi everyone HUGE update about my blogger rp Wasp in Space. DJ Yoshii will be reading part of my story on her show between 12:00 - 15:00 EU time, Tuesday, 5 March over Atlashaven Radio. Is that awesome or what?? Oh and she promised she would definitely be playing music as well :)

Look for a new chapter this week.

Chapter 8 - Robots

Posted a day or so ago. This has nothing to do with the current robot problems on Calypso. I chose this title a few weeks ago to match the outline I have done for the story.

Chapter 9 - Escape To What

Disaster magnet Lisbeth is still trying to get back to the Motherships of the Fleet and her "normal" life. Her encounters so far don't leave much hope of success though.

Will the naive noober get some clues and figure out what the heck to do next? Is there any possibility of her continuing her romance with whats his name? What if she does make it back?

Lots of if's with infinite possibilities and her excursion into the unknown has just begun.

Chapter 10 coming soon

Really enjoying your story, keep it up! :)

Ok, just read that whole thing...at work even, yikes....really good. You must get on with it tho! It's been months!

Back