Returning as a casual player

Wollongong

Elite
Society
Odysseus Unbound
Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
In the past, I spent more time on EU than is good for me. I have always been poor, so I had to stick with the lower end mobs and activities. I ended up getting bored mindless by sweating and punies. Sometimes, I'd make an excursion to some ubermobs, like argonauts, but one day of hunting those, and I was broke again.

Then, I got drunk.
And this happened to be around when CLD were introduced. I have 13.

Since then, I have gotten a job, and I haven't actively played for...quite a while.

I am contemplating a return to the game. Today, I logged in, with the clear purpose of playing the game.
So there I was...at Twin... not having a clue what to do. I feel like a total noobie again. Everything changed. Mobs aren't where they used to be (so the hunting missions are a nightmare, as they tell me where the mobs USED to be. Most people I knew are gone. My society has remodelled into an investment fund, which I cannot participate in and as such, I feel a bit of an outsider there too.

I have looked at some active missions, one was about mining "The Island"... which Island?

I am just totally clueless.

So how would this total noob (lvl 27 laser sniper, lvl 8 miner) get back in the game, using only CLD revenue as play money? I could of course begin as a total beginner, but I don't see myself spending weeks on the sweating fields anymore either...

Hell, I don't even know what the current newbie area is anymore....

Time to look for a new society :)
Our society Concord was created back in 2004. Join us, we will get you back! ;)

Welcome back Wollongong

Perhaps a change of planet may help freshen things, some starter missions not done first time around etc
Arkadia is very new player ( or new player returning) friendly, with a nice range of low level mobs and missions to get you started.
Mining is pretty good also.

As for a new soc, maybe NBK Army. You know many of us from the NBK, and Army is our lower soc so appropriate for your skills. But with the wonders of the MAs chat system you would be able to chat with the whole group.

PM me in game if you want more info or a lift to Ark :)

In the past, I spent more time on EU than is good for me. I have always been poor, so I had to stick with the lower end mobs and activities. I ended up getting bored mindless by sweating and punies. Sometimes, I'd make an excursion to some ubermobs, like argonauts, but one day of hunting those, and I was broke again.

Then, I got drunk.
And this happened to be around when CLD were introduced. I have 13.

Since then, I have gotten a job, and I haven't actively played for...quite a while.

I am contemplating a return to the game. Today, I logged in, with the clear purpose of playing the game.
So there I was...at Twin... not having a clue what to do. I feel like a total noobie again. Everything changed. Mobs aren't where they used to be (so the hunting missions are a nightmare, as they tell me where the mobs USED to be. Most people I knew are gone. My society has remodelled into an investment fund, which I cannot participate in and as such, I feel a bit of an outsider there too.

I have looked at some active missions, one was about mining "The Island"... which Island?

I am just totally clueless.

So how would this total noob (lvl 27 laser sniper, lvl 8 miner) get back in the game, using only CLD revenue as play money? I could of course begin as a total beginner, but I don't see myself spending weeks on the sweating fields anymore either...

Hell, I don't even know what the current newbie area is anymore....

Go to Icarus and start the new player mission chains. They aren't all just sweating and move you away from punies rather quickly. On your CLD income you will still be playing at the lower end, but you should be able to keep afloat on mobs larger than puny.

Calypso generally is better to be on due to item availability on auction (you will want to be utilising (L) for maximum efficiency) but you can always test out other planets for the new starter mission chains.

Do the 'starter' missions on every planet... I'd say start with Calypso, but if you haven't really explored the other planets, do so just for new visuals... For super low end Rocktropia is actually ok as the 'bar mission' gives you daily tokens and it's repeatable, or at least it was last time I was over there... and the Billy bar fight instance there is a nice little way to spend some explosives if you get in to crafting them, assuming you have the low level ngl grenade launcher to go with that hobby. RT does get boring, but it's got ok music, and mobs that have 5 hp instead of the 10 puny do, so you can get more 'kill bonus' on em, if that is a real thing. At the very least do 'the thing' if you haven't yet.

If you stay on Caly, go visit Lahar and Icarus... Bukin's rifle is alright if you haven't picked up one yet.

Puny are boring as hell, but if you haven't done the entire puny mission chain yet, give it a try. Might see you out there in the field if you are around Icarus. Working on my last 500 for the 5k part of that chain myself at the moment since I deposited a few months back and ignored that mission chain in the past, lol.

If you are in to taming, there's a lot of low level mobs around that can use a good whippin. If you do go in to taming grab a viper whip and/or cobra to start out, or hell, just get the L starter package junk. Sib on viper is nice and it only does 2-5 damage. no sib on cobra sucks, but price wise it's ok til you can skill up to the level that a boiga requires... or that other massive sib one (mamba I believe) that has 3k tt value or whatever it is.

Last edited:
The 'new' chat system (which actually has been around since spring 2014), with its custom channels and ingame mail, has made societies to a large extent obsolete.

One of the most frequent newbie questions these days is "how do I leave a society?" - because they clicked 'accept' on some spammer's invitation in Icarus and now don't know what to do about that. Even those societies that don't spam random OJs mostly have relaxed admission criteria to a point where, by virtue of the law of large numbers, the bigger a society is, the more scum it contains. Think of it this way - if a total stranger offers you to join their society, they must been offering it to lots of people, and it's statistically unlikely all those people are good.

There of course still are decent closed clubs. They're decent because they're not open to everyone.

All this is not a reason to despair though. You don't really need a society anymore. With all those new channels (try, for example /listchannels caly or /listchannels cyr) you can usually find someone to talk to without going to Twins or wherever.

There is a teleporter at Port Atlantis that will take you to Thule, the first area new avatars visit on Calypso. Do those missions, then move to Camp Icarus and to the missions there.

At Camp Icarus you will get a piece of shitty armor and a very nice unlimited laser rifle (Bukin's Spare Rifle). From there you should move to Half Moon Bay and do the missions there.

Also, if you want to play on the payment from CLD consider investing a tiny tiny bit of money ($40) to buy the Gold Start Pack. You get a lot of very useful things. More info here.

Once at this point you can hunt small kerberos, cornundacauda, caudatergus, berycled, foul... all of them can be done on a fairly low pedcard.

Good luck.

playing with 13 CLD is, what, less than 50 peds a week? that's nothing. in my opinion, that should be totally out of the question, for a player having been here for 10 years, such as yourself.

otoh, if you sell those CLDs, you may get ~20-25k PED. that's a totally different story. with such bankroll, you can play "decently" (still low level, though) almost forever.

i understand that people find it attractive to "play for free with CLD returns", but c'mon, let's be realistic :)

playing with 13 CLD is, what, less than 50 peds a week? that's nothing. in my opinion, that should be totally out of the question, for a player having been here for 10 years, such as yourself.

otoh, if you sell those CLDs, you may get ~20-25k PED. that's a totally different story. with such bankroll, you can play "decently" (still low level, though) almost forever.

i understand that people find it attractive to "play for free with CLD returns", but c'mon, let's be realistic :)

This is true.

I would personally get a colonist snug, then cash in the CLD(X). With those funds, you could play very eco for a very long time... Adj resto, unL MF chips is a good route.

True, BUT, 57-58 ped or so will get ya an aud... could potentially become a reinvestment scheme for a while. CLD are at a pretty high markup if you do want to part with em, but on the other hand... speculation in what they will go to in the future potentially...

Playing with roi is very hard to do without making a deposit here and there to help out with investments from time to time, but it is possible... just got to scale down what you do to minimum levels... or simply stop playing as many hours a day, and move towards a few hours a week, etc.

The theoretical 'play for a dollar an hour' i.e. 10 ped an hour... is possible... just hard as hell to do.

Last edited:
Go to Icarus and start the new player mission chains. They aren't all just sweating and move you away from punies rather quickly. On your CLD income you will still be playing at the lower end, but you should be able to keep afloat on mobs larger than puny.

Calypso generally is better to be on due to item availability on auction (you will want to be utilising (L) for maximum efficiency) but you can always test out other planets for the new starter mission chains.

Oh, goody! A new chain. I actually found it to be quite fun to do. I got to the bit where I went in the cave and all that, but then the Capt. told me to talk to Sgt. Keen. Where on earth (erm...Calypso) is that guy?

Welcome back Wollongong

Perhaps a change of planet may help freshen things, some starter missions not done first time around etc
Arkadia is very new player ( or new player returning) friendly, with a nice range of low level mobs and missions to get you started.
Mining is pretty good also.

As for a new soc, maybe NBK Army. You know many of us from the NBK, and Army is our lower soc so appropriate for your skills. But with the wonders of the MAs chat system you would be able to chat with the whole group.

PM me in game if you want more info or a lift to Ark :)

Heya Granny,

do I know many in NBK? Not sure. But leaving Calypso would feel...I dunno...wrong.

(...)
If you stay on Caly, go visit Lahar and Icarus... Bukin's rifle is alright if you haven't picked up one yet.

Lahar

Is that the only new TP, or are there more? Seems I'll spend some time exploring my home planet again.

Well...
I am still hoping to, at some point, be able to claim a plot of land somewhere, someday. I did try on the first two waves, but each time arrived too late...

The 'new' chat system (which actually has been around since spring 2014), with its custom channels and ingame mail, has made societies to a large extent obsolete.

(...)

All this is not a reason to despair though. You don't really need a society anymore. With all those new channels (try, for example /listchannels caly or /listchannels cyr) you can usually find someone to talk to without going to Twins or wherever.

That is interesting.... I was on the Kronan channel for a while (haven;t been fully absent long enough to not have seen new chat) and some others, but I got kinda confused with all the different tabs and stuff.
And I dunno... a society would feel kinda like a "home" in a way that random chat-channels can't. Or am I just too much of an old fart now?

Well there are some new planets you could try out,
Alondra, Chrysalian homeworld, Draygo, Norcadia Prime, Organia ...

Oh wait ...
those are in another game, my bad. :eek:

Welcome back, hope you enjoy the game again. :D

Oh, goody! A new chain. I actually found it to be quite fun to do. I got to the bit where I went in the cave and all that, but then the Capt. told me to talk to Sgt. Keen. Where on earth (erm...Calypso) is that guy?

If thats the Argonaut Outrunner mission chain you shouldn't find it too difficult as a non-new player.

It's a new mission so waypoints should show you where the NPC are if you have the mission tracked.

Entropedia has had a few downtime issues lately but it is up at the time of typing:

http://www.entropiawiki.com/Chart.aspx?chart=Mission

Oh and of course, welcome back! :)

Just give it some time, first two weeks I felt discouraged from the huge amount of info I had to catch up.
I also second the advice to sell the CLDs.

BUT after you have a couple of months, to re-learn the things around.

I also second the advice to sell the CLDs.

Might want to check your Ped Flow Center Wollongong before selling the CLD's, you might have enough in there to keep you going for quite a while. :)

If thats the Argonaut Outrunner mission chain you shouldn't find it too difficult as a non-new player.

It's a new mission so waypoints should show you where the NPC are if you have the mission tracked.

Entropedia has had a few downtime issues lately but it is up at the time of typing:

http://www.entropiawiki.com/Chart.aspx?chart=Mission

Oh and of course, welcome back! :)

I think I finished the mission from the Capt, and now have to find the Sgt. for a new one, so that would mean there is no active mission, right?

Get Vivo S10 from the gauntlet mission at Icarus.
Get X3 from Cyrene (actually buy it in Caly auction^^) and A102 Amp
If you want to discover a new planet: Get refurbished Heart from Cyrene.

Play for very very long on finishing all the missions you can do with that setup. And depending on your playtime you probably make profit with that setup and CLD-return.

Did you do the new Mentoring system yet? Dont remember when this was introduced but you might be disciple again and get a free adj. pixi armor.

To the community-stuff: There are some soc where you can have that home-feeling. But because of that new chat systems its even harder to find those these days...

Standing about ten feet away on the other side of the ramp.

Lahar

Is that the only new TP, or are there more? Seems I'll spend some time exploring my home planet again.

Welcome back! :)

You can find pretty much all tp changes on Calypso since July 2013 documented in this thread.

If you start reading from the back until you reach a post written at a time when you still played you get all added/renamed/removed tps since then.

Don't lock yourself into the CLD income.

Sell 1 of your CLDs and play sustainably with that. A small bankroll is counterproductive to efficient (and fun) gameplay. One lump sum of PED and intelligent gameplay will go a much longer way. The income from the remaining 12 CLDs will help negate losses if you have extended bad luck streaks.

Just be sure to do your research! These forums are a great resource. As is joining an experienced society!

I guarantee you that 2000 PED in your card can generate several times more profit than 1 extra CLD rotting in your inventory.

Last edited:
You need to keep all of your CLDs.

Keep all of them, and swunt Ambu. Constantly make swunt teams, if there are none, just sweat. Build yourself a PED card with the CLD revenue, then do some very low tier hunting with iron missions.

How on Earth is that "Go into the Argo cave and get the equipment" mission a noob mission? No way a newbie can pull this off...

How on Earth is that "Go into the Argo cave and get the equipment" mission a noob mission? No way a newbie can pull this off...

A graduated noobie can...all you need is the adjusted pixie armor if you have low evade.

You're right, it's not. There is a newbie mission on that island, not part of a mission chain last I knew, but the daily mission needs a higher level. It's not a bad deal if you are doing the iron mission, but I think it should give at least 2 tokens. It takes at least 100 ped of ammo to do.

Is that the mission you got from the sgt? I thought you were supposed to get Iron Road.

Back