Info: Little advice about your first hunting setup

Angel O2 Mercer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
Angel O2 Mercer
Just fyi since some newbies might have missed this in the last update. Go get your free rifle from the Bukin guy at Camp Icarus, it's a very decent weapon for starters.

Bukin's Spare Rifle

3-6 damage, 44 attacks/min and 57.2m range.

It is bound to your account but it's free so go get it even if you have another rifle, you never know when it will come handy. Now some comparisons:

Code:
						AMPLIFIER
	RIFLE			Omegaton A101			ZX Sinkadus				O2's Comment
Bukin's Spare Rifle		4.59 dps @ 2.980 eco		4.08 dps @ 2.959 eco 	(Best rifle skiller without the gold pack)
Sollomate Opalo			5.61 dps @ 2.861 eco		5.10 dps @ 2.834 eco 	(Bad eco has made this rifle obsolete)
Z12 Barbarella			6.67 dps @ 2.955 eco		6.12 dps @ 2.938 eco 	(Best ul rifle for starters)
Omegaton M2100A1 (L)			DO NOT USE		5.68 dps @ 2.981 eco 	(Good dps and eco combo)
Sollomate Onyxo (L)		5.10 dps @ 2.968 eco		4.59 dps @ 2.948 eco 	(I would use the Bukin Rifle)
Ozpyn Chon			6.98 dps @ 2.974 eco 		6.21 dps @ 2.953 eco 	(Requires level 5, the M2100A1 is better)
Ozpyn LR S1X1			7.09 dps @ 2.924 eco		6.50 dps @ 2.905 eco 	(Requires level 5, the barbarella is better)

DPS = Damage per second (dmg/sec), higher is better.
ECO = Damage per pec (dmg/pec), higher is better. It includes ammo burn and weapon decay.

As you can see the Opalo sucks compared to the rest. The barbarella and M2100A1 combo is awesome, but if you can't purchase the Gold Pack just get the Bukin rifle and tag with it.

Also, choose the right mob for the right weapon. At higher levels it's not a big concern but at your leve it's very important. With weapons in the range of 4-7 dps I wouldn't kille anything bigger than small kerberos (young-mature). Berycleds and foul are cool too.

Bookmark entropiawiki.com and also the Weapon Compare.

== Dramatization ==
"But but O2 my mentor told me to use the Opalo." - Random newbie

Kick him. Seriously. Get someone who can keep up with the current state of the game.
== End of dramatization, haha ==

Good luck, have fun .

This post is brought to you by: Rookie channel frustration, Shitty Advice Mentor <tm>, The "Save the opollo" movement.

Last edited:
as I'm always interested, I much appreciated such info! I can share with my newbie friends too
+1 rep

nicely done, and shows the opollo up for what is.

i do wonder why MA always push Laser and mainly Rifle too, will cause an unbalance in MU prices, altho a Knife was a little bit of a big jump in for new players who think the Durability stat is vital, it gave hp skills and another direction to go

+ rep. Very helpful and cuts a lot of the bullshit new players are being given to persuade them to buy an opalo.

Angel helping the community as always! Thanks :wise:

I'm still learning about you! :girl: +1rep

Nice job. I still won't ditch my opalo, even if I don't use it much anymore. It was my first gun and I've become attached to it. :laugh:

But yeah, the new newbie guns have greater eco than the Opalo

Hmm that Spare Rifle sure would compliment my TT pistol ;).

Thanks for the thread posting O2!

It's also worth noting that Bukin's Spare Rifle have better range than other newbie rifles. I used to keep my Opalo in inventory because of it's range, but now Bukin's Spare Rifle took it's place. Also, the Bukin's Spare Rifle comes with 5TT value that will last a few shots, so even if you don't plan on using it, you can shoot a bunch of times paying only for (economical) ammo consumption.

Overall a very nice change compared to Bukin's Knife (which you got to keep anyway, if you got it earlier :p)

Can´t give another + REP, have to spread some love first.

Good info for new players

Excellent

:thumbup: Truly excellent opening post. Thanks. :thumbup:

Two notes from My Opinion <tm>:
1) Finishers are important especially on low HP targets. My favorite finishers mostly drop from punys/cubs/juveniles/etc (a mob class), but when I don't have one of those, I prefer to use M2100A1 (L) (or your planet's equivalent TT pistol) with no amplifier on it (have not actually made certain that it's the #1 best for the job, but I like it). The big thing is to use a weapon which deals very little damage per shot, reasonably efficiently, without paying any more %markup than you can avoid. My #1 favorite finisher is Sollomate Azuro (L) because it hits slightly less than similar guns, and also it has enough range to double as a tagger when I need one in a low level spawn.
2) In my view, kerberos and mature+ berycleds are too big a bite for a newbie to chew. Don't know about fouls - they hit a bit hard but their HP and regen are both low. Instead, I recommend daikiba/shinkiba as a happy Calypsian medium (and snables and sabakumas, both of which are even easier), mixed with or alternating with some under-Young (aka Puny etc) maturities of whatever. I do tend to urge newbies to try out exarosaur, caudatergus, even (if in a team -- they regen) combibo, because those and daikiba are the mobs I cut my teeth on when I began play and I love them, but I understand when new players decide they're too much too soon. The variability in comfort zones of individual players leads me to most often recommend "Kill whatever you can kill before it kills you, and avoid healing during combat".

Thanks for the really good post. :beerchug:

What you guys think is better? Using the Omegaton M2100A1 (L) from TT or Sollomate Rubio (L) and Sollomate Azuro (L) for very low level Berycled, Tripudion and Caudatergus Punys? Buying Sollomate Rubio (L) and Sollomate Azuro (L) with Markup or better using Omegaton M2100A1 (L)?

Best starter weapon:

Assault rifle (FA) L (freebie if you choose soldier at hunt the thing) 0.8 dmg/sec , 2.831 eco

BUT... it can spray from left to right, hitting 5 targets for 1 dmg at once. It normally does 2 dmg max, so 5 dmg is 2,5 x

0.8 x2.5 dps =2 dps, 2.831 x2.5 = 7.07 eco

you can buy them for 14 pec At hunt the thing tt.. needs special ammo though.

Second best starter weapon:

Salafa beginner [L] (freebie at toulan)/B101 [L]

2.5 dps, 3.11 eco

Best beginner weapon:

Salafa G3 [L]/A101 6.4 dps, 2.998 eco

Last edited:
Angel said:
== Dramatization ==
"But but O2 my mentor told me to use the Opalo." - Random newbie

Kick him. Seriously. Get someone who can keep up with the current state of the game.
== End of dramatization, haha ==

Agree 100% - if someone recomend opallo -- kick as fast as possible

Best starter weapon:

Assault rifle (FA) L (freebie if you choose soldier at hunt the thing) 0.8 dmg/sec , 2.831 eco

BUT... it can spray from left to right, hitting 5 targets for 1 dmg at once. It normally does 2 dmg max, so 5 dmg is 2,5 x

0.8 x2.5 dps =2 dps, 2.831 x2.5 = 7.07 eco

you can buy them for 14 pec At hunt the thing tt.. needs special ammo though.

Second best starter weapon:

Salafa beginner [L] (freebie at toulan)/B101 [L]

2.5 dps, 3.11 eco

Best beginner weapon:

Salafa G3 [L]/A101 6.4 dps, 2.998 eco

And this Weapons also work on Calipso and other Planets?

And this Weapons also work on Calipso and other Planets?

Yes I did a big chunk of the calypso puny mission with the assaul rifle. I actually bought a whole bunch of them. You will also need to buy the special ammo at the tt there. You cannot get it at other planets.

Great thread, +rep as usual. Since this post is a little dated, can we update the original post to include eco with a b101(L) amp since a101 prices have sky rocketed to over +200 ped markup? Also, maybe adding a section with these values including an imp ares to show how good these rings are for their new low price nowadays.

Thanks!

I started like this:
Hunt punies with best eco setup you can afford and heal when needed. Don't get killed and walk, looze time from revive. You will heal at revive as well. So better save time and heal at the hunt run location.
Hunt punies and heal until you skill enough evade to dont need to heal or to rarely heal. That is probably around evader level 5 or above. Try to use distance to your advantage. Kill before getting hit. Walk back. Use armor because decay is compensated in loot and don't worry about over kill because is it also compensated.
This is the sum up of advice I got from players and from reading.
Please correct me where I am wrong in order to be more eco, better at hunting.

Sorry but I have to ask. What’s with all your necro posts recently?
For example, you just replied to a post that lasts commented on 4th January 2017
Nothing on these forums these days to pass comment, so I find these old ones instead.

I started to like this:
  • Hunt punies with the best eco setup you can afford and heal when needed. DO NOT HEAL OR GET ARMOUR DECAY. THIS LOWERS YOUR OPTIMAL LOOT, AND THE DECAY GETS RETURNED IN SHRAPNEL BUT NOT AT THE FULL 100%.
  • Don't get killed and walk backwards, as you lose time from revive. ALWAYS WALK BACKWARDS OR KITE BACKWARDS IS ULTIMATELY MUCH FASTER AND BETTER IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THIS TECHNIQUE. REVIVING IS A WASTE OF TIME.
  • You will have to heal at reviving as well, so it's better to save time and heal when out at the hunt location. HEALING OUTSIDE OF MOB IS RISKIER THAN HEALING ON MOB, BUT HEALING ON MOB DOES THE ABOVE MENTIONED.
  • Hunt punies and heal until you skill enough evade, to not to heal or to heal rarely. That is probably around evader level 5 or above. EVADE IS USUALLY MOB LEVEL RATING + LV5 EVADER = MAXED EVADER. MOBS STILL HIT 25%.
  • Try to use distance to your advantage. Kill before getting hit. Walk backwards and use armour because decay is compensated in loot. ALWAYS USE AS MUCH DISTANCE TO INFLICT DMG WITHOUT GETTING HIT IN THE 1ST PLACE.
  • Don't worry about overkill because is it also compensated in shrapnel. IF YOU DEPOSIT, DON'T WORRY ABOUT OVERKILL; IF YOU ARE WORKING WITH A LIMITED BUDGET, OVERKILL HAS TO BE AVOIDED, EVERY PEC COUNTS.
  • This is the sum-up of advice I got from players and reading, so please correct me where I am wrong to be more eco, better at hunting. I ANSWERED THESE QUERIES AND SHARED SOME INFORMATION FOR BEING AN ECO HUNTER.

Please don't hold off on any secret know-how information or knowledge because retaining new players is important. Noob lives matter, lol. If this is a subtle shout out to me, then I am sorry. I have already helped so many different players ingame. I can't help everybody these days.
How do you think I managed to get all my knowledge from? I gained it through time and experience, which everyone needs themselves to grow. Many of the advice and tips you received were "good" but not "great" advice, so the EXP is what makes the most difference. I can't just hand that out whenever.

Last edited:
M Rufen power,
Thanks for the answers. Looks like you and only couple of others are helping, replying on posts with facts and clear instructions, advice. Wasn't a shout out to you but to others, since you already help a lot.
If all old players shared their knowledge it would be a significantly less steep learning curve, then it is right now.
But practice makes perfect, so shooting till the last Pec then counting loot and trying to sell bigger bundles at MU.
If not, deposit while wife is not looking...

Back