FYI: ESI Different Skill Compression

RickEngland

Elite
Society
Jurai Blood
Rickard Rick England
Something for discusssion.

If I understand skill compression correctly, then more earned skill means more compression. Which means the more skill you have the less points that are required to fill a small ESI.

Not long ago I remember reading that MA said they have made it easier for newbies to gain skill, the first thing I thought was "I worked harder for my skills years ago", when it took much longer to add skill.

So heres an interesting thing, occasionaly I check to see how much i can put on an ESI if I chipped some skill out (not intending to, but I like to check).

I would say 50% of my pyro has been skilled in the last year. However I've hardly touched my electric in a year. I have over 300 points more pyro than electric, which means I should be able to put less Pyro on the same small ESI than electric. however it is the other way around.

Which means compression is "less" (different) for the freshly earned skills.

Now before people start ranting, I think this is a good move, as it protects those that had to work harder for their skills. But skill would now appear visual only, with different compression rates.

Now I hope I dont upset MA with this thread, as anyone could have checked it, but those using external tools to value thier skill maybe now have to take another approach.

I'm pleased personally that my skills that had more compression, still retain that "much tougher" compression rates. Although the unlocks I guess are now much easier to achieve.

I expect this to be a popular thread, I trying hard not to over post these days. But thought you might like this one.

Pics below are with the same 18 odd peds ESI.

electric (less skill, 36 points on ESI)

Pyro (more skill, but 54 points on the same ESI)

Rick

It has nothing to do with when you gained the skills. The ESI TT value to skill level is not linear so there are points where skilling slows down or speeds up. You just happen to be comparing two points where around 7000 it is slow and 7300 it is faster. It's been this way for a long time, if you use jdegre's chipping optimizer you'll see that at 7000 skill an 18 ped ESI gives you 35 points. at 7300 it gives you 50, and at 7500 it gives you 28.

It has nothing to do with when you gained the skills. The ESI TT value to skill level is not linear so there are points where skilling slows down or speeds up. You just happen to be comparing two points where around 7000 it is slow and 7300 it is faster. It's been this way for a long time, if you use jdegre's chipping optimizer you'll see that at 7000 skill an 18 ped ESI gives you 35 points. at 7300 it gives you 50, and at 7500 it gives you 28.

Well thank you very much Karmic. I never realised skill gain speeds up and slows down, I thought it was just a tighter curve the more skill you gained.

Thanks

Rick

Hmmm i also thought that is always like this:
7000-7250 is easier to get (less TT value to get) than 7250-7500

It actually seems out of logic to be oposite but Ricks experiment with ESI clearly shows you are right Karmic.

Wierd :eyecrazy:... to be honest i am confused.

And i thought i know everything there is to know about skills :dunce:.

Falagor
:bandit:

Just to illustrate what has already been said by Karmic already, following graph shows the TT amount required (Y axis) to gain 100 skill points in the range of 0 - 2500 skill points (X axis).

The same graph can be made for the higher skill point intervals.

Today ppl tend to forget about skill walls because MA removed them on lower lvls like it was in past 1900-2000+, 2900-3000+....

Back