Deposit

Alins

Provider
I was wondering if you could use a prepaid VISA or MC to make a deposit? Anyone? :scratch2:

I was wondering if you could use a prepaid VISA or MC to make a deposit? Anyone? :scratch2:
Yes, a few years ago I used both, but I would not recommend them... unless you can buy some in US denomination.
The problem is you have to calculate the closest US dollar amount the current exchange rate they impose will give you -- you always lose at worst a few cents. Also the exchange rate might be one of least competitive, but I haven't checked recently.

Paypal is an option. Another is getting a debit card that can use the credit card payment network, but charges directly your chequing account. RBC call theirs virtual visa debit card, and I'm sure all the other major banks have it too.

not really... at least not easily. Green dot type prepaid may potentially be possible (never used one myself), but most other card types won't work since Visa and the other middle men have put stricter security measures on that type of thing that keeps you from doing this type of stuff as you won't have access to all of the security features that you'll need to finalize the transaction... Also, be careful on this if you are not in Sweden since a LOT of cards these days, at least here in the US are 'domestic only' meaning you can't use em for any out-of-country purchases...

Paypal tied to a bank account is probably the easiest option I've found other than actual bank transfers... (can't do those any more since my own bank's gotten a lot stricter on what it does and limits the amount that transactions can be done for as well as limits the transfers to domestic only as well)

If you do go the bank transfer route be sure to get all of the iban numbers, etc. all figured out before you need to do any withdrawals or else you'll get eaten alive on getting peds back out in to dollars (a lot of bank staff here in the US have less knowledge about this type of stuff than you or I do just from reading the posts here)

If you go the paypal route, do transfers from the bank in to the paypal account, which takes a while 2 days - 2 weeks or so for some banks, then do the deposit once the funds are in there... You can try the faster option, but it may not go through...

Yes.
I used pre-paid card (Visa), without problem for couple years.
Now I use PayPal, but nothing changed for this tho.
But always you can ask your bank about.

As was already mentioned above, they have really cracked down on pre-paid card international transactions to the point where I don't even think it's possible anymore. I switched to PayPal using their fairly new in-store deposit app. No need for a bank account, if you have a PayPal account you can log in and select the in-store add cash option to add funds, then take the printout to any Rite-Aid or CVS pharmacy (should be at least a Rite-Aid in Calgary). At the register they will add any amount you want but charge a $3.95 fee per transaction. This has been the easiest way for me to get cash into EU, hope it helps.

Back