Info: Tree Harvesting - some observations

jjmatrix

Stalker
Society
SPU
JJ Ony Matrix
I did a little tree harvesting today, and I'd like to share a few observations and some data with the community.

1. All harvesting was done on Arkadia.
2. There are areas with harvest-able trees; if you can't find one within 200-300 meters, move away. I used one small TP chip.
3. It took me 4-5 jumps to find an area, which seemed to be quite large.
3. Once a tree is found and you drag it's status bar it stays there for at least 5-6 minutes; I know because I got one on a steep mountain and I couldn't get to it so I gave up.
4. Once you do one pull, don't waste any time... the tree will go away within 5 seconds or so. I only stop to check the decay, and puff... all gone.
5. I was only able to get 2 types of resource: Short Moonleaf Board and Wood Shavings. Never got one without the other.
6. All trees I've found looked the same regardless of the find size; they all look like young trees. I did try bigger, different types with no luck.
7. I found 3 sizes: Small Tree (Lvl 1), Large Tree (Lvl 2) and Huge Tree (Lvl 3). Contrary to popular belief (and logic)... the Small had the highest amount! (See data below).
8. Decay on the TT tool is 0.02 PED / pull. Materials are (TT): 1 Board=0.01 PED and 13 Shavings = 0.01 PED
9. There are fails. You get a yellow message stating: "Harvest attempt failed to generate useable resources". I got about 5 of these in 25 finds.

Some Data based on 25 finds:
1. 2 Huge, 4 Large and 19 Small.
2. One find = aprox. 6 pulls

FINDS (Short Moonleaf Board/ Wood Shavings)

HUGE
8, 3 and 13, 18

LARGE
8/12, 6/15, 10/20, 6/16

SMALL
5/8, 7/26, 6/33, 10/33, 9/9, 8/19, 12/14, 13/40, 8/43, 7/21, 6/17, 5/24, 6/23, 6/10, 8/15, 9/18, 4/18, 10/14, 7/19.

I will calculate returns once I finish the tool.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions just shoot (except for where the area is :ahh:).

Thank you for tips, but I think the use of the TP chip makes this harvesting fully unprofitable ;)

Thank you for tips, but I think the use of the TP chip makes this harvesting fully unprofitable ;)

I would think so :D
That being said... I'm not after profit/eco right now.

SOME UPDATES

1. The range - either of the tool, or of your field of view - seems to be about 25 meters.
2. MUCH better chance to view the harvesting dot in the night!
3. Some skills that may or may not be logically related to the activity: Genetics, Geology, Zoology. These along with the more logical ones: Biology, Resource Gathering, Dexterity, Perception etc.

Info about decay:

Terratech PH-3 (L) - 0.1 PED (not PEC!)
Terratech PH-2 (L) - 0.05 PED

This means: PH-2 (10 PED TT, 0.6 PED 3% condition) and PH-3 (20 PED) have only 194 use before TT-ing

What skill gains did you actually get?

What do they look like? How does it work (youtube doesn't work here)

What skill gains did you actually get?

Resource Gathering, Dexterity, Agility, Perception, Genetics, Biology, Geology, Zoology and few others I can't remember right now.

What do they look like? How does it work (youtube doesn't work here)
As soon as you get within the range (25 m or so for me and the TT tool), you'll see a dark yellow dot radiating circles. It is about 1 meter or so above ground, always regardless of the tree's physical size.
The dot is about a human's head in size :laugh:; the dot is visible through objects - like other trees, rocks etc. I don't have a picture, but someone posted a video.

So.... I've managed to decay the TT tool all the way - 5PED. Return:
- 41 finds (2 Huge, 6 Large and 33 Small)
- Shavings: 0.95 PED
- Boards: 3.45 PED
- Tool TT-ed back: 0.14

TOTAL: 4.54 PED. This is of course TT; we'll see what the MU will be.

I hope they'll fix the size issue as Huge had the least amount of resources; either that or maybe each pull is less but you have more pulls available with a better Tool.

Resource Gathering, Dexterity, Agility, Perception, Genetics, Biology, Geology, Zoology and few others I can't remember right now.

As soon as you get within the range (25 m or so for me and the TT tool), you'll see a dark yellow dot radiating circles. It is about 1 meter or so above ground, always regardless of the tree's physical size.
The dot is about a human's head in size :laugh:; the dot is visible through objects - like other trees, rocks etc. I don't have a picture, but someone posted a video.

So.... I've managed to decay the TT tool all the way - 5PED. Return:
- 41 finds (2 Huge, 6 Large and 33 Small)
- Shavings: 0.95 PED
- Boards: 3.45 PED
- Tool TT-ed back: 0.14

TOTAL: 4.54 PED. This is of course TT; we'll see what the MU will be.

I hope they'll fix the size issue as Huge had the least amount of resources; either that or maybe each pull is less but you have more pulls available with a better Tool.

Seems like stabile 90% TT return? :)

Falagor
:bandit:

growing light in the trees - minimum graphic setting requirement

I like to add that Particle Effect Quality in graphic setting must be at least set LOW or higher to see the growing lights + the tool must be equipped.

Here a couple of pictures what they might be looked like in low settings.

img_20150629_11_16_00_937.jpg

img_20150629_11_13_05_375.jpg

My 2 cents worth

I am disappointed initially with the harvesting. Having a limited tool is too costly, compared to the value of moonleaf boards & saw dust. No HOF potential Plus limited tool, makes this difficult to make any profit. I do enjoy the activity, but I am paying to do it.:eyecrazy:

Many players have begun to engage in harvesting, but are looking for just the huge trees. I'm asking you to cut small trees too, because cutting out small trees leads to their spawn (instead of a small tree can grow large tree or huge tree) in the surrounding area. For this job you can use the tool from the TT. For the cutting of small trees is enough only one time to use the tool from TT on the small tree. Leave behind you only a scorched earth!

You can make profit only on level 3 trees with a ph-3 because of 3000% MU on long boards :) ... But as I observed so far lvl 3 and lvl 2 tree is like 10% of the trees....
I saw places with a couple of hours respawn and place where after I finished harvesting ALL trees in that area they moved next :) Was like this... an area with 4-5 little stacks of trees. Walked and only 1 stack was with active trees... After I finished them all ... booom was active on the stack of trees near and so on.... untill I harvested all 5 packs. BUT to mention that the activation wasn't done untill all trees was harvested in a pack.
Perhaps is not 100% right and I didn't saw good or was just my imagination... but you should check this :)
Have a nice harvesting all :)

I am disappointed initially with the harvesting. Having a limited tool is too costly, compared to the value of moonleaf boards & saw dust. No HOF potential Plus limited tool, makes this difficult to make any profit. I do enjoy the activity, but I am paying to do it.:eyecrazy:

WTF you are talking about?

3000% markup on long boards vs 250% on the T3 Harvester, at 90% TT return!

I call that a serious profitable thing!

Problem here, huge trees are hard to find :)

my harvest

While I haven't kept accurate count of the terratech ph3's that I have bought from the beginning, I did for the first couple of days. Example; if I paid 200 peds for the tools, I only received 150 peds for the harvest.
To date I have harvested, 37 long moonleaf boards, 1101 moonleaf boards & 18349 short moonleaf boards.
I am not breaking even or making a profit yet. But am taming Atrox as well, may make a profit there..
I did see a unlimited tool available for 3k peds, but too short on peds for the investment. I hope there are going to be cheaper options available soon.

Back