Harvesting tip: dealing with "Failed to move within interaction range"

Haruto Rat

Elite
Society
fode et fuge
Cunning Haruto Rat
You often get "Failed to move within interaction" when trying to harvest trees, especially the bigger ones (probably because the target is inside the trunk).

The solution, of course, is to turn "Move to Target when Interacting" off for a moment; but opening options panel twice a minute is annoying, and keeping "move to target" off altogether is not really an option because the range of harvesting tools is just 1 m.

Now, the trick is this option is applied immediately, without clicking "OK" or "Apply". This lets you keep the options panel at the bottom of the screen, like this:

nomove.jpg

This way, you can quickly disable "move to target" if you're getting "failed to move" messages, and enable it again once you're finished that nasty tree.

On a side note, there's no forum section for harvesting yet. ;)

It seems to me that the target point is on the surface of the trunk. When I get this error I just move around the tree. So far this has worked for me every time.

Got an ingame PM from someone who is unfortunately banned on this forum:

- clicking the target manually with your mouse might work, too

It seems to me that the target point is on the surface of the trunk. When I get this error I just move around the tree. So far this has worked for me every time.

This; works for me as well every time. Just move around the tree and you'll notice that the yellow dot is on the tree's surface on one side. If it looks like it's in the center and you start harvesting, you may get the error.

This; works for me as well every time. Just move around the tree and you'll notice that the yellow dot is on the tree's surface on one side. If it looks like it's in the center and you start harvesting, you may get the error.

Well, different areas have different harvestable tree species. In my experience (did just ~three days of harvesting on Caly), I never had any problem with brush-like trees near Camp Caravan; but then, harvesting in an atrax area isn't really fun. :)

In Fury/Lymnadian and Argus areas, however, there are trees where strafing around doesn't help.

No and no. The target is INSIDE the tree, this is most evident on very large trees found on certain planets (they are unreachable from ANY spot unless you turn off move to target). The reason it might become reachable when you move around the tree is because the trees arent perfect circles. By turning it off, you extend the range too. It is way quicker and way easier and the ONLY way people should harvest is with "move to target" turned off like the OP stated.

Move to target option dont allow to use your weapon in full range.
It will cause to slowly step walk like glued to mob until you come closer to mob wich is less than is real range of your weapon.
Same go for tools.
I newer use that option and also with harvesting dont have problem.
You just learn to move within your weapon/tool range with time and everything is fine after.

Although you can see it through the tree, the glowing target is really only on one side...the south side. If you try to cut the tree almost anywhere else on the circumference you will get the "failure to move within interaction range" message. Once you are aware of where the target is on these trees, its a small matter to just approach the tree from the proper side and you're set. The south side is the side where there is a kind of "foot" projecting from the base of the tree. There are trees with slightly larger circumferences. With these larger trees, or when there is another tree on the south side, you have to approach the tree at an angle slightly "off" south.

WOW, I have never had a problem harvesting with the "move to target" turned off :scratch2: The only time I have had a problem is when it is turned on. Just aim at the yellow blinking circle, duh.

Back