How Hunting Skill Gains work

I might of missed something, but what about the sib levels on different weapons. For example, CB26 and Omegaton Fletcher are about the same dps, but the Fletcher is received at level 50 where the CB is level 34. It stands to reason the Fletcher would give better skill gains right? Did you find this to be true?

Nice research but i do think your missing one very big point that can have a huge influence and that is amount of mobs around you.

Try this, pull away a mob far far away from any other mobs and kill it and see how many skills you get. Then kill the same mobtype in a extremely dense spawn and you should see quite a big difference. ie your skillgains are not only affected by the mob you are shooting at.

Nice research but i do think your missing one very big point that can have a huge influence and that is amount of mobs around you.

Try this, pull away a mob far far away from any other mobs and kill it and see how many skills you get. Then kill the same mobtype in a extremely dense spawn and you should see quite a big difference. ie your skillgains are not only affected by the mob you are shooting at.

If that is true, hunting a mob in a very dense spawn should yield a lot more skill gain than hunting the same mob in a sparse spawn. I'd be surprised if that's the case I must say, but I've never tested it. It'd be easy to do though, something like Ambu would work since there plenty of natural sparse spawns and a ridiculously dense LA spawn at Nea's (still there I assume).

If that is true, hunting a mob in a very dense spawn should yield a lot more skill gain than hunting the same mob in a sparse spawn. I'd be surprised if that's the case I must say, but I've never tested it. It'd be easy to do though, something like Ambu would work since there plenty of natural sparse spawns and a ridiculously dense LA spawn at Nea's (still there I assume).

Yep it's still there.

Also if the guy who did this research i can show him something else that should impact the amount of skillgains but that he will have to contact me about in a pm :)

I might of missed something, but what about the sib levels on different weapons. For example, CB26 and Omegaton Fletcher are about the same dps, but the Fletcher is received at level 50 where the CB is level 34. It stands to reason the Fletcher would give better skill gains right? Did you find this to be true?

Well... I didn't specifically test this, as frankly, it never occurred to me! Also, if you think back to the old days when just about everything maxed at level 100, I doubt it would have occurred to MA to code it like this either.

So, personally I don't think the SIB level of weapons has a bearing on the pre-kill skill gains you get from using them. I think it's only damage dealt (or damage per second depending on the way you look at it) that is relevant.

In your example, an unamped Omegaton ASG-12 Fletcher (L) does 8% more damage per second than an unamped Isis CB26 (L) so I would expect you to get 8% more pre-kill skill gains (in TT value) per second from the former.

If you want to try to disprove this then that's fine with me!

Have fun!

Forrest :)

Last edited:
An update

Ardorj here appears to have proved a correlation between pre-kill attack-related skill gains and the COST of using the weapon, rather than DAMAGE DONE by the weapon. Clearly this difference is not massive but is interesting nonetheless.

So, if you kill an Atrox Young in 20 seconds and it costs you 4 ped in ammo and weapon decay you will get less skills than if you killed it in the same time and it cost you 5 ped, i.e. MA is compensating us in a small way for using uneco weapons, even though the loot will be the same.

This means my first and second graphs aren't 100% accurate, and therefore the formula in Post 27 isn't entirely accurate either.

Cheers,

Forrest :)

hmmm....somehow I do not quite get it...
Did you really scan all your skills before the final kill shot ? How did you do that ?
Or did you only count the green lines?.

Also I know from experience that using an unmaxed SIB gun gives way more skills than a maxed one (and accordingly less TT return), even if both have the same DPS. Maybe not more green lines, but definately more skills gained.

dunno...somehow the "1% of PEDS cycled converts into TT skills gained" rule of thumb seems easier to me then killing a gazillion of low level mobs.
Killing one Atrox young simply is faster then killing 90 punies (would not even know any spawn one could find a decent number of punies ). Even if there is a small bonus, I do not think it really helps if one factors in time needed, electricity burned and PEDs cycled to get the same skill when hunting something adequately big.

Last edited:
That might be some sort of a weird bug but I can see only A-C creatures listed in that document

Is this claim fact or fable ?

also i was thinking that the amount of green lines doesnt really matter. u could get 10 green lines, each increasing your skill by 1 pec or you could get 5 green lines who add 3 pec skills. just the amount of skillgain matters but not the amount of messages...

i had a few tests i wanted to run to add onto the data here namely,
the affects of being in a party on the occurrence and size of post skill gains
and the affects of being in a shared loot area on the occurrence and size of post skill gains

if being in a party or a shared loot area doesnt affect the occurence or size of post skill gains that could be major

example:
player 1 chooses to skill on carabok solo killing 1 every 5 seconds or so and gets a 7-8 tt to skill gain percent
player 2 chooses to skill in a major wave event with lv60+ mobs letting other players aggro them while they shoot the minimum damage* to qualify for a post skill gain and gets an unknown tt to skill return percent

*id imagine it would be 50% or so or that would be incredibly broken if you could just shoot a mob once and let everyone else kill it to maximize skill gains

provided they stayed alive they could in theory out skill player 1 for the same cost and time spent

Back