Graphics Card Choice - Cry Engine

KullXP

Prowler
Society
~ZEN~
Kull KullXP Holland
My Graphics Card died!

EBDwtMk.jpg

I got it three years ago and it transformed EU for me, after that when going on hunts the graphics were stunning.

What should be my choice for a replacement?

Please take into account what im after,

• Max Graphics with 45 FPS or Above
  • Best graphics possible
  • Preferred for Cry Engine ( EU's Engine)

Also which one might it run better on?
Nvidia or AMD

Would love feedback, atm I plan to make my purchase for replacement asap.

Last edited:
I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 graphics card.
Works perfectly good for me :)

Max Graphics with 45 FPS or Above?

Why? Over 30 and it's fine.

Preferred for Cry Engine ( EU's Engine)

Don't think they build graphics cards specifically for engines :) the lastest ones are usually good.

Budget? tooshort

I would do,

Titan X - Dual SLI
GTX 980 Ti -3x SLI
R9 Fury X - Dual SLI

** Examples, im considering all graphics cards atm

Also needs to be capable of smooth 4k game play.

I will only buy one but considering upgrade ability.

I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 graphics card.
Works perfectly good for me :)

Preferred for Cry Engine ( EU's Engine)

Don't think they build graphics cards specifically for engines :) the lastest ones are usually good.

Im wondering if there is a Card that might handle it better and give better graphics and smooth gameplay.

The one I had gave me that, but I want to get the best I can since its time for my to upgrade :lift:

Nvidia or AMD

I would do,

Titan X - Dual SLI
GTX 980 Ti -3x SLI
R9 Fury X - Dual SLI

** Examples, im considering all graphics cards atm

Also needs to be capable of smooth 4k game play.

I will only buy one but considering upgrade ability.

Last time I checked this game does not support SLI. It will work but only one card will be fully used, afaik it was a compatibility choice. If you play other games then by all means go SLI, if you want.

If your budget is that big you should get a single card, I would go with a GTX 980 Ti.

And if you don't already have an SSD you should buy one, it makes a big difference.

Nvidia I'd say, I'm not a AMD fan so to speak.. hehe.

I recently upgraded, and my graphics card works perfect, have had no problems at all, everything runs like it should. I'd recommend it.

Im wondering if there is a Card that might handle it better and give better graphics and smooth gameplay.

The one I had gave me that, but I want to get the best I can since its time for my to upgrade :lift:

Nvidia or AMD

I have 2 x 290x in crossfire, but have to turn one off to play EU. The stuttering and muttering will drive you nuts with two cards. No idea why they can't find someone to help them fix the issue. Never had the problem with any other game.

Good news is that a single card handles it extremely well and I'm playing at 4K.

GTX980 runs EU at 2560x1440 @ all max at 80+ fps (often while playing a movie on the second screen), so no need for SLI even if the game would support it. And every other game, including the latest ones, requires much less resources than EU :D

But it's over a year old, today I would get a 980Ti.
I prefer Nvidia as I never had an equally positive experience with ATI/AMD.

I run gtx 780 @ 2560x1440 plus second screen at 1920x1200
60fps (capped) no issues, card runs at solid 40' no OC

Eu takes mor from CPU and builds up un needed ram space.

In todays market for budget i would go for gtx 970 super super clocked (EVGA)

Or if u really want you can go for 980ti, but thats an overkill if u dont run 4k setup, but even then 970 would be just fine.
So check the price/performance in some charts and go for one of these!

Remember - its easy to pay lots and getting in retunr but its much smarter to pay for what you need and be over the moon of what u get in return!

Cheers
Soko

I use a 970, can virtually max it, maybe even max dunno as I tend to play between mid/high to keep the temps lower to prolong the cards life and keep the fan sound down. best advice i'd say is, get a twin fan model as its quieter, better cooling and if a fan dies its better to run at 50% instead of 0% cooling

I have a gtx980 ti and it runs over 100 fps all settings maxed 1920x1200. New monitor is next...

If you have a high budget: Get a 980ti

If you have a mid range budget: get a gtx970

If you have a lower range budget: GTX 770 or 780 (SC) ideally.

From my experiences, nvidia cards handle entropia MUCH better than ATI. No issues with flickering/blacked graphics like with my experience with ATIs. I sold my r9 280x because Entropia (and the card itself) sucked with it. Went over to a gtx 770 and I'm running at 70-80 FPS on mainly all very-high graphics (couple high) with an i7-2600K, 16gb ram and 144hz monitor.

Nvidia I'd say, I'm not a AMD fan so to speak.. hehe.

Friends don't let friends buy AMD video cards I always say. I'd say GTX 980 TI, not sure it is worth the extra money for a Titan X

You don't need to run in extreme high setting. Just saying.

Nvidea all the way.

Brought an AMD card a few year ago, which in all honesty, was great, in other games, but in EU I suffered flickering grass, and it drove me nuts, even tried various drivers.

I have a GTX690 (dual card on 1 board, so sli)which is getting pretty old now, run max settings at 1920*1200 and get anywhere from 40-60fps depending where I am in game. V-sync on as always for me, to cap it to 60fps.

Just built a new desktop PC that has an onboard graphic card, thanks to some excellent advice from a Soc Mate.

Asus Z87-PRO V Edition Motherboard (Intel Z87, DDR3, Socket 1150, 2x PCI Express 3.0) for the techy types

Amazingly, (to me at least) I'm still running on Very High in Entropia at 1600 res.

So, in summary, whether you buy AMD or Nvidia, it wont matter if you spend a reasonable amount on a graphic card. The more you spend the better it'll be.

But just buy one, because the perfomance boost by having two, really isnt good bang per $, and you'll need a bigger PSU.

from a consumer point of view ATI/AMD can get better performance with less money, but the durability decreases too.

I personaly dont use ATI since 9600XT. i prefer Nvidia even if they have lower performance for same price.

from a consumer point of view ATI/AMD can get better performance with less money, but the durability decreases too.

I personaly dont use ATI since 9600XT. i prefer Nvidia even if they have lower performance for same price.

From my own personal point of view, I've bought ATI / AMD graphic cards since that Rage Pro with its 4 Mb in '98 that allowed my PC to play Street Fighter 2 in Callus in all its 16 bit glory.

I've stuck with ATI / AMD ever since, purely because I dont fix what isnt broken. On processors I had some issues on two AMD PC builds so I've only bought Intel in the past 10 years.

EDIT: LOL, at the message someone send me about Catalyst, you do have a point. :laugh:

Last edited:
Just built a new desktop PC that has an onboard graphic card, thanks to some excellent advice from a Soc Mate.

Asus Z87-PRO V Edition Motherboard (Intel Z87, DDR3, Socket 1150, 2x PCI Express 3.0) for the techy types

I've stuck with ATI / AMD ever since.....

Thise two quotes kind of contradicts. Asus z87 motherboard runs intel graphics only depends on processor type. Most likely you have HD4600 or maybe HD4400, but thats INTEL and not ATI.

Btw it is worth looking into ATI technology. Their APU's are very promising.

I got it three years ago and it transformed EU for me, after that when going on hunts the graphics were stunning.

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 - Link

This is what went into my new build , and as you have stated , it has transformed my game.

Here is a link to the complete parts list used to build my machine.

Thise two quotes kind of contradicts. Asus z87 motherboard runs intel graphics only depends on processor type. Most likely you have HD4600 or maybe HD4400, but thats INTEL and not ATI.

Btw it is worth looking into ATI technology. Their APU's are very promising.

It wasn't meant to contradict, if it did,then maybe I wasnt clear. Every graphic card I've every bought has been ATI (which was bought by AMD some years ago)

4mb Rage Pro
16mb Rage 128
128mb 9800 Pro
256mb 3850
512mb 4750
1gb 5770

I own a 2gb R9 270X which is fab, but I havent plugged it in to this new build, basically because the Intel HD 4600 onboard is doing well enough at present.

Hope that clarifies my experience a bit better.

My advice would be to buy the best you can afford, you are sure to be happy with it.

Last edited:
Ignore anybody saying SLI if they are advising SLI they do not have a SLI system because eu has no support for SLI.

-do not bother with Titans the only advantage is the ram that you wont need for eu or others games for years to come.
-next is the 980ti its way over kill for EU at 1080.60, I do not have one but benchmarks bill it as the top dog.
-980 is great 2560 1440 pinned settings. 50-144fps. my cpu is a 6700k I got up to 4848mhz.
-970 ran everything pinned and I got 50-80fps 2560 1440.
-nothing under the 970 is worth buying the 970 has the best bang for buck atm.

Ati cards are also fine cry2 is old as fuck and will run on a Casio now in days. nice thing with ATI cards is you get a little more ram for the money and in turn are more future proof. keep in mind that Nvidia employs deceitful tactics with a ton of games to cause a performance impact on systems using ATI cards.

And I hate to say it but I have not been playing games much and am using the integrated gpu on the 6700 its surprisingly good I can still hit 80fps 2560 1440. When I pop in to check auctions and stuff.

and never buy two good cards when you can get one great card because of how some games do not support sli/x-fire

and never buy two good cards when you can get one great card because of how some games do not support sli/x-fire

The Vram does not double either, 2 SLI cards are commonly thought to double the Vram, but it doesn't. Both cards duplicate the same data, so 2 cards with 4GB each would still only be 4GB not 8GB :)

I say it all depends on your budget and what resolution you plan to run your favorite games on.

I am currently running on 3440x1440 resolution 34" ultrawide curved and is one the best experience you can get on EU with a gtx 980ti. If you plan to play on a lower resolution, gtx 980 would be around half the price and should meet all your needs.

Thanks for all the information, the most popular seems to be the EVGA 900 Series

I did not plan to upgrade graphics cards, it was my intentions to keep my current rig the same and build a new rig later.
But since my graphics card went out I started to consider buying my next graphics with the intention of it going into the new rig.

Because there is a huge game in Memory from the 2 top cards Nvidia makes, it would be unwise to start buying cards with the intention they will go in my new rig.

Theres a huge gap in Memory,

ASUS GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142

• 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1102 MHz
  • Boost Clock 1190 MHz
  • 1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x HDMI 2.0 3 x DisplayPort 1.2
  • 2816 CUDA Cores
  • PCI Express 3.0 x16

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487067
  • 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1126 MHz
  • Boost Clock 1216 MHz
  • 1 x DVI 1 x HDMI 3 x DisplayPort
  • 2048 CUDA Cores
  • PCI Express 3.0

ASUS GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121923

• 12GB 384-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1000 MHz
  • Boost Clock 1075 MHz
  • 1 x DVI-I 1 x HDMI 3 x DisplayPort
  • 3072 CUDA Cores
  • PCI Express 3.0

Contined Graphics Card Comparison...

Last edited:
Contined Graphics Card Comparison...

All that extra memory is being pushed in there to cope with 4k res ultra wide / triple displays.

My card purchase was originally going to be off what would be the best buy with the hopes of expansion, adding more cards in SLI.

But since there is to wide of a gap in the memory compared to the new cards coming out so I have changed my mind and will buy a card solely for my current rig. So budget comes into play *much lower* since it will go into this rig.

My Plan is to upgrade to a Ultra Wide Curved Moniter, soon as prices drop and there has been time to see if things will go wrong with them. That played a big part in this decision.
w80Ivot.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009869

After Considering:

• Expand-ability
  • Budget
  • Performance
  • Expectations
  • And a few others

Best Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 980
- 250 - 300 USD

Last edited:
IMO forget about getting top card now.

Get some second hand decent card that will let you play still at high @30fps and wait few months to buy new nVidia architecture Pascal.
It is said Pascal will run circles around 980 and 980 Ti.....

Unless you have money to burn, then get 980 or 980 Ti now and change to Pascal later.

IMO forget about getting top card now.

Atm I can get a 980 for $250 or maybe a little under that. But I have sent out some offers and watching auction's on 680, 770, 780 cards. If I can get a good one for 70 - 100$ ill settle with a equal to or better replacement.

If I cannot get a lower model before 5 Day's time ill settle on a 980 due to the fact for $100 more I can get almost top of the line.

Thanks again for everyones advice, peoples experiences with there cards and EU stated here have given me a wider field of select for my replacement. Hopefully ill manage something nice for lowest cost possible.

Back