JohnCapital: Mod No More

Lots of hard work went into a very thankless and often criticized job that you have been doing JC.. It was a pleasure having u here as a mod and quite honestly, i doubt we will get someone quite as capable and dedicated anytime soon.

Cheers

Best of luck to you and thanks.

:tiphat:

Lol.

I'm serious though, he has been a good mod. I was here during the MindBuster days, when rabid trolls roamed the forums in packs and gained up on any noob brave enough to post something positive or constructive.

The forum has come a long way since then. John has in fact done a good job while allowing a reasonable amount of shenanigans, at least enough to keep things interesting.
I whole heartily agree! :beerchug:

ohh..I always found you just and very intelligent with everything you have said. Good luck and I hope all will be wonderful for you.You will be missed. Thank You for your time and headaches..I will so miss this ;;>:locked: You were awesome ,I can only hope your replacement can put societies aside and not be swayed as everyone expects. I will watch..:D

Tank you very much for all ur hard and well performed work for us here on the forums JC :wtg:
U will be much missed indeed.
I wish u all the best in whatewer u up to in the future m8, take care out there i se u around some where :)
:beerchug:

Thanks for all the good work m8, appreciate everything, even the ban or two I had from you, when raging over the PCF :D

Thank you. Glad for not being part of those who contributed to your hard work, which i could appreciate from distance. Well done.

May life be good with you.

Aw, that's a pity. I think u were a damn good mod.

U deserve a deep bow of respect (Japanese style).
May all the good karma return to you.

227583d1330525069-football-manager-base-memes-mod.png

Thanks for all the years.

:)

I have to make 2 posts here, because I know the other will be moderated... My 2nd post will follow this.

JC... You have been the best asset this forum has ever had, you were fair, you were outspoken, you balanced things, you always made a choice when you were posting as a 'mod' or a 'player'... Most of all I always respected you... You leaving will be a great loss to this forum.

Thank you for your service and fair minded dedication... I wish you all the very best in RL.... Q!

Being a Mod is very hard work indeed. Thanks for years of keeping our forums clean. Good luck in all future endeavours.

There are other mods???? Hah! I know there are others, and see them - but you are always the one I really see. I know you did a lot, but had no idea. Thank you so much for all you did for this community. I applaud your ability to see that it is time to step away - and do it in such a responsible manner. Thanks John!

and, I think you should moderate one of these replies just for old times sake!!

I have to make 2 posts here, because I know the other will be moderated... My 2nd post will follow this.
For a moment i was thinking you'll do the Cheshire Cat trick - never make the 2nd post so ppl would assume it was deleted already by the evil mod. :wtg:

The cat disappeared gradually until nothing was left but its grin...

Tbh, I never thought about how much work and how much balancing you mods had to do. Thank you for all the time and effort you had to spend. It is easy to look at a mod's actions subjectively...as in "omg, he affected ME", and I have been guilty of that in the past, but over time I came to learn that when it is looked at objectively, it truly is an important function, and though it might not have always been perfect, it was still a wonderful (and necessary) job you did.

I agree with a few of the other words people have used to describe you in this thread. "Dedicated", yes. "Balanced", yes. Outspoken, hell yeah (this is a good thing!) and most of all, I could tell that above all, you cared one hell of a lot for the game in general.

Thanks, JC!

Sad to see you step down but it's understandable. Hope other mods follow your example and don't turn in to forum nazis.

Thank you John for your time, dedication, professionalism and for having to have to deal with douche-bags like me :Yup:

It's time for me to step down as moderator for both PCF and EF. I'll still be on the forums, just as a lowly player again.

Before the rumors start I'll say this:
No person, nor event on the forums nor ingame made me quit. I simply don't have enough time IRL anymore. This has been planned for a long time now. Thus the reason why Serica was brought on and given time to learn the ropes.

I believe 711 has plans to bring on more mods. The trick is finding those rare people who are ethical and smart enough to do it, yet also dumb enough to take the job.

"Why don't you just keep your mod abilities and do it when you have time?"
Simple: I'm the type that if I have the ability, I'll take the responsibility. For about 2 years, I've been taking my lunch hour, driving down to the local library, and logging into the forum to do what mod work I could. More complex issues, requiring research, etc. had to wait until I got home after work. Plus modding almost all day on the weekends. I've had to make time for the forum almost every day for years now, just not as a player reading and making fun/informative threads, but as a mod having to deal with all issues. And quite frankly, I simply can't do that anymore.

A rare few friends knew that this was coming, and I appreciate you keeping your mouths shut about this. Thanks.

For those stat lovers among us, I'll give you this:
I started as a mod back on Oct. 14, 2009, back when we were all EntropiaForum, and there were no such thing as multiple planets. That's almost 1,700 days of being a mod. In that time, I handled reported posts, PM requests from both forum and ingame, plus the issues I caught on my own, etc. etc. all totalling over 3,500 mod actions. That's averaging over 2 issues every day without a break.

About payment:
For those wondering, no, I was not paid. Being a mod is a free gig. Disclaimer: One time, about 2 years ago, all forum mods were rewarded with a single "thank you" pack containing a Quad(L), Thruster(L), and 1 CLD. Other than that, it's been our pleasure to serve you all for free.

For those wondering about MA's hand on the forums:
At no time was I ever contacted by MA staff, nor did 711 make requests to me on their behalf, requesting special treatment. I received no PMs, or anything. Of the huge amount of reported posts, only about 6 of them in my 5 years as a mod came from MA/PCF staff. And notice they reported the post, just like any other forum user would. In those case, we did the same thing: Examined the post in question, determined what forum rules, if any were broken and modded accordingly. The very, very rare +reps I'd get from MA staff were never about a mod action, but always about a damn good post I made as a player. So sorry, rumor lovers. MA has no special hand in forum activities.

It was hard being a mod. I tried hard to moderate according to the spirit of the rules and stay as fair as possible. I had to moderate friends sometimes, because they also broke rules, on purpose and/or accidentally. They understood and kept themselves fairly clean on the forum. Maybe I just picked good friends. The point being, I treated everyone as evenly as I could. I wasn't perfect, but by definition, a mod can't please everyone, nor should they try. A few rare times (two, maybe?) 711 disagreed with an action I took and reversed/altered them. That's fine. As owner of these two forums, it's his right/privilege to rule as he sees fit. Also, I believe in those cases he was working with knowledge that I didn't have, so he could make better choices. I take his adjustments my actions as a compliment, in that it was done so rarely. Guess I was doing something right.

And before anyone feels the need to bring it up, yes, I was the only mod on the forum to also get temp-banned. I'm fine with that too. I lost it one day and 711 gave me a "time-out". He did the right thing.

To those I've banned, either temp or perm:
No, my leaving does not alter any mod decisions. They stand.

My thanks go to 711 (and Hanne for the short time I worked for her) for allowing me to be a mod. It's been fun. The vBulletin system running these forums, plus 711's way of setting things up in the "back office" (staff section) made handling things much easier than it could have been. Thanks to my fellow mods, also. I know most of them didn't have the RL time to mod much, but their help and input was always appreciated when it was there.

I've learned a lot of dirty little secrets on many of you forum users, but don't worry. If you can't tell by now, I learn, but don't gossip.

Some of you will want to reply and say you've appreciated my modding. Thanks. Others will reply to say that I'm the worst mod ever, that I'm a waste of DNA, the 4th sign of the apocalypse, etc. etc. Don't bother. I know pretty much what each of you think of me, and I'm comfortable with that. I'll end this way:

Some of you think I was too lenient. Others think I was too hard. Often on the same mod actions. To me, that tells me I probably did my job just about right.

See you on the forums.

I am terribly late to this thread, my bad, I have other things to think about.

John, you are a lover of this game and for that you will always be remembered.

That you banned me more than once, I hate you, but you did what you thought was correct.

And increasingly, that is a tough one.

Go easy.

John, you are a lover of this game and for that you will always be remembered.

That you banned me more than once, I hate you, but you did what you thought was correct.

He also let you come back, a decision many thought incorrect. as much as I hate censorship and moderation, in a "public forum", John was always good about forgiving and using repetitive temp bans. I know I have had my share of temp bans (fuck pirates) :smoke:

He also let you come back, a decision many thought incorrect. as much as I hate censorship and moderation, in a "public forum", John was always good about forgiving and using repetitive temp bans. I know I have had my share of temp bans (fuck pirates) :smoke:

He fucked up and knew it. which is a quality I admire.

I have had to apply it many times.

Stop trying to imagine you know either of us, but start thinking who you are. I can work with you if you stopped working with others.

He fucked up and knew it. which is a quality I admire.

I have had to apply it many times.

Stop trying to imagine you know either of us, but start thinking who you are. I can work with you if you stopped working with others.

I have to start neg repping you, hopefully others start as well >d

Hi John bro,

It's unfortunate that you quit as a mod in PCF and EF. However, I wish you all the best with your new job in RL :)

Reactions: Pig
I have to start neg repping you, hopefully others start as well >d

done......................

Edit: that lost some context with the quoting :)

Certainly not aimed at John. Sad to see you go John :) But I have seen nothing but graciousness and a "slow to wrath" tendency in your replacement too so you guys continue to do a good bit right IMO. GL with your new endeavors and thanks for all the work trying to bring sanity to an asylum :)

Storm

-
"You either die a moderator, or you live long enough to see yourself become the forum-troll.
I can do those things, because I´m not a hero, not like Dent. I perma-baned those people,
that's what I can be."
-
Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A moderator.
-

Couldn´t resist :wtg:

-
"You either die a moderator, or you live long enough to see yourself become the forum-troll.
I can do those things, because I´m not a hero, not like Dent. I perma-baned those people,
that's what I can be."
-
Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A moderator.
-

Couldn´t resist :wtg:

I hope for more simplicity in life: He got pissed off and had other things to do.

Some of you will want to reply and say you've appreciated my modding. Thanks. Others will reply to say that I'm the worst mod ever, that I'm a waste of DNA, the 4th sign of the apocalypse, etc. etc. Don't bother. I know pretty much what each of you think of me, and I'm comfortable with that. I'll end this way:

Are you pulling an NPR on us?

Back