System Requirements and Account Security Notification

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
In light of the recent malware and ransomware attacks, including WannaCry, MindArk has performed a comprehensive review of its security policies and procedures.

In order to ensure an appropriate level of account security for our customers, MindArk has decided to discontinue support for Windows XP and older operating systems starting in Q4 of 2017.

We urge any Entropia Universe participants still using Windows XP or older versions of Windows to upgrade their operating systems within the next several months. MindArk will provide information and support once the upgrade deadline approaches later this year.

Account security is MindArk’s highest priority; we appreciate your understanding and cooperation in helping to keep Entropia Universe safe and secure for all participants.

We also encourage all participants to secure their Entropia Universe accounts with the Entropia Pocket two-factor security system.

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

In light of the recent malware and ransomware attacks, including WannaCry, MindArk has performed a comprehensive review of its security policies and procedures.
In order to ensure an appropriate level of account security for our customers, MindArk has decided to discontinue support for Windows XP and older operating systems starting in Q4 of 2017.
We urge any Entropia Universe participants still using Windows XP or older versions of Windows to upgrade their operating systems within the next several months. MindArk will provide information and support once the upgrade deadline approaches later this year.
Account security is MindArk’s highest priority; we appreciate your understanding and cooperation in helping to keep Entropia Universe safe and secure for all participants.
We also encourage all participants to secure their Entropia Universe accounts with the Entropia Pocket two-factor security system.

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

fair enough, any chance DX11 will be implented as XP is gone?

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

The link provided for Entropia Pocket says 404 Not Found

I've been away from the game for some time. How is Entropia Pocket better than my Gold Card?

The link provided for Entropia Pocket says 404 Not Found

I've been away from the game for some time. How is Entropia Pocket better than my Gold Card?

more portable
no hardware needs to be posted out, just need iPhone, Android (or google Authenicator on Windows Phone)
no syncing issues due to codes going out of order, as long as your date and time are correct it should always be in sync
plus they sent notifications when events start

downside, it makes a loud bloop noise when you open it or renew code, it can't be muted unless you mute the phone... i hate that noise

more portable
no hardware needs to be posted out, just need Iphone, Android (or google Authenicator on Windows)
no syncing issues due to codes going out of sync, as long as your date and time is correct it will always be in sync

I don't know. If its not broken, I don't want to fix it. I've had the same Gold Card since 2005... literally the same piece of plastic and the words "Project Entropia" are almost completely worn off. It works fine.. no issues.

I don't know. If its not broken, I don't want to fix it. I've had the same Gold Card since 2005... literally the same piece of plastic and the words "Project Entropia" are almost completely worn off. It works fine.. no issues.

while GC is supported, there is no reason to change really, i moved as there were times i wanted access to the web side at work, but card was at home

as GC is totally unconnected to the net, its much more secure. only way its gonna be compromised is if its stolen physically, your GC is cloned (afaik all readers are the same, its just the GC that is unique) or someone gets the formula/list of generated codes

I stick to my GC so i can logg in...:laugh:
To keep Entropia safe is good but if that mean we cant logg in, it dont sound as a good solution:scratch2:

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

I read the most machines that were affected were running Windows 7, are you going to stop supporting Windows 7 also?

According to data released today by Kaspersky Lab, roughly 98 percent of the computers affected by the ransomware were running some version of Windows 7, with less than one in a thousand running Windows XP. 2008 R2 Server clients were also hit hard, making up just over 1 percent of infections.

Windows 7 is still by far the most common version of Windows, running on roughly four times as many computers as Windows 10 worldwide. Since more recent versions of Windows aren’t vulnerable to WannaCry, it makes sense that most of the infections would hit computers running 7. Still, the stark disparity emphasizes how small of a role Windows XP seems to have played in spreading the infection, despite early concerns about the outdated operating system.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/15665488/wannacry-windows-7-version-xp-patched-victim-statistics

When will you start supporting Linux and Mac?

downside, it makes a loud bloop noise when you open it or renew code, it can't be muted unless you mute the phone... i hate that noise

Another downside is when they fuck up after a patching event and don't have someone verify the App login to realize its broken your locked out of the game for an entire day until MA wakes up and goes to work and realizes they fucked up and fix it.

I second the question above. What does "discontinue support for Windows XP" actually mean? To make it stop running on a specific OS, the program needs to detect it and then deliberately refuse to start even if it actually could. Means they will need to do extra coding for it. Or will support just refuse to help a stubborn XP user who has a technical problem? That I can understand, while a little iffy about the former.

If the whole virus scare is rather a welcome excuse to push forward with moving the game engine to a more modern version which inevitably means abandoning some backward compatibility, please just say so. Many are requesting it anyway. The exploit has been patched with great haste, even on the old XP. It was only the careless users who got caught.

If ...X..., please just say so.
Wouldn't that be confusing to people who know that MA 'always' means something different from what they say? :confused:

But anyway, aside from the hopefully understandable humour on our part, please confirm whether you intend to take steps to actively block/make impossible the use of XP as of the 4th quarter.

What about android security as the new security system is based on it? Are u going to require certain version of android?

I don't know. If its not broken, I don't want to fix it.

Don't. I never had problems with my GC since 2007, it even still used its original batteries when I imprudently decided to check out the Entropia Pocket, not knowing that activating it will turn the GC into an useless piece of memorabilia. Now I'm stuck with the Pocket which kept me out of Entropia for most of the last weekend, and it wasn't the first time. GC users didn't have any problems.

Don't. I never had problems with my GC since 2007, it even still used its original batteries when I imprudently decided to check out the Entropia Pocket, not knowing that activating it will turn the GC into an useless piece of memorabilia. Now I'm stuck with the Pocket which kept me out of Entropia for most of the last weekend, and it wasn't the first time. GC users didn't have any problems.

you can roll back to the GC tho, if you didn't remove the GC before you added EP, by removing EP it goes back to the GC (well did for me)

I wonder what % of players use XP, as EU isn't really a low spec game i'd suspect most XP machines couldn't play EU anyway. its possible the way XP works, it might require additional coding and testing to get XP working and if the % is tiny, you might as well move away.

I like my Goldcard... The big problem with having it on phone is that if you drop the phone, it gets defective suddenly or stolen, you're off Entropia untill you can get the security changed to a new device... GC is nice and simple... First of all very secure

you can roll back to the GC tho, if you didn't remove the GC before you added EP, by removing EP it goes back to the GC (well did for me)
Well, that uh, depends... Mindark's support is less than helpful if things don't go exactly as planned. They will help you but it'll take em a while to do it...

If you remove the pocket from account, don't expect gold card to work... it might, but it might not... if it doesn't they'll have to resync it for you... or possibly remove it from account to give you other options... The QR code thing for pocket works but the type in the digits thing doesn't nowadays... so you need a 'real camera' on whatever android device you put pocket on. Read that some here have done emulators like blue stacks, but if you don't have a camera on the emulator you can't get that qr thing to work for you, etc. .. if you fiddle with all of that and the gc isn't synced up like mine was expect a hassle that only support can help with, whenever they finally get to it.

Also, don't try to put pocket on more than one device since it ain't gonna work.

I like my Goldcard... The big problem with having it on phone is that if you drop the phone, it gets defective suddenly or stolen, you're off Entropia untill you can get the security changed to a new device... GC is nice and simple... First of all very secure

What you do is wait til you 'upgrade'... then use old phone for pocket, and keep it near the computer you log in to Entropia with. What's nice about this option, if you deposit regularly, like I do, is that you won't be able to deposit unless you are near the computer... so won't be tempted to open boxes left and right all week long by depositing more than you are 'supposed to' due to gambling addictions (and boredom in doctor waiting rooms) like I was doing when Easter boxes were still up. ;)

I second the question above. What does "discontinue support for Windows XP" actually mean? To make it stop running on a specific OS, the program needs to detect it and then deliberately refuse to start even if it actually could. Means they will need to do extra coding for it. Or will support just refuse to help a stubborn XP user who has a technical problem? That I can understand, while a little iffy about the former.

AFAIK it deliberately refuses to start - when I was messing with EU on rat linux, I accidentally put emulator settings wrong, and it told me "sorry, Windows Server Something is not supported". :laugh:

On a side note, "upgrading" on linux is a matter of ~two clicks.

I swore by my gold card, but the entropia pocket works very well imho.
No more error 72's. After 8 years my gold card was getting a bit old.
When on the road I could not log in into virtual tycoon because my gold card was on my desk while my Phone is always with me.
No longer need to be afraid that my ancient reader dies suddenly.
So yes, there surely are some benefits.

And besides, its free! Instead of the 250ped for a new gold card/reader.

The same will happen if your card reader dies. Or if you lose your reader. So not actually a strong point in favor for the CG.

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

Actually Windows XP machines were only a tiny percentage of all affected systems, with vast majority (~97%) being Windows 7 as started by Kaspersky Lab's director of analysis Costin Raiu.

More read here.

Re the gold cards -

I guess its a bit like the card reader security the major banks brought out some years ago, yes they work but are a complete pain the in the arse. Newer systems have been designed to make the whole thing a bit more user friendly. However the major difference I see if people playing EU actively sit down at the pc to do so, where as a huge amount of banking is done on the move, so a card reader is more of an inconvenience.

aye, mac brought this up earlier. Excuse or not, either way XP is dead and MA might as well stop throwing resources at making it compatable

I'd hope Mindark would at least check to see how many of their customers use Win XP before they made it incompatible.

I migrated a number of years ago to Win 7 64 bit because there were areas that needed more RAM to access on Very High setting (Fort Victoria being one in particular) but other than that, Win XP is widely considered the 2nd best OS Microsoft ever made. I'm still using the best one they've ever made. ;)

I'd hope Mindark would at least check to see how many of their customers use Win XP before they made it incompatible.

I migrated a number of years ago to Win 7 64 bit because there were areas that needed more RAM to access on Very High setting (Fort Victoria being one in particular) but other than that, Win XP is widely considered the 2nd best OS Microsoft ever made. I'm still using the best one they've ever made. ;)

i'm assuming they have checked the % of xp users, well i'd have hoped so. i've never understood why 7 was loved over 8 & 10. its basically the same OS, ie Win8 was more like a service pack upgrade of 7 but with a tablet start menu which you could disable. Win10 is just another service pack but with game modes, background recording and cortana

I've never understood why 7 was loved over 8 & 10. its basically the same OS, ie Win8 was more like a service pack upgrade of 7 but with a tablet start menu which you could disable. Win10 is just another service pack but with game modes, background recording and cortana

windows_8.jpg

I could link you loads of articles that have been published over the years, but you can find them easily enough by googling for them.

Last edited:
i've never understood why 7 was loved over 8 & 10. its basically the same OS, ie Win8 was more like a service pack upgrade of 7 but with a tablet start menu which you could disable. Win10 is just another service pack but with game modes, background recording and cortana

mm exactly.

Windows 10 is windows 8 with cortana; but if you live in a country where Cortana works, you can't disable it. All your searches for files on your local harddrive always will search through internet (read: what you search for locally will be sent to Microsoft servers).

If you install Office, you remove "powerpoint" from the left side start menu because "I'll never use it" but you in a week do want it there, the only supported way to get it to start menu is to roll back to a previous restore point. On the other hand, MS will gladly install shareware programs like "clash of clans" on your startmenu when you get your new PC, and Microsoft can add "suggestions" to it. And though even had made a clean version of WIndows "without bloatware", the factory windows will show you advertisments.

Technically, Windows 10 is great. Socially it's a disaster. When people complained about the metro menu, they added something something simular to win 7 start menu - but you can't add programs to it yourself.

Not sure if it's fixed, but with windows 7 you could set a registry key to keep it from rebooting when you least expected it. Windows 10 just ignore that registry key (unless it's enterprize version - which you can't buy as a living person) - so with Windows 10, Microsoft decides when to reboot the computer (by sending an update 24 hours or so ahead), and then the computer will reboot when you're afk, even if you have programs running or unsaved open documents open.

Lots of people had "Classic shell" to avoid the (rather useless) windows 10 start menu (see above), Microsoft noted that, and at installation of "anniversary update" Microsoft silently uninstalled it. And reversed your privacy settings.

So, again: Windows 10 is probably a more secure and better oS than Windows 7. And, well "newer". Though, when it comes to "user experience" Microsoft is totally tonedeaf. They've said they've fixed things, like put back the old start menu, but they clearly think people are stupid enough to just look at it, not actually use it. Same things with rebooting the computer when you're afk. (Windows 7 fresh install does that also, but in win7 you can set a change in registry.)

Oh one more thing: If you got Win 7 Ultimate and you update to Windows 10, you actually got a downgrade. You won't get the enterprize version (even though that also would be a step down), but you would get bumped down *twice* to Windows 10 Professional. (If you got win 7 starter or basic version you would get an upgrade though.)

Last edited:
mm exactly.

Windows 10 is windows 8 with cortana; but if you live in a country where Cortana works, you can't disable it. All your searches for files on your local harddrive always will search through internet (read: what you search for locally will be sent to Microsoft servers).

If you install Office, you remove "powerpoint" from the left side start menu because "I'll never use it" but you in a week do want it there, the only supported way to get it to start menu is to roll back to a previous restore point. On the other hand, MS will gladly install shareware programs like "clash of clans" on your startmenu when you get your new PC, and Microsoft can add "suggestions" to it. And though even had made a clean version of WIndows "without bloatware", the factory windows will show you advertisments.

Technically, Windows 10 is great. Socially it's a disaster. When people complained about the metro menu, they added something something simular to win 7 start menu - but you can't add programs to it yourself.

Not sure if it's fixed, but with windows 7 you could set a registry key to keep it from rebooting when you least expected it. Windows 10 just ignore that registry key (unless it's enterprize version - which you can't buy as a living person) - so with Windows 10, Microsoft decides when to reboot the computer (by sending an update 24 hours or so ahead), and then the computer will reboot when you're afk, even if you have programs running or unsaved open documents open.

Lots of people had "Classic shell" to avoid the (rather useless) windows 10 start menu (see above), Microsoft noted that, and at installation of "anniversary update" Microsoft silently uninstalled it. And reversed your privacy settings.

So, again: Windows 10 is probably a more secure and better oS than Windows 7. And, well "newer". Though, when it comes to "user experience" Microsoft is totally tonedeaf. They've said they've fixed things, like put back the old start menu, but they clearly think people are stupid enough to just look at it, not actually use it. Same things with rebooting the computer when you're afk. (Windows 7 fresh install does that also, but in win7 you can set a change in registry.)

Oh one more thing: If you got Win 7 Ultimate and you update to Windows 10, you actually got a downgrade. You won't get the enterprize version (even though that also would be a step down), but you would get bumped down *twice* to Windows 10 Professional. (If you got win 7 starter or basic version you would get an upgrade though.)

https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

Isnt that version more suiting ??? Im looking for to upgrade to that in my business, just ordered a copy to try it out for one client to start with.

https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

Isnt that version more suiting ??? Im looking for to upgrade to that in my business, just ordered a copy to try it out for one client to start with.

If Microsoft made Enterprize edition to everyone then Windows 10 would be a no-brainer. Problem is, they don't. As a home (or small company) user, then you are stuck with the adware versions of Windows 10.

If you represent a bigger company (well it's starting at 5 licenses or so) or you work as a consultant that works with compaines that are enrolled already (or can be persuaded to) in the multi license agreements then again Windows 10 would probably be the best to get.

For those who didn't get the connection: There is a "long term service", a version that gets supported a longer time (eg 10 years) with security updates but without new "features". However it requires an Enterprize Edition license.

The article says it's free with nagscreens coming up after the first 90 days; however if MS would like to, some part in the future, they're free to enforce the licens terms then after 90 days they could chose to tie down the OS to some sort of recovery mode so that only recovery of files and complete OS uninstall is possible. And if you're running a correctly licensed version of Window 7 then you probably don't want to install a demo version of Windows 10 that is at risk of stopping working completely at any time in the future after 90 days of install.

Short summary: Enterprize Edition is like an updated Windows 7 Professional but it isn't offered to the public. Windows 10 home/professional, sold separately and preinstalled on computers, is basically an ad sponsored version of Windows 10. A Long Term Support version is availible for 10 EE users but not for home/professional users.

It's not possible (easily(*)) for a home user to upgrade from Windows 10 Home/Professional to Enterprize Edition.

(*) There is some mention of that anyone can have a rental license of Windows 10 EE, but it's hard to get information about it.

Last edited:

if you remove anything from the start menu, you can re-add by right clicking on anything (apps, normal programs or documents) and select add to start menu, this is identical to Win 8 before and after Metro full screen and Win 10. when you remove from the left side, i assume you mean all apps list, that is the same as uninstalling but you can hide them iirc

it'll never install shareware without you clicking install, just suggestions which takes you to the store page, but you can turn them off. Never had these adverts that were mentioned, but i have heard about them

this is the same as earlier versions just a shorter warning, when you get an update it will restart your machine after 48hr and only in the quiet time you have specified, default is like 12am - 6am. it won't restart if your using it and not before that time, most of us would be turning the computer off a night, therefore installing that update

and you can disable Cortana still, hit notepad then about me on the cortana pop up and sign out

Last edited:
Back