32- vs 64-bit requests -

Naomi

Elite
Society
Rangers
Naomi NP Polder
We live in the western world where bigger is supposed to mean better. Higher numbers equal GOOD. TV screen resolutions, cars HP, the size of apples and vegetables,...
This does not always work for coding, as far as I understand it. Please allow me to clarify:
(a 'click' means more or less the time memory needs to be accessed)

I'll use the following example:
A program gives 2 requests for 2x12 bits of memory code

Case 1: 32bit program, 32bit OS,
- click 1: 32bit consisting of 12bit code, + 12 bit code, + 8 bit unused;
- click 2: 32bit consisting of 12bit code, + 12 bit code, + 8 bit unused.

Case 2: 32bit program, 64bit OS, OS takes care of convergion,
- click 1: 64bit consisting of 2 blocks of 32bit code (consisting of 12bit code + 12bit code, + 8 bits unused)

Case 3: 64bit converged program, 64bit OS
- click 1: 64bit consisting of 12bit code, + 12 bit code, + 40 bit unused;
- click 2: 64bit consisting of 12bit code, + 12 bit code, + 40 bit unused.

Case 4: 64bit NATIVE program, 64bit OS:
- click 1: 64bit consisting of 4 blocks of 12bit code, + 16 unused (room for another request within this click :)

Conclusion: only Case 2 and Case 4 are fast, Case4 would have been even faster if the program needed 5 sets of 12bit code.

So... I wonder if EU 64-bit works so slow, because it works like Case 3 ?
feel free to assist when I'm wrong in my pov here :)

Well to confuse matters, my Laptop Win7 64Bit runs the 64Bit client loader without a problem, but sluggish and slow graphic load ups. But my PC Win7 64Bit only works with the 32Bit client loader...no idea why my PC has spat the dummy when it has a 3Gb NVIDIA card huge amount of RAM and i& processor...

Something is wrong, but MA needs to clarify what? Your ideas may be correct, what will MA do about it and why has this not been tested before release?

I have not tried the new 32 bits client yet, so no idea if there is much difference play wise.

Only time that the new 64 bits client seems slow to me is during login when I need to wait a few secs more.

Otherwise, moving around and doing my general activities seem similar. Actually, in the 64 bits, I think it may be caching more of the textures and stuff - my wait when I enter a service center packed with others seem lesser. Previously I needed a few secs to get the auctioneer / tech / other avatars loaded.

On a more technical point, when running under 64 bits, you also get to use the extra registers in the CPU which you can't in 32bits mode. That alone (assuming software is optimised to use those) will provide a benefit.

I have yet to see the game client use more then about 1.5 GB of ram when running in a window. I was expecting it to use more of my ram, considering I have 12 GB.

In practice there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in code execution speed of 32 bit vs. 64 bit if the code is written half-decently as the compiler takes care of optimising the executable for the target platform and CryEngine 2 was already written with 64 bit in mind so it should be well written by default.

The main benefit of 64 bit is additional memory accessibility and given the potentially large amount of stuff the client can load during a session this should allow:
1. More content to be cached, reducing the loading time if you revisit an area.
2. More content to be pre-loaded in the background thus reducing initial loading times for common content (e.g. items).

The communities posts in other threads indicate how well MindArk has managed the introduction of the 64 bit client and the overall 'improvements' in VU14.3 :)

- Deathifier

programs dont ask for "12 bits" as suggested, they'll ask for a an int or long int which where 32bit and 64bit in size, but in x64 are both 64 bit anyway. the speed of getting a 32 or 64bit address isnts changed in 64bit computing, however larger registers may mean performance increases as there's less calls to cache or main memory. but its marginal. what 64 bit does mean is that you'll likly take up more space in memory for any data less than a int will still take up 64 bits as that the size of a pointer address. (this is as i recall, dozen years sinc ei studied this stuff).

The main benefit of 64 bit is additional memory accessibility and given the potentially large amount of stuff the client can load during a session this should allow:
1. More content to be cached, reducing the loading time if you revisit an area.
2. More content to be pre-loaded in the background thus reducing initial loading times for common content (e.g. items).
Agree, but what's more important is, that it'll allow clients to handle areas with many more avatars and mobs.
Good news for newbie areas and maybe a future LG, bot attacks, huge events etc. :yay:

(Maybe that's what you meant with 'content cache' too, though it's not caching imo)

Back