WoF Off !!

Hurrikane

Hey Hurrikane,

I had a great time in the one WoF that I went full in on, and I want to say thanks man.

Awesome part of our universe that you should be proud of!

Wish you the best,

Skeezer

:beerchug:

Only took part in last years one, and only a few matches, but enjoyed it.
Always thought before last year it was just ubers only doing it lol.

And damn, now this years been shelved :scratch2:

Never mind, here's to next years WoF

Make it happen, and cya all in the field.

No, that is still truly hilarious. :laugh:

When I said edited, I was referring to the removal of many of the most insane posts rom the thread.

Removed posts?

Support said they have no control over this business. Imagine that. FRAUD? Is in the eye of the beholder it would seem.

Removed posts?

Support said they have no control over this business. Imagine that. FRAUD? Is in the eye of the beholder it would seem.

I have moderating privileges for the sub-forum from running the WoF all these years. Hardly used them up to now. <removed>

Hurrikane

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed posts?

I have moderating privileges for the sub-forum from running the WoF all these years. Hardly used them up to now. ...

Hurrikane

/mod note/
MindArk Support is not responsible for the administration of this forum.
The forum administrator is 711. If you are unhappy with a moderator's decision, send him a private message.

As Hurrikane has said, he is an authorized moderator for this section, as shown by his name being listed at the bottom of the section page. His actions have been well within the forum guidelines, although his language has been perhaps a little more passionately expressed than is usually the case.

The subject of this thread is: the cancellation of WoF for this year; and discussion of the future of WoF, as well as any potential player-created alternate/replacement event.

:topic:

Reactions: aia
/mod note/
MindArk Support is not responsible for the administration of this forum.
The forum administrator is 711. If you are unhappy with a moderator's decision, send him a private message.

As Hurrikane has said, he is an authorized moderator for this section, as shown by his name being listed at the bottom of the section page. His actions have been well within the forum guidelines, although his language has been perhaps a little more passionately expressed than is usually the case.

The subject of this thread is: the cancellation of WoF for this year; and discussion of the future of WoF, as well as any potential player-created alternate/replacement event.

:topic:

Sorry about the language. Just enjoying my freedom:) Will be polite from now on.

Hurrikane

Wow! It's amazing how people remember things so differently!

I remember this Hurricane person showing up once a year, to organize WoF. Except for WoF, I don't remember hearing anything from him, I have never seen him in game WoF or otherwise. I remember one year where he was trying to run the event from his mobile phone? Yea I'm questioning my own memory now it sounds so bizarre.

I remember hunting taxed MOBs just because that was the rules, there was no choice, the competition MOBs were only available on taxed lands. I remember one year, he picked Caprions for a MOB, the only spawn at that time was on CND, so after waiting for, and paying for a RT trip to CND, there was no spawn of Caps!

I remember prizes being given out on the "spur of the moment", right in the middle of the event with no prior warning, it was like, if you kill kill a merp today your team gets lots of prizes. Huh?

This ..... thing..... always reeked of corruption and kick backs to me. The years late prizes from whoever, MA, FPC, Planet Calypso, was just more lol on the cake.

Good riddance WoF.

And your priceless contribution to the game we all share is this post.

Impressive.

No really you make 6 or 7 years of global competition coordination over 3 or 4 months at a time, multiple time zones and languages, as well as the inevitable and perpetual criticism from armchair critics ... seem trivial I agree.

Good job, real value add.

And your priceless contribution to the game we all share is this post.

Impressive.

No really you make 6 or 7 years of global competition coordination over 3 or 4 months at a time, multiple time zones and languages, as well as the inevitable and perpetual criticism from armchair critics ... seem trivial I agree.

Good job, real value add.

I apologise. I've been a dick. I'll stop posting now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that Hurrikane cannot continue WoF.
I had fun participating, even last year when I was alone representing my country.

No Mayhems will replace event that was made entirely by players.

You seem like you have some personal beef with Hurrikane and you try hard to devalue his input into game.
Well face it: nobody knows who you are and probably you have done no shit for EU.
At the same time everybody knows what Hurrikane did.
So go on and bitch about it but it will only devalue you.

Fact is that Hurrikane contributed loads of time and effort to EU, along with all the judges and other helpers!

Fact is anything I write in this thread gets edited. I'll leave it that.

Regardless of how anyone thinks of WoF it has done more for EU and friendships than any other single event. It brought together long term players from the highest skills to those relatively new in the game.

Seven or so years ago in my first year in game at the old Swamp camp near PA a Aussie came up and told me something about WoF. The following year I checked it out and participated in every WoF since.

Not trying to take away anything from some of the close Soc's in EU and the many friendships developed in game WoF brought together many from all over the world and in their own countries people who may never have met.

One example a few years ago 30 or more Aussies from over half of Australian States including New Zealand had a meet up in Melbourne. Most of these people had met through WoF and while friends online are now friends in rl.

Some good quotes relating to WoF below

Not a bleeding lot in the past 10 years in this game has come close to the comradery of competing in the WoF.
I think it got a bit complicated once moved on from a purely player run comp, but the spirit of it was very much there!
Can we kill that?!

Only participated in one (2008 or 2009, i think). It was exactly what the rules said it will be. I was just another noob and most of my team mates were much more skilled. We hunted mobs that normally made me run in horror...

Regardless of how anyone thinks of WoF it has done more for EU and friendships than any other single event. It brought together long term players from the highest skills to those relatively new in the game.

Seven or so years ago in my first year in game at the old Swamp camp near PA a Aussie came up and told me something about WoF. The following year I checked it out and participated in every WoF since.

Not trying to take away anything from some of the close Soc's in EU and the many friendships developed in game WoF brought together many from all over the world and in their own countries people who may never have met.

One example a few years ago 30 or more Aussies from over half of Australian States including New Zealand had a meet up in Melbourne. Most of these people had met through WoF and while friends online are now friends in rl.

Hear Hear, Can't be denied. Very good times for all.

Of course we could have a new Hurri, why not?

Last edited:

I agree wholeheartedly. I came back to this game around the 2nd WoF after bouncing in and out years prior. Most of my friends had moved on or moved up in the game to top soc's and out of the grasp of me, essentially a noob. I don't tend to reach out much but WoF provided me that opportunity. Some of my best friends in the game were those I made through WoF.

The members of the team that regularly made up the main team were happy to have me along hunting mobs way out of my league all in the name of practicing and attempting to raise funds for WoF itself. We even hit an ATH during the Eomon migration, something I will never forget.

Outside of my society, most of my best memories have been from WoF throughout the years.

Thanks Hurrikane for everything you have done.

WOF was pretty much the best event in EU, it died a fair bit for me with the merged countries crap but overall i had most of my best times in EU in WOF.

Hunting the massively over powered Hogs one year on TI with the Aussie team heheh man it doesn't get much more hilarious than that.. spawn, die, spawn,, die, rinse and repeat. good times

Thanks Hurrikane and thanks Aussie team.

Back