What type of weapon would you suggest to a new player ?

What weapon would you suggest to a new player ?

• Ranged

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • Melee

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Mind force chip

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Support

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
I am just wondering as I see a few people using melee and mind force chips. I look at what the best players use and it seems that they are using ranged weapons so I would think that would be the best choice. I think one of the biggest reason is the number of choices that one has in ranged weapons is the overwhelming factor. I don't mind someone disagreeing with me but if you do please state your reasoning as there may be things that I have not considered and could sway my suggestion to a new player when asked. BTW I just put in the support choice so I don't have to answer why I did not put it in.

Unfortunately, I would like to say melee for the benefits. But as a new player the 9ped and up for tt weapons is probably too steep for a new player. But if that player does the mission for the bukins blade that's a good start.

Unfortunately, I would like to say melee for the benefits. But as a new player the 9ped and up for tt weapons is probably too steep for a new player. But if that player does the mission for the bukins blade that's a good start.

there is no mission for bukins blade anymore. its now bukins rifle.

I agree, I would love to say melee or even MF but realistically these should not be started until the new player has at least reached lvl 20 in a ranged weapon. That being said my main profession is Laser Pistol but I spent a couple of years skilling melee part time and have been skilling MF on the side for the last few months. Good thing with Melee and MF is that UL SiB weapons are very reasonable compared to their ranged counterparts

Best weapon is a debit card...

On the long term, if you targetting unl weapons, melee weapons tend to have lower mu compared to comparable dps guns.

But with current loot being mostly shrap, you have to consider that you get a "1% bonus ammo" that melee users don't get. Over time that shrap 1% can add up as well.

I switched mostly to melee about a year ago. Will I do that knowing how most loot is shrap now? I don't know.

Would have prefered another option - Up to play style / long term plans, so not voting.

Yeah, three of these 4 categories are 'ranged' damage. I didn't vote.

Laser and BLP (assuming this is what you mean with the ranged option) have their different strengths and weaknesses vs one another as well. I always talk to someone for a bit about what they like/plan to do in game before i would recommend gear. Sniper/pistol is an important choice too.

For those unsure or whose highest priority is long term cost laser sniper is the safest recommendation IMO since it's the most common/popular and so will be easiest to find, offer the most variety of configuration options, and most of all likely to continue offering the more affordable range of gear in game at equivalent DPP/DPS.

There is one thing that melee is good for that I forgot about, skilling strength in the beginning. I was able to jump like 5 or 6 levels in health because you get one health point for 20 strength points. After the 5 or 6 health points the increase when down quick and I went back to ranged.

Laser and BLP (assuming this is what you mean with the ranged option) have their different strengths and weaknesses vs one another as well. I always talk to someone for a bit about what they like/plan to do in game before i would recommend gear. Sniper/pistol is an important choice too.

For those unsure or whose highest priority is long term cost laser sniper is the safest recommendation IMO since it's the most common/popular and so will be easiest to find, offer the most variety of configuration options, and most of all likely to continue offering the more affordable range of gear in game at equivalent DPP/DPS.

Not sure what you mean as far as I know those four were the only categories available unless you know of more.

there is no mission for bukins blade anymore. its now bukins rifle.

There were two missions for a Bukin's Blade, one at Icarus and another at Half Moon. My understanding is that only Icarus was changed to rifle but I can't check, gotta ask some OJ.

There is one thing that melee is good for that I forgot about, skilling strength in the beginning. I was able to jump like 5 or 6 levels in health because you get one health point for 20 strength points. After the 5 or 6 health points the increase when down quick and I went back to ranged.

Strength also increases carry capacity. I wouldn't be able to do much mining with the default 150 kg, my deadweight is about 170. :laugh:

For a player starting on Caly, and I do recommend they start on Caly, ranged laser. It's clear that for the last two or three years MA/Caly have been funneling new players into ranged laser, probably to help retention by making things less confusing. So if they go ranged laser, they'll have MA's support early (UA mission rewards, gun drops from punies, pretty good TT guns, webpack amp, daily token vendor guns, etc). If they go melee, they're swimming against the tide.

If they want to switch, they should probably at least wait until they graduate from the Gauntlet.

Not sure what you mean as far as I know those four were the only categories available unless you know of more.

Nah I think those are the auction categories right? You can cram everything under them.

Just being pedantic three of the four poll options are actually 'ranged attacks' and these groupings include a large variety of different skill trees, that I wouldn't consider to be necessarily interchangeable (i.e. pistoleer vs sniper) when making recommendations.

I'd ramble more but I'm headed out to work. I chose not to vote on a whole grouping but my only 'generic' recommendation (for someone not sure of long term goals due to newness or just indecision) is definitely laser sniper, for reasons mentioned here by myself and others.

Edit: Burning a few TT knives/swords is good for any player who can afford it when they're starting out. The quick boost to strength (so both carrying capacity and HP) has a real impact on playability. This is a matter of budget thought, melee is a tough choice for a main profession.

Nah I think those are the auction categories right? You can cram everything under them.

Just being pedantic three of the four poll options are actually 'ranged attacks' and these groupings include a large variety of different skill trees, that I wouldn't consider to be necessarily interchangeable (i.e. pistoleer vs sniper) when making recommendations.

I'd ramble more but I'm headed out to work. I chose not to vote on a whole grouping but my only 'generic' recommendation (for someone not sure of long term goals due to newness or just indecision) is definitely laser sniper, for reasons mentioned here by myself and others.

Edit: Burning a few TT knives/swords is good for any player who can afford it when they're starting out. The quick boost to strength (so both carrying capacity and HP) has a real impact on playability. This is a matter of budget thought, melee is a tough choice for a main profession.

Actually as near as I can tell from EP all weapons fit in to the 4 categories, you may be thinking of class like long blade and short blade different weapons same category.

Yeah i did the same thing. To me melee just had a better feel to it when hunting animals. Made the game a little more fun.

A player already starts with ranged through the free pistols he gets handed in the crystalline cavern and in thule.
It is a players choice what to do, the important thing for a mentor to do is to explain the differences and how it effects them later on. I am all over the place when it comes to hunting and that's why I have a relatively low level. My main weapon now is a knife, combined with a nice damaging long range rifle and a pistol. For me it is nice to have choices, be it mindforce or melee or ranged blp or laser options. But a new player may find leveling to level 70 to unlock commando with one type of weapon more appealing. So my advice to a new player is to inform them as good as I can and let them make their own choice. There is no right or wrong.

A player already starts with ranged through the free pistols he gets handed in the crystalline cavern and in thule.
It is a players choice what to do, the important thing for a mentor to do is to explain the differences and how it effects them later on. I am all over the place when it comes to hunting and that's why I have a relatively low level. My main weapon now is a knife, combined with a nice damaging long range rifle and a pistol. For me it is nice to have choices, be it mindforce or melee or ranged blp or laser options. But a new player may find leveling to level 70 to unlock commando with one type of weapon more appealing. So my advice to a new player is to inform them as good as I can and let them make their own choice. There is no right or wrong.

I agree pretty much with what you say and i did about the same as you. However I would never advise anyone after about level 10-15 in anything to continue doing the switching around. A player should pretty well know what he likes and also know his choices such as availability, costs associated with most all of the weapons. I think then he should make a choice and not changed from then on. Mainly because it is hard to get to level 100 when changing weapons all the time. It seemed to be ok until about level 50 and then it gets real hard after that at least if did for me.

If he has the money. Would suggest MF mixed with Mele, you get all attributes that way. And of course, not someone that quits after one week. On someone serious that does a nice run of time.

Until MA release more affordable mid range UL range weapons, I would suggest melee.

The mid range melee weapons have pretty reasonable mark ups to buy. Dagger a bit better than sword though. But if you're around the 50-60 mark with ranged weapons you're shelling out thousands for a UL. Or you can just use L for lyfe....

For a new player definately ranged, and lead him to the bukins rifle.
Then the upgrade mission to Adjusted Bukins Rifle.

For further progress I would recomend a combination of ranged and melee, its very comfortable if you can shoot a mob half down befor it gets into melee range, and melee helps to build HP faster.

If you look at PvP especially landgrab, you will see that many of those participating in landgrabs use combinations of ranged, melee and mindforce.

Sometimes watching a youtube video or a livestream from UBERs, then you can see what I mean.

For a new player definately ranged, and lead him to the bukins rifle.
Then the upgrade mission to Adjusted Bukins Rifle.

For further progress I would recomend a combination of ranged and melee, its very comfortable if you can shoot a mob half down befor it gets into melee range, and melee helps to build HP faster.

If you look at PvP especially landgrab, you will see that many of those participating in landgrabs use combinations of ranged, melee and mindforce.

Sometimes watching a youtube video or a livestream from UBERs, then you can see what I mean.

The only thing I have with using mixed weapons is it cuts down on leveling up on your chosen professional goal like 100 laser damage and 100 laser sniper hit. After reaching your goal even if it is not lvl 100 then I think the mix if fine

when i hunted more active on the low levels i had success with the formula:

hp of the creature / effective damage of the weapons = not more than 10-15 attacks to kill the target

choose the weapon with the highest damage per pec possible for its category (rifle, pistols, long short, etc)

if the weapon is ampable do that. use the biggest and most eco amp the weapon can handle to boost damage per pec.

i dont know about loot 2.0 though as i sold all my weapons and dont have enough time atm to go shopping and spend much time in eu.

if i would start now i prolly use my formula from above and use the weapon which matches the criteria highest dpp , eco rating and able to kill the usual low level mobs within 10-15 shots.

1.use melee until martial arts unlocked
2.use laser guns (rifle or pistol dont matter) and hunt for MU (usual roi back in the days was 115-125% after mu - would need a summer 2017 check to determine whats best to hunt as i dont know that atm)
3.count peds spend vs loot incl. mu after every session to keep your roi in sight.
4.dont waste time with swunt but kill kill kill.
5.dont hunt low level with under 5k ped on your card as you need to collect loot and repair your equipment until you can sell good stacks of loot at once.
6.check if my writings here are correct. loot 2.0 is unknown for me so maybe stop in between and adjust to your gained experience as a player behind the keyboard. from what i gathered in form of theoretical knowledge about 2.0 mindarks information about the type of loot you can get should be helpful as an indicator if you are on an eco path or not.
7.if you dont know how to do the calculations i described here then better think of sweating or trading or other activity in eu as it will be difficult for you if you cant do this basic math. you need a real life teacher then and not help inside eu as it can get financial dangerous for you to click blindly around. this is no offense but the truth. maybe the best advise ever posted on the forum.

greets,

Ranged, I think the ADJ ML35 is the best weapon.

Last edited:
I started using MF early on due to the "cool" factor. And now even with new chips, amps and implants I still feel like i'm gimped compared to players of similar skill level.

Now I just stick with it out of stubbornness.

Last edited:

Melee weapons have range too, sometimes as much as 15 meters

Hmm revisiting this, sorry I worded that poorly.

The use of the term ranged gets me because it technically describe every non-melee weapon in the game but that's just being silly don't stress it. :ahh:

The auction category breakdown isn't enough to make recommendations really.

Since the Ranged category really covers 6 professions, each with pros and cons.

Likewise mindforce but it's three professions with 6 different categories of weaponry.

et cetera ...

For a new player I would probably give more specific advice like laser sniper with some reasons.

Back