Help: Starting A Transportation Business on Calypso (no space travel)

JohnRed

John Red Wit
I have tried to find some information on this searching the forums without success.

I have recently come into posession of a sleipnir, and a good quantity of oil to run it. I am thinking about starting a transport business to make some peds.

1- How should I base my prices?

2- If I base my prices on fuel, how can I ensure payment after arrival?

3- How should I price if I am not going to use the fuel usage as the base charge?

4: How should I base my prices: fuel usage, or some other method?

I can see only 2 question.

1.how can I ensure payment after arrival? - take money before travel :laugh:

2.How should I base my prices? - just copy the prices of other people doing the same :laugh:

Edit: o and I just read (no space travel)

Then I change my answer to: forget it, you will have like 1 client per 3 months.

but if I have to be good and answer

answers again but not for space:

1.how can I ensure payment after arrival? - take money before travel or risk it :laugh:

2.How should I base my prices? - see how much fuel do sleip use per minute, and then charge per minute (fuel cost +small profit) :dunce:

Last edited:
People actually pay for that? :D Before MA forbade us to visit PA servers, I hung around Icarus every day offering free rides to Twins, Nea's, etc and nobody cared :)

If you want to start a taxi service, I would go for space. Planetside it's not worth it

Don't pirates hang around orbiting caly?

Vehicles are so common nowadays ain't no way you'd get any business planetside. Space maybe, but then you gotta compete against quad's, privateers & Motherships.
(Most people don't pay for a sleipneir flight) when there's quad flights during most of the time.

So you won't earn much money at all with a sleipneir. Your best bet is to sell the sleipneir and get a quad and space thruster and do space taxi calypso -> cp/foma.

I agree on all the above posters saying don't bother with taxi service on planet. However, once or twice I have payed a ped or two, to get a TP open I didn't have.

Good on you for the initiative :)

How about thinking outside the box (while still inside the planet atmosphere ;) ) and offering a kind of delivery service? If you get a few good contacts under your belt, you could for example bring ammo to uber hunters who are in the middle of a run and don't want to go to the tt.

You would need some peds to kick it off, but in theory they would send you a quick pm saying " bring 500 ped weapon cells to /pos)" You grab the cells get their pronto. They trade you all the crap hunting loot they were going to tt, and the rest in peds. Then you take the stuff that was going to be tt'd and sell it.

Pro for hunter is they dont have to stop the hunt, and shift the crap thats making them heavy that they would have tt'd anyway.

Pro for you is you have a little niche industry and a foot hold on becoming a trader :)

Just a thought :)

As for space, its a fiercely competitive industry up there. Bear in mind there are motherships running flights to others planets safely that just last a few seconds for only a few ped.

However many of them do run in the evenings, could be space for taxing during the down time :)

A vtol wouldn't really stand much chance I'm afraid. A vtol is slower than a quad, but a quad running at "out of hours" times could sure spin some peds if you have the patience :)

You could be a mobile trade terminal/repair terminal once you have the funds for it.

Mobile Trade Terminal, you just need 1k peds and be willing to go wherever the hunter is, take xxx ped of ammo, and trade him for his low markup loot.
(your profits come from selling the low mu loot for low mu when you only paid tt+travel to get it)

Mobile Repair terminal, buy an A103 & A104, and maybe a beast, and be willing to trade your fully repaired one for their broke one + peds. (You may not profit from this beyond tips, but will further encourage people to use your mobile trade terminal service)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, your imagination is the limit.

Good on you for the initiative :)

How about thinking outside the box (while still inside the planet atmosphere ;) ) and offering a kind of delivery service? If you get a few good contacts under your belt, you could for example bring ammo to uber hunters who are in the middle of a run and don't want to go to the tt.

You would need some peds to kick it off, but in theory they would send you a quick pm saying " bring 500 ped weapon cells to /pos)" You grab the cells get their pronto. They trade you all the crap hunting loot they were going to tt, and the rest in peds. Then you take the stuff that was going to be tt'd and sell it.

Pro for hunter is they dont have to stop the hunt, and shift the crap thats making them heavy that they would have tt'd anyway.

Pro for you is you have a little niche industry and a foot hold on becoming a trader :)
That's quite brilliant I might add. Not just for ubers, but for people who have weapons that needs to be repaired frequently, an example is Philosopher's sword, the owner can trade the sword to the guy (the owner pays the peds to repair it and other guy provides collateral) then flies back to repair it and comes back. While the other owner still has another philosopher's sword on him. So this way he can continuously hunt with just two philosopher's sword :). It's like having a "mobile repair terminal" :D

@Narfi,

Both of those are fantastic ideas and would be especially beneficial during the big events and even the smaller ones!

Great Ideas!

Yeah. Those are pretty good ideas. I am looking to do jobs to earn some peds so maybe i can do this. If you guys know any hunters that might need someone to do these kinda things, I would love to contact them and have a chat.

Back