Why I like Entropia

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
(I hate placing threads in the Gen Dis section, but there's no real other place for this. Oh well.)

Why do I like this game so much? What's kept me around for so many years? Simple: Variety.

Unlike many games, I'm not stuck into a specific playing style, or forced to stay in the same profession. If I were, I'd have been bored and left long ago.

I've been an explorer. A soc leader. I've hunted big and small. Spent two years almost exclusively mining. Experimented with crafting, taming, mindforce, etc.

Even in hunting, there's so many choices. Do I:
  • Hunt big mobs or small?
  • Hunt mainly for skill gain?
  • Focus on MU?
  • Camp a mob?
  • Use laser? BLP? MF? Melee? Combination?
  • Do I try to hunt naked?
For a while, I did almost nothing but beacon runs. I spent time as a healer. Ran different ingame businesses. Occasionally I've gone hang out at the oil rig.

When a new planet opens I check it out.

Participated in lots of events/promotions, and ran plenty of my own events.

There's always something new to try.

Currently, I've sold all my gear (kept my skills) and am now playing "noobie hunter with skills", just to see if I can rebuild my whole inventory starting from just TT gear.

Why? Because it's a new challenge.

This Universe offers tons of "sub-games" that I could do if I want. All my friends and colleges participate in this same place, and they all do it differently. Some specialize in something. Others just bounce around. Some many different games within.

It works for me. I like it.

There are those in this community who are simply "professional complainers". All they do is complain. Some hold what little inventory they have, and bitch, hoping to create the changes needed so they can sell those items for mass profit. They don't play. They even admit it. Yet here they are, complaining on the forums, in Twin, where ever they can spread their ill will.

If within this entire Universe, you honestly can't figure out at least one method of playing that can make you happy, then leave. Please. Don't waste years of your precious life spreading bitterness into a game. It's not worth it. And there's so much more interesting things that you can do with your time.

Last edited:
If within this entire Universe, you honestly can't figure out at least one method of playing that can make you happy, then leave. Please. Don't waste years of your precious life spreading bitterness into a game. It's not worth it. And there's so much more interesting things that you can do with your time.

I view them as people who want to return, but dont know it yet. One day they will.

Good luck with the Puny / Daik / Foul / Merp JC. ;)

bloody good post :)

there's so much more interesting things that you can do with your time.

Really? then why do we play soooo much lol

as for professional complainers (Clothing looks like dung now)

hella good post though

Last edited:
Great post man, and so true!!

There are those in this community who are simply "professional complainers". All they do is complain.

I agree; there's a difference between periodic constructive criticism, and ceaseless whine posts which don't do any betterment to the game and it's developers, and the community. Unfortunately, people usually have a tendency to write complaints rather than praises. That's why I usually disregard review sites, and see for myself whether or not a product or service is up to my standards.

For instance, I like certain movies that got terrible reviews. None of that matters to me.

New PCF rule 6.66: "Empty Tracker - Ban Mzrfkr"

Would have +repped you for a very nice post, but need to spread it arround a bit first.

This game is amazing in my opinion because of the varaiaty and all its aspects. I just love the fact that my potential for growth inside the universe is unlimited, and I never get bored.

From what I can read in the many negative threads on this forum and from what I hear in game, the wast majority of the whiners just don't realize that this is mainly a game and not a business. Ofc it also has the possibility to work as a business for some, but then you have to treat it like one. From what I see, a whole lot of ppl treats it like a game, and except business results.

Another thing ofc is that you will find what you are looking for, it is like that in RL, and it is like that in this game. If what you are looking for is what is wrong and what doesn't work, guess what.. :) that is exactly what you will find, and it will never change unless you start looking for something else.

Cudos to you Capital for your positive focus, and for sharing it on the forum.

Yeah, I agree. Good Post.

And it's a bit of a paradox, that over the years our game has improved so much, in so many ways. Yet we always hear how the 'old days were much better'. :laugh:

Posts and replies like this is another reason in itself why the game is so good, even with some professional complainers, there are many people who do well and spread cheer, help and joy :yay:

I love this game too :love:

There are those in this community who are simply "professional complainers". All they do is complain. Some hold what little inventory they have, and bitch, hoping to create the changes needed so they can sell those items for mass profit. They don't play. They even admit it. Yet here they are, complaining on the forums, in Twin, where ever they can spread their ill will.

This just points out that you have no earthly idea why some people think that Entropia Universe isn't succeeding in making the game, which POTENTIAL lured them into playing when the game was called Project Entropia. Sure, the game is hooking as hell, but as the core hasn't changed at all in ten f*king years, I'm starting to lose my faith that Entropia Universe could be something more than an endless grindfest. Lately I haven't enjoyed my grind, and this post just got me thinking about quitting.

All in all, my two cents: If you have something to say, f*king say it. If it's negative and hurts someone's feelings; who cares, it's your opinion and you still have freedom of speech.

All in all, my two cents: If you have something to say, f*king say it. If it's negative and hurts someone's feelings; who cares, it's your opinion and you still have freedom of speech.
:eyecrazy:
Seriously???

EDIT:
Hmm... Not sure you meant it as bad as it came out. You might want to clarify or moderate it, cause it makes you sound like a real... Ehm... not very nice person. ;)

Seriously???

EDIT:
Hmm... Not sure you meant it as bad as it came out. You might want to clarify or moderate it, cause it makes you sound like a real... Ehm... not very nice person. ;)

Honesty is so rare, that it now leaves those capable of it open to accusations of being "bad people" ^^ That's insane !!!! if youre offended by honnesty then perhaps honnesty is not what you seek, in which case i would say you seek people capable of less honesty than him to please you better. Truth ^^ He was too honest for you ^^

This cut and paste conformist society leaves less and less room for originality and true expression, if not by law then our own will be turned on us with wagging fingers.

On topic

Dont like jumping on the bandwagon, but i do agree EU does offer many many different avenues of "play" to anyone willing to challenge themselves. I like EU, went form PK fame to Ultimate Pirate, now onto my next challenge in a new direction...... cause there is JUST enough room in EU, so i can ^^

Cheers

DCF

Last edited:
Seriously???

EDIT:

I put things straight. I don't try to hurt anyone's feelings, but I rather say it loud and straight than pretending that I'm happy and everything is going good (this is actually what our Moderator wants). The game and the community gots serious problems if they can't live with people's real opinions.

Edit. Sure you shouldn't attack anyone's person. You shouldn't say hurtful things about others, but if you say something about the game which you don't like and it hurts someone's feelings that you said something like that... Well, I thought we weren't in the kindergarden.

Last edited:
I love the sci-fi theme and the thought of colonising an alien planet. I also love the fact that it has a rce that is setup so you will loose 5% on everything you do, the fun comes from profiting despite the odds :D

If this game was 100% f2p with no rce it would be the most boring grindfest ... eva

(I hate placing threads in the Gen Dis section, but there's no real other place for this. Oh well.)

Why do I like this game so much? What's kept me around for so many years? Simple: Variety.

Unlike many games, I'm not stuck into a specific playing style, or forced to stay in the same profession. If I were, I'd have been bored and left long ago.

I've been an explorer. A soc leader. I've hunted big and small. Spent two years almost exclusively mining. Experimented with crafting, taming, mindforce, etc.

Even in hunting, there's so many choices. Do I:
  • Hunt big mobs or small?
  • Hunt mainly for skill gain?
  • Focus on MU?
  • Camp a mob?
  • Use laser? BLP? MF? Melee? Combination?
  • Do I try to hunt naked?
For a while, I did almost nothing but beacon runs. I spent time as a healer. Ran different ingame businesses. Occasionally I've gone hang out at the oil rig.

When a new planet opens I check it out.

Participated in lots of events/promotions, and ran plenty of my own events.

There's always something new to try.

Currently, I've sold all my gear (kept my skills) and am now playing "noobie hunter with skills", just to see if I can rebuild my whole inventory starting from just TT gear.

Why? Because it's a new challenge.

This Universe offers tons of "sub-games" that I could do if I want. All my friends and colleges participate in this same place, and they all do it differently. Some specialize in something. Others just bounce around. Some many different games within.

It works for me. I like it.

Almost like a playboy - a modern version of a public Casanova who seek for women of his dreams and need always new challenge and experience in hope that it will be a right one.
But by definition you cant find something enought good to keep you for a long.
So you tryed all you cud find in this game and nothing was enought good to keep doing it.
But you always return to your forum.
So stop looking, you already found it.

Very nice post John.

I agree the variety to choose your activities as you feel like it, is what makes EU so appealing. With some confidence to persue personal dreams or ambitions is another key factor for making progress and really enjoy your time here.

I wish more would take on the challenges EU offers us in a big way. It does take money to really make massive progress, but that is the place where you can seek the most pleasure.

It is a hard game, those challenges do not suit everyone, but to reach a skill level that you have fought so hard to achieve, is so satisfying.

i accept the costs of the game, and try to compare it with other hobbies to justify it. How much would it cost me to own a few classic cars, or be football fan, or other type of hobby.

I wish you well with your new challenge John.

EU is special to me too.

Rick

I love this game, because it gives you a lot of freedom. The game isn't expecting you to do things. When you start playing for the first time, you can simply get lost in the game, really lost. You could even wind up on another planet ( as a repair skiller) and not know it until you fly out of a mothership and notice the planet doesnt look like calypso. You can enter buildings and vehicles like gta and the world seems endless ( until you fly to the edge of a sea, which you normally wouldn't. The game gives you a feeling that it's real. I remember playing half-life and then sometimes there were open areas, where you could look at the sky (unlike all other dungeon fps shooters of that time), those details gave that game also a sense of reality, although you couldn't go there, and if you did you knew it was just a background made of pixels. In this game you tend to forget it's all just pixels. And that is a real accomplishment.

This just points out that you have no earthly idea why some people think that Entropia Universe isn't succeeding in making the game, which POTENTIAL lured them into playing [/U]
+Rep

I do like the game. It is challenging. It is HUGE compared to other games. It is a constant struggle to decide what to do next.

However, I do agree, the POTENTIAL and WHAT COULD BE that just IS NOT is why I'm constantly let down.
Bugs, graphic glitches, unusable items, unusable professions, unusable estates, vast expanses of emptiness, half developed stuff that doesn't function the right way... promises constantly broken time after time after time after time...

boring grinding... boring music and sounds - why not put in a few variations on mob animations and sounds - I mean we are killing the same type of mob over and over and over thousands of times in these iron man missions. Gets a little old seeing the same thing over and over and over again after a while. There's a lot of creative types in the community. Neverdie got his songs in to the game ultimately. why not have contests to have more make music to go in as background sounds. The handful of tunes that play over and over and over gets a little old if you hear it hundreds or thousands of time... which is why I honestly think about 50% of the community or more probably just play with the volume on mute as they have movies, tv stations, pandora, or radio playing irl in the background... This immersive environment is diminished...

The game's gotten 'too big' for it's britches... there's too much workload for the amount of people running the show, so they half ass it... AND IT SHOWS.

Devs need to cut way back and fix what's not working right instead of constantly throwing new crap in to the mix. As more and more is thrown in more bugs and things continue to grow and grow. They need to get back to the roots, find out what's not working where and fix it all BEFORE going forward throwing in new crap every year - like Medusa Head, like the moon, etc. If they spent ONE YEAR minimum just fixing bugs and exploits on EVERY PLANET and in the SYSTEMS themselves BEFORE adding any more content at all I suspect 95% of the negativity and whining would probably go away since there would not be any need for any of it.

Then take 6 months to add new content that upholds promises made in the past.. and blamo... hell of an awesome game would be here that many would be proud to be in and tell their friends about, etc.

------------side note--------------

Sometimes mirrors can be useful... When you point a finger at someone you typically are pointing a few back at yourself. Constantly complaining and whining about whiners IS one major whiny trend that happens a lot in the forums that drive a bunch of folks away I suspect. Funny that some mods are the gang leaders in that trend. Funny that some members of the news team, that are supposed to be neutral 'reporters' follow that trend too...

"Propaganda tries to force a doctrine on the whole people... Propaganda works on the general public from the standpoint of an idea and makes them ripe for the victory of this idea."
- Adolf Hitler in his book Mein Kampf (1926)

Last edited:
Very good post JC.

Even for people like me that are very unhappy with the state of affairs in certain areas, the good thing is: only activities one choses to pursue cost money.

I think JWT and the rest of the board members are still capitalizing pretty well off the game, and complaints don't really matter when they still earn enough money to lead the lifestyle which they choose.

If the complaints which you mentioned were a big enough issue for a large enough amount of players to establish serious complaints which resulted in a lack of revenue, then those things may get fixed. However, that has not happened (yet).

So true; good post. We all have gripes from time to time, but if all you've got left are complaints, why waste your time here? Life is too short.

I think the main reason I like this game is because it is not a simple game and there is plenty of lower cost and free activities when you have spent your budget for the month. Always something new to explore, and lots of forums to read and post on.... I never liked games where there is one or a few relatively fixed paths to follow and a cheat sheet/book which you can follow step by step and get to the game end(as my son would say 'beat the game')....

So true; good post. We all have gripes from time to time, but if all you've got left are complaints, why waste your time here? Life is too short.

Some people like this game more then others but in the final all of us love it.

The real players like this game complain because they want it better because they see huge potential. ..

People stay back dont complaining they definitely dont love this game because like we know this game if full of bugs and broken promesses

This game kicks my ass almost every day I log into it , which is one of the main reasons I continue to log into it almost every single day.

I have spent more of my allowance which my most generous and lovely wife , allows me to spend monthly , and I return to spend every month.

I have grown past the addiction and into a more subdued path of grinding on large , medium , small and puny animals to keep the skills slowly moving forward.

I have made many friends along the way and if at any time I no longer enjoy the journey , there is a big X at the top right hand corner of my screen to exit , stage right or is that left?

Bones

You know what I fucking hate?

I hate with an incredible passion that you don't like to use the General Section and that it is horribly underused. This game has the most dead, lifeless, and boring general section of any game ever.

The General Section of a game's forum is what sparks life into it, we need more threads like these.

Dont like jumping on the bandwagon...
Oh Daisy, you try so hard to be such a bad girl. Bless your heart. Live it loca, chica. :hug:

JC, great game, open sandbox with plenty of options. You nailed it. As for the whiners, well, "whining" about them is like pissing into the wind.

never mind about this.

Back