Kev's end of year crazy lyrics quiz for old people!

Oracle

Elite
Society
Scorpio
Oracle Kev FountofWisdom
COMPETITION CLOSED: Winner: Oleg

OK another of my occasional quizzes. This may or may not work, we'll see.

I've altered the lyrics of some songs in such a way as to try to keep the general meaning.

Some I think will be guessed fairly quickly whilst others I think may take a while.

Just post as soon as you can name at least one of the 10 songs and I'll confirm whether correct or not when I'm next online.

Hmm I guess one point for each person for each song guessed but sorry no prizes just fame.

If you get annoyed with me because the songs are too ancient to recognise then just console yourself with the fact that you'll live much much longer than I will. :)

Some of the songs also may be better known in England where I'm from, not sure?

Or if the lyrics are too easy or too difficult well what can I say, I gave it a shot.

If any of the songs aren't guessed by the year end I'll add the performer's initials as a clue.

OK, well here is the quiz:

OK I've added the performer's initials:

1) that's me up next to that hill contemplating if I could demolish it with a karate chop (J.H.) GUESSED CORRECTLY: Jimi Hendrix: 'Voodoo Child' - Black Caesar

2) I'm trying to find romance, a great, great romance, on such a quiet evening...how about if I get you a mountain top residence (F.M.)

3) It's quite amusing how little we seem to converse these days; still, no problems with insomnia (C.R.)

4) Ages ago, those songs would cheer me up and I reckon would still work on the dancefloor today. It was so cold in the early months of the new year when I was on my newspaper round. But it was tough delivering all those bad stories, the death of her husband and of his songs deeply upset me. (D.M.) GUESSED CORRECTLY: Don McLean - 'American Pie': Kitty

5) Lady I wouldn't exactly be telling you the truth if I said that we're stuck at this level. But now we have to be decisive, we'll better pitch here, make me a fire big enough to see in the dark, if it doesn't kill us we'll resume our ascent rather than stuck talking through this shit. (T.D.)

6) Start the car and let's hit the road and let's see if we can find some fun out there. Baby we'll do this because we love life and mother earth and bang, bang, bang the cosmos too! (S)

7) OK so you've reached the end of the line, given up, you're mixed up and believe that things can't change for the better. Now you think there is no such thing as being happy: that it's not real. Everything is just falling to pieces. But love just get in touch with me, get in touch. I'll be available. (T.F.T.)

8) It's no big romance so be sure about that, get it into your head. I'm like this now but not for long. Yeah I'll be in touch but it's no big deal, OK? And keep all this to yourself, no need to gossip to your buddies coz it ain't nothing, OK? (T.C.C)

9) I'd like to book the next flight please because I'm in a hurry and going by rail is so much slower. My girlfriend emailed me so to hell with the expense because I'm fed up being alone. (T.B.T.)

10) You could end up living in a shed many miles away or alternatively you could have a very big car, nice house and pretty wife. You might ask yourself lots of questions like how you did it or how it didn't pan out like this and all the while time is passing by. GUESSED CORRECTLY: Talking Heads, 'Once in a lifetime': XEN

Last edited:
10) You could end up living in a shed many miles away or alternatively you could have a very big car, nice house and pretty wife. You might ask yourself lots of questions like how you did it or how it didn't pan out like this and all the while time is passing by.

Talking Heads - Once in a lifetime

Shall I add the initials of the songs' performers as a clue?

OK I've added the performer's initials:

1) that's me up next to that hill contemplating if I could demolish it with a karate chop (J.H.) GUESSED CORRECTLY: Jimi Hendrix: 'Voodoo Child' - Black Caesar

2) I'm trying to find romance, a great, great romance, on such a quiet evening...how about if I get you a mountain top residence (F.M.)

3) It's quite amusing how little we seem to converse these days; still, no problems with insomnia (C.R.)

4) Ages ago, those songs would cheer me up and I reckon would still work on the dancefloor today. It was so cold in the early months of the new year when I was on my newspaper round. But it was tough delivering all those bad stories, the death of her husband and of his songs deeply upset me. (D.M.) GUESSED CORRECTLY: Don McLean - 'American Pie': Kitty

5) Lady I wouldn't exactly be telling you the truth if I said that we're stuck at this level. But now we have to be decisive, we'll better pitch here, make me a fire big enough to see in the dark, if it doesn't kill us we'll resume our ascent rather than stuck talking through this shit. (T.D.)

6) Start the car and let's hit the road and let's see if we can find some fun out there. Baby we'll do this because we love life and mother earth and bang, bang, bang the cosmos too! (S)

7) OK so you've reached the end of the line, given up, you're mixed up and believe that things can't change for the better. Now you think there is no such thing as being happy: that it's not real. Everything is just falling to pieces. But love just get in touch with me, get in touch. I'll be available. (T.F.T.)

8) It's no big romance so be sure about that, get it into your head. I'm like this now but not for long. Yeah I'll be in touch but it's no big deal, OK? And keep all this to yourself, no need to gossip to your buddies coz it ain't nothing, OK? (T.C.C)

9) I'd like to book the next flight please because I'm in a hurry and going by rail is so much slower. My girlfriend emailed me so to hell with the expense because I'm fed up being alone. (T.B.T.)

10) You could end up living in a shed many miles away or alternatively you could have a very big car, nice house and pretty wife. You might ask yourself lots of questions like how you did it or how it didn't pan out like this and all the while time is passing by. GUESSED CORRECTLY: Talking Heads, 'Once in a lifetime': XEN

Last edited:
4) Ages ago, those songs would cheer me up and I reckon would still work on the dancefloor today. It was so cold in the early months of the new year when I was on my newspaper round. But it was tough delivering all those bad stories, the death of her husband and of his songs deeply upset me. (D.M.)

Don McLean - American Pie

Don McLean - American Pie

Great! Well done Kitty, I was beginning to think I'd completely failed at my quiz attempt:

#1, literally and figuratively

Well I'll stand up next to a mountain
And I'll chop it down with the edge of my hand

#1, literally and figuratively

Well I'll stand up next to a mountain
And I'll chop it down with the edge of my hand

Well done Black Caesar, another one down! :)

Can the new lyrics be sung to the tune? That's the first thing I felt myself doing! Or are they just like a reworded story of the originals which might not fit with the tune or rhythm?

Can the new lyrics be sung to the tune? That's the first thing I felt myself doing! Or are they just like a reworded story of the originals which might not fit with the tune or rhythm?

Hmm...I'd have to say 'no', the new lyrics can't be sung along to the tune.

I'm sorry if I've misled anyone in this way.

However this quiz started in my mind because I changed the words to song number 3 and sang it to myself (I do stuff like that all the time, dunno why).

But you could only do that with the first few words of that specific song, ie: 'It's quite amusing how little we seem to converse these days' and even then it's a stretch. :ahh:

Best to look at the lyrics as a reworded clue to the song though.

AFK making some food.

Last edited:
7 is Reach Out (I'll Be There) by the Four Tops.

9 is The Letter by the Boxtops.

7 is Reach Out (I'll Be There) by the Four Tops.

9 is The Letter by the Boxtops.

Oleg, just the man I've been waiting for, I knew you'd smash it! :)

and....

Oleg takes the lead with two correct guesses!

2 is Big Love by Fleetwood Mac.

5 is Light My Fire by the Doors.

​10cc - I'm not In love

6 is Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf.

3 is We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard.

Back after my chicken and chips and looks like you guys have been busy! :)

OK I think that's all the songs guessed?

So our winners are:

1) Oleg: 6 songs guessed correctly <awesome>

2) Kitty: 2 songs guessed correctly

3) Xen and Black Caesar: 1 song guessed correctly

Well done winners, give yourself a pat on the back, and thank you to all who took part. :)

Back