Explanation to MA

sirchadwick

Provider
Society
Benevolence
Sylva Kyra Minor
I sometimes wonder if the people at mindark understand the expression. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Aww, come on. Fixing what ain't broken is called innovation. It's a human thing. If not for it, we would still compute and wipe our butts with the same gadget - a stone :cool:

MA solution to everything : New Content.

Aww, come on. Fixing what ain't broken is called innovation. It's a human thing. If not for it, we would still compute and wipe our butts with the same gadget - a stone :cool:

LOL, that's all i can say.:laugh: and it is true.;)

Entropia Universe is one big pile of legacy Spaghetti Code

The problem with spaghetti code is that a developer can make a tiny change in one area, unaware of pulling a spaghetti string and break something else in a completely different location.

This is the primary explanation for all the "how the hell did they manage to break [your favorite bug entered here] when the VU release notes says nothing about any changes?"

The other explanation is of course that many changes are implemented but not entered in the release notes as they are "loot balancing/economy related" and players are not supposed to be aware. The irony being that much of my insights in the loot mechanism come from almost 10 years of observing post-VU bugs and their fixes.

/Slupor

Last edited:
You don't need legacy code to do that some developers are quite willing and able to create weird spaghetti code from scratch :mad: with the usual phrase of 'but it works'.

The other favourite being 'I don't have time to add error checking' :banghead: Queue 3 hours of debugging to find a fault in a global function acting on a global variable used to pass data to a child form from a timer because they've used strings to append and hold binary data :cussing:

Last edited:
You don't need legacy code to do that some developers are quite willing and able to create weird spaghetti code from scratch :mad: with the usual phrase of 'but it works'.

The other favourite being 'I don't have time to add error checking' :banghead: Queue 3 hours of debugging to find a fault in a global function acting on a global variable used to pass data to a child form from a timer because they've used strings to append and hold binary data :cussing:

^^ Wot he said... Errr... I think. :wise:

Sadly I'm speaking from personal experience of dealing with certain types of programmer who are still writing code from the 80's but in modern languages but won't use any of the new features to keep it simple i.e. use 50 lines of old code when 3 new ones will do it better and easier.

It's been broken for years. There is no fixing it.

RIP Project Entropia

Back