Entropia on Linux

There is also no sound on the 64-bit client, but music is heard on Rocktropia.

Afaik there is streaming music on RT at least in some regions. This could be a hint that streaming works, but not the game's own. You can test it by turning streaming off and on in options (I've not currently updated my Linux installation so can't try it right away).

Afaik there is streaming music on RT at least in some regions. This could be a hint that streaming works, but not the game's own. You can test it by turning streaming off and on in options (I've not currently updated my Linux installation so can't try it right away).
Be sure to check it out when I'm there.
It was so unexpected, as if a deaf person suddenly heard Mick Jagger.:)

It turns out the texture flickering bug was caused by DXVK. :ahh: Using wine's default D3D11 implementation works but comes at a huge performance cost (halved fps) and extreme lag when viewing the item information window.

I will try to capture an API trace and report it to DXVK.

I experienced two problems:

1 when I upgraded to wine 5.0-rc6 -- I found that client loader broken (crash on
Code:
0009:err:mshtml:get_typeinfo GetTypeInfoOfGuid(DIID_DispHTMLDOMImplementation) failed
) wiping mshtml.tlb inside drive_c/windows/system32 and drive_c/windows/syswow64 helps (probably it not happens on clean installation, but can occurs on upgrading existing one)

Second one -- I still experienced crash on viewing container with my blueprint books.I use wine's DX11 (no DXVK, my hardware not VK capable) and native d3dx11_43 and d3dcompiler_47 from winetricks). This issue still unsolved (and annoying)

The terrain flickering issue is fixed an hour after I reported it to dxvk. :yay:

So now the only issue left is the sound in 64-bit client.

FYI: You can start Entropia.exe directly without using the client loader by passing --run as a parameter:

Code:
$ wine bin64/Entropia.exe --run

Obviously you still need the client loader for VU updates and stuffs.

I found this while trying to use apitrace on EU, which didn't seem to inject itself into Entropia.exe via the client loader.

I'll have to go back into this thread and see if I can get this going again. I tried unsuccessfully a few weeks ago on elementary 5.1 (ubuntu 18.04 base) .. I've used linux for years but rarely graphical and not that experienced with wine other than running small apps from time to time.

FYI: You can start Entropia.exe directly without using the client loader by passing --run as a parameter:

Code:
$ wine bin64/Entropia.exe --run

Obviously you still need the client loader for VU updates and stuffs.

I found this while trying to use apitrace on EU, which didn't seem to inject itself into Entropia.exe via the client loader.

Could you share apitrace command line. I have long outstanding problem with crash, when I open one of containers with blueprint books. I like to figure out -- where it crashing

With VU 17.2 Alt+Tab has become slow. Does anyone else have that, too?

With VU 17.2 Alt+Tab has become slow. Does anyone else have that, too?

Looks like it gets slower over time because of the memory leaks of the game (I'm saying "of the game" and not "in Wine" as Windows-users also seem to have that problem). However, I can't remember that they had that much influence on Alt+Tab.

Did some test lately,...

It seems EU works out of the box on a clean mint + wine + winetricks.
It's a tad slow tho, but it works!

So my Wine got updated to 5.9 and my mouse started to behave weirdly. All drag&drop actions and camera movements are affected. During drag&drop the motion stutters somehow and in camera mode it keeps moving into the previous direction before it suddenly changes to the correct one.

Long story short, having Lutris installed I'm now using its Wine-version and all's fine.

On the other hand the latest EU-patch can only be installed with Wine 5.9 (running the DX-installer manually went through, but didn't let the Client Loader move on).

I find it funny that Entropia runs more stable on Linux Mint 20, then it did on Windows :p

Because of another reason I took the opportunity to reinstall Linux and now I have full audio-support so I can hear everything :yay: Out of curiosity I wanted to know what was the difference, but couldn't find anything in the various configuration files. The only difference I noticed were the packages installed:

So maybe it's useful for anyone.

Reactions: San
So my Wine got updated to 5.9 and my mouse started to behave weirdly. All drag&drop actions and camera movements are affected. During drag&drop the motion stutters somehow and in camera mode it keeps moving into the previous direction before it suddenly changes to the correct one.

That's fixed with Wine 5.16. All's fine now :)

With the last couple of Wine-versions I'm not able to go past the Client Loader. After I press the start button where usually the login-screen appears right after nothing happens. The Start-button gets disabled for a fraction of a second, but becomes enabled again and that was that. Some Wine-processes keep running, though, so I have to kill them first. The log doesn't contain anything useful and only lists my graphics stuff.

The latest Wine-version I tried is 5.22 and I can only play with the one from Lutris (5.7-11).

What's your experience here and does anyone have an idea how I can get Wine to work?

With the last couple of Wine-versions I'm not able to go past the Client Loader. After I press the start button where usually the login-screen appears right after nothing happens. The Start-button gets disabled for a fraction of a second, but becomes enabled again and that was that. Some Wine-processes keep running, though, so I have to kill them first. The log doesn't contain anything useful and only lists my graphics stuff.

The latest Wine-version I tried is 5.22 and I can only play with the one from Lutris (5.7-11).

What's your experience here and does anyone have an idea how I can get Wine to work?

5.22 didn't work for me either, now I upgraded to 6.0 and sometimes the 64-bit client crashes with a stack overflow on startup. Relaunching the game usually works and after getting past login everything seems to run smoothly.

I find it funny that Entropia runs more stable on Linux Mint 20, then it did on Windows :p
Are you still running it on Linux Mint? If so, which desktop environment? I'm just wondering because I just tried it on Mint Xfce and the installer wouldn't load in Wine. I tried to open it but nothing happened. I've done this on other distros with no issues. Currently running it on Elementary OS on my laptop, but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card—wanted to try it on a machine that does.

5.22 didn't work for me either, now I upgraded to 6.0 and sometimes the 64-bit client crashes with a stack overflow on startup. Relaunching the game usually works and after getting past login everything seems to run smoothly.

It turns out the stack overflow issue seems to be caused by dxvk state cache, disabling the cache with DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0 env and now it launches without problem. EDIT: This doesn't actually fix the issue but sometimes seems to work after restarting enough times, so no real fix yet.

On a related note I also tried Wine 6.0's own vkd3d translation layer, gameplay works but there are some graphical glitches and it still has terrain flickering bug I reported to dxvk last year.

Last edited:
I updated my system and I now have Wine 6.2, which seems to work fine for now.

working on mint here, still on wine 6.0, since wine6.2 is still not in the regular updates because it is not considered 'stable' version yet

Okay, thanks for the info. :)

So Wine 6.2 worked a few times and today it didn't, I explained the error a few posts above. I noticed that Lutris has an option to kill all Wine-processes. After doing that I launched EU again and it allowed me to log in.

The option is available in Lutris if you click on the game after which buttons become available at the bottom. The one with the icon (don't know what that's supposed to be) to the left of "Platform" contains that "Kill all Wine processes". If you don't have Lutris you may want to reboot your machine to get rid of them. What I'm saying is that this problem doesn't mean that Wine 6.2 doesn't work at all.

Obviously it kills a few processes, maybe I get to see which they are at one point. Then a simple pkill in the terminal should do the trick. Then you don't necessarily need Lutris to do this.

Reactions: San
Whow, I just noticed something super odd... That failure to go full-screen might be related to what's in the clipboard... WTF...

So basically another idea to "fix" this is to copy some random plain text into the clipboard (Ctrl+C). Killing of Wine-processes still applies with such a crash, but if it continues to not work that's something to try.

:scratch2: OMG..........

Whow, I just noticed something super odd... That failure to go full-screen might be related to what's in the clipboard... WTF...

So basically another idea to "fix" this is to copy some random plain text into the clipboard (Ctrl+C). Killing of Wine-processes still applies with such a crash, but if it continues to not work that's something to try.

:scratch2: OMG..........

I think you may be onto something. Do you get an error message like this in stderr when it crashes and only on the 64-bit client?

Code:
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow x bytes in thread

That should explain why EU always fails to start when I initially boot up but seem to work fine after a while, and so far I've never been able to narrow down what is causing the change. I will test this tonight.

Mine was this:

Code:
0288:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
00c0:err:clipboard:convert_selection Timed out waiting for SelectionNotify event
00c0:err:clipboard:convert_selection Timed out waiting for SelectionNotify event
0288:err:seh:dispatch_exception Fatal EXCEPTION_WINE_CXX_EXCEPTION exception (code=e06d7363) raised
0288:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 2064 bytes in thread 0288 addr 0x7bc31f20 stack 0x1207f0 (0x120000-0x121000-0x220000)

And you can't just copy anything into the clipboard to fix it. It should be plain text like from a terminal or a text editor.

Last edited:
Back