How to: Use Entropia IRC Live Chat

King Buzzo

Provider
Banned
Society
The Jaded Crown
King Buzz Buzzo
I have had a few friends recently ask me for this information so, I thought I would compile it in one easy place!

IRC has been a part of this game since before ingame chat and societies were implemented. It is a great place to get technical game and computer questions aswered as well as meet new faces. So, doo eeeet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set-up and connect to IRC:

By far the most popular and trusted IRC program is mIRC . Therefore, I will use that as my example (plus it's free).

Download and install mIRC from http://www.mirc.com/get.html

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

After this is done (about 2 minutes) launch mIRC and hit 'Continue'.

Now the 'mIRC Options' screen pops up. Enter your 'Full Name', 'Email Address' and the 'Nickname' you would like to go by.

On the left panel under 'Servers' Click 'Add' and fill in 'Description' and set 'IRC Server' to pechat.spacedump.net and hit 'Add'.

Now hit the 'Connect to Server' button and chat away!

There are also sites, such as this one, that host Java based chat connections to the channel. Here is a short list of the ones I know about:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/chat/index.php?
http://e-pec.info/forum/index.php?automodule=javairc

The following are some basic IRC Commands for you to play with:

/HELP [ command ] Shows general help or help on the given command.

/LIST [ [ { flags } ] { channel mask } ] Lists all current channels.

In the list you will see all channels (see below), except for those that are secret, with their number of users and the topic. The displayed list may be quite long, so you can limit it using flags. "/LIST -MIN n" for instance removes channels with less than 'n' users from the output.​

/JOIN { #channel } Sets your current channel to the supplied channel.

Upon entering a channel, you are given useful details about it: a list of users talking in that channel, channel mode settings and the topic... Joining a channel does not cause you to leave your previous channel and you can normally join as many channels as your connection can handle or that the IRC server allows.​

/PART [ #channel ] Makes you leave a channel. (same as LEAVE)

/QUIT [ reason ] Exits your IRC session. (Also BYE and EXIT.)

If a reason is supplied, it is displayed to other people on your channels.

/QUIT Lunch Time!​

/NICK { nickname } Changes your nickname to whatever you like.

Everyone who wants to talk to you sees this name. Nicknames are limited to 9 characters max. If your intended nickname clashes with someone else's as you enter IRC, you will not be able to enter until you change it to something else. Duplicate nicknames are not allowed; this is enforced by the IRC servers. Under some circumstances, two individuals may temporarily have the same nick but once discovered, both of them will be killed; a nick collision kill.

/NICK Guru
--- Newbie is now known as Guru​

/AWAY [ away message ] Sets your status as away with some info.

Sets a message explaining that you are not currently paying attention to IRC. Whenever someone sends you a MSG or does a WHOIS on you, they automatically see whatever message you have set. Using AWAY with no parameters marks you as no longer being away.

/AWAY Gone to get a cup of coffee.
--- You have been marked as being away

/AWAY
--- You are no longer marked as being away​

/WHOIS { nickname } Shows information about someone.

/WHOIS Guru
--- Guru is master@some.network.net (Nuclear free)
--- on channels: @#Windows @#Windows95 #mIRC
--- on via server irc.server.net (The best server)
--- Guru is away (making dinner)

/WHOIS Newbie
--- Newbie: No such nickname​

/INVITE { nickname } { #channel } Invites another user to a channel you are on.

If you want a friend to join your channel you can invite him. He will see a message such as ---Guru invites you to #channel. This is required if your channel is 'invite only'.

/INVITE Friend #windows
--- Inviting Friend to #windows

If you receive an INVITE message, you can type "/JOIN { #channel } ".​

/ME { action description } Tells people about what you are doing.

At times, you may want to send a description of what you are doing or how you are feeling or just anything concerning you on the current channel or in a query.

/ME slaps Newbie with a large trout.
- Guru slaps newbie with a large trout.​

Please feel free to add your thoughts and corrections. I am by far not an expert. However, if I can get IRC set up in five minutes anyone can! :D

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice tutorial Buzzo :D

I was searching for the irc channel after hearing references made to it but couldnt find any, this has been most helpful thanks!

A very great and simple tutorial on how to use the EU Channel on IRC, if you plan on continuing it, you might want to add some basic commands like: /server - /join - /me - /nick :D

Thanks guys. I hope people find it usefull. :D

nice post, maybe add something on setting up port tunneling for us stuck behind firewalls at work ;)

kygon said:
nice post, maybe add something on setting up port tunneling for us stuck behind firewalls at work ;)

I am not that skilled. But maybe someone else will post the information?

I added some basic command to the info :D

Can anyone help with this firewall issue?

By the way, great to see new faces in the chat!!!

King Buzzo said:
Can anyone help with this firewall issue?

I have one solution, but it has some limitations.

First of all, you need SSH access to a computer (like your home computer running an SSH server) and the firwall has to allow outbound SSH connections. Then you need a SSH client with tunneling support. I recommend Putty, and here's how you set it up:

From the starting screen select Connections -> SSH -> Tunnels
There are two fields that you need to fill: Source port and destination.

Type a port number from your local computer (for example 6667 is a good choice for IRC) to the source port field. Then type the destination address <server>:<port> so in this case irc.pe-chat.net:+9999 for SSL connection (haven't tested with SSL, so I don't know if the syntax in putty allows that + there and if it works correctly there) or irc.pe-chat.net:6667 for non-secure connection (correct me if that was not the default port on pe-chat). Then click on "Add".

Then go back to the start page (Session) and make sure SSH is selected, type in the address to the SSH server that you have access to (your home computer or other SSH server) and connect. You can also save the session, so the tunneling settings stay there and you can just select the tunnel session from the list later. You can minimize the Putty window now, as it is just working as a tunnel.

Then just set your IRC-client to connect to your own computer and the defined source port in the Putty tunnel like this: /server localhost:6667 and you should have a working tunnel for IRC. When you disconnect, Putty automatically closes the tunnel and the open window.

Last edited:
King Buzzo said:
The following are some basic IRC Commands for you to play with:
You should probably mention something about Trout as warning? :laugh:

Yes! Look out for the infamous trout slap! Or even more deadly, the marmosets. ;)

Back