Fifa world cup: Your impressions of the teams ?

Jennson

Elite
Society
The Ministry
Jennson Laudi Marakomm
Hi there,
after we saw now every team playing every team except Group H, what are your impressions of the teams ?
A few comments on my personal ones:

Brazil:
Although the results are positive the performance was somewhat disappointing. That might have been due to high expectations, so let's see which potential ( And there is a lot i think ) they are able to unfold.

Spain:
Hard to say if they are fed up, had a bad day or Netherlands simply figured out the way how to handle them. We have to see a few more matches to decide this, but from what we have seen the team was not at the height of former years and performed way beyond the expectations.

Netherlands:
Great performance Oranje! The team is carried by their success in the first match which can give them a lot of energy to be a real surprise in the tournament. With what they've shown in their first match they for sure rank among the favorites for the championship. It was a pleasure to watch.

England:
The result of the match does not reflect the match properly imho. Compared with last tournaments England presented themselves at least as good as Italy. But they were definitely the unlucky ones of the two teams. Especially worth mentioning is the performance of their youngster Sterling. I guess we have to expect a few things in the future.

Italy:
Solid but nothing out of the ordinary yet. The luckier of two in their match. Will be interesting to watch how they will proceed during the tournament.

Germany:
Well done Germany, especially the performance of Müller who scored three goals in the match is worth mentioning. But the team as a whole showed an astonishing performance and for me they also rank among the favourites for the championship.

Portugal:
We haven't seen much from them, as they for sure stopped to fight in the second half of the match, when they lay 3 goals behind. Pepe's behavior was unnecessary and his sending-off harmed his team a lot. Ronaldo was not able to unfold his potential. Still i think they will make it to the last 16, but maybe USA will surprise me.

USA:
Soccer is not one of USA's Top domains, but yesterday's performance was solid. One thing American's stand out in every sport is their morale. Will it be enough to defeat Portugal ?

Last edited:
Argentina are my favorites I think they will peak in the final and it will be messi's year

Brazil I think will crack under all the pressure

England, its first time since this century when I have truly enjoyed watching england, was beutiful. England are always unlucky though especially on pens.

holland were pretty amazing, I am surprised really cause mostly this side is nothing compared to dutch sides in the past.. at least on paper

germany always do well and so do italy

france like most teams, on paper the side is not as impressive as past sides but still a threat

Final will be: England 3 Argentina 3 argentina win on pens and messi scores with his hand :laugh:

Hi there,
Italy:
Solid but nothing out of the ordinary yet. The luckier of two in their match. Will be interesting to watch how they will proceed during the tournament...

Luckier? :eyecrazy: pole and crossbar in few mins.... Italy always needs to suffer anyway so np :laugh:

what is this game you are all banging on about :) is this some kind of prelude to the migration or is it part of the WOF ?

what is this game you are all banging on about :) is this some kind of prelude to the migration or is it part of the WOF ?

Nah a small village of Entropians, mostly from Europe still pays attention to some sport on Grass involving a Ball. That's why it'S in the offtopic-section of the forum :D

Argentina are my favorites I think they will peak in the final and it will be messi's year

Ah i missed their match, probably that'S why i don'T have them on the radar as much as the other teams.

Final will be: England 3 Argentina 3 argentina win on pens and messi scores with his hand :laugh:

Well that's a call :D

Luckier? :eyecrazy: pole and crossbar in few mins.... Italy always needs to suffer anyway so np :laugh:

Well there are still some matches to prove it different, so i might stand corrected there ;)

i have to say i usually don't care much about soccer but i like watching such big games from time to time...

but what i really hate is the omnipresence these days...almost every commercial is with players..like the companys thinking, ok we have a huge budget, but we don't make a good innovative commercial, no, we just hire some fcking players...i boycott those products..lol

and flags everywhere...i hate flags so damn much...my street is full of flags...everytime i go out of the door i begin swearing...and even flags on the special limited edition of saucage packs..ahhrgh..

i don't care when ppl like stuff i don't care much, everyone can do what they want, as long as i am not confronted with this shit EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME..and that really pisses me off...

the only good thing about the fifa world cup shit is, we made deal with pizza man on other side of street for years now, he can put television in our window, we get pizza & beer for free...

My bid for at least the semi's , the Netherlands, I looked at that Dutch front row before the match and thought it looked really strong and it was.
England as usual will not feature imo.

Im not interested in junior high jayvee girls field hockey.

...lots of good teams, so hard to predict, but Germany and Holland looks really really impressive! Personally I was surprised that Costa Rica won against Uruguay though! :cool:

Like others I felt for Eng-a-laaaaand against Italy both teams played some really nice fotboll! :cool: Not that impressed by France, but Benzama sticks out, top notch striker! a lethal weapon!...in my eyes he scored 3 goals against Honduras, OG by a goalie?!...c´mon man...

...so far fun cup, lots of goals etc etc...but if I have to pick a winner...I´d say Germany! Totally solid, I see no weakness in this team whatsoever!

regards!

:cool:

England's performance was very much over-praised imo. They really lacked penetration. Most of their attempts on goal were long range efforts, and at World Cup level you just aren't going to get enough goals doing that. You need to get the ball into threatening positions inside the box, and England were unable to do that on more than 2 or 3 occasions, including their goal.

Sadly most of the players lack technique and creativity, which is what's required to create those chances. This has always been the biggest problem for England for as long as I've been watching football, and will continue to be a problem until the FA take measures to address the shortage of qualified coaches in youth and grass roots football.

That said, they still have a chance of getting through the group, largely thanks to Costa Rica beating Uruguay, but I can't see them beating any of the stronger teams.

As for the other teams, Brazil didn't exactly set the world on fire in their first game but I'm sure they can play better than that, and with home advantage it's hard to see them as anything but strong favourites for the tournament. If the Netherlands continue to play like they did in the first game, they'll be going a long way. France were better than I expected and may do well. Hard to tell what Germany are capable of from their first match, since is was such a disaster for Portugal, but they do look strong.

Looking beyond the more obvious candidates, I was impressed by Bosnia and Switzerland and I could see either of those going to the quarter-finals or even semi-finals.

Although England suffered a defeat, the overall impression I got was that they are a team capable of getting out of their group, and perhaps as far as the quarter-final. This is the last chance for Gerrard to shine while its probably Rooney's last chance in his prime (he'll be 32 in 2018 and so presumably on the decline).

It's about time both of them, but particularly Rooney, did something of note at a major tournament (other than get sent off).

Seems D group is one of the most thrilling ;)
Costarica were considered the "cinderella" and is breaking ass everywhere.
They absolutely deserved to win tonight and i have to say i'd be glad if they go further!

Bosnia4Ever !!!! :cool:

Back