PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 159
  1. #81
    Elite Aio's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Location
    Under Your Bed.
    Avatar
    Aio Dakina
    Society
    Veterans
    Posts
    3,835
    Images
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan 008 Bond View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Learn about the at least 4 or 5 asteroids that we have already identified. One has a value of 10 quadrillion dollars in nickel and iron alone, another contains more gold than we have ever excavated in the history of humanity. Another just passed by earth recently full of platinum

    This is not sci-fi, these are real, named asteroids, we know exactly where they are and we know what's in them. They are also in their unoxedized form naturally. There are 2 companies already targeted missions around 2020.

    Where do you think all of the stored value in the world is going to go when all precious metals become common?

    Thoughts?
    My thoughts are you should take this course: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q64-phy and then come back and tell me how we're going to mine asteroids. If you do it in the recommended timescale, you'll have an undergrad degree just in time to see those first mining ships leave earth

  2. #82
    Chaotic Good
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Mega's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    England
    Avatar
    MegaVolt
    Society
    Kaos
    Posts
    15,145
    Blog Entries
    6
    Images
    1736


    Gold is Cold
    Diamonds are Dead
    Limousine is a Car


    Know what's real. Please dont get burnt.


  3. #83
    Yes, its all very exciting.

    But my point is being that the pricing atm, in my opinion, doesn't quite correlate well with the existing tech.

    The blockchain bottleneck appears to be causing a lot of scaling problem for widescale implementation and is very costly and slow for the time being. (Or as far as I've read.)

    However, the bitcoin's lightning network and ethereum's raiden network do look to be very interesting...if successfully implemented. (Though a bit similar in concept.)

    But we'll still have to see how it goes when they're working on the mainnet.

    So long story short,

    If your in it for speculation/investment/money making.

    Don't.

    You might burn a hole in your wallet.

    If your in it for the tech, then its interesting to keep up to date with it...as well as holding some cryptocoins and using the wallets and whatnots.



    @gwit, FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. (A simple google would do wonders. XD)

    On another note, tether's circulating supply just grew to 1,368,089,837 USDT. And being pretty opaque about their accounts, doesn't bode well in my opinion.

    And mind you, that's a 200 million increase in supply....in a mere 9 days since my last post?
    Last edited by sawachika; 12-30-2017 at 06:31.

  4. #84
    Alpha
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Louis
    Society
    Obsidian
    Posts
    509
    Images
    22
    If someone wants to offer their best advice for which crypto to go into, they should post when they got it, how they got it, and why. Nothing else matters.

  5. #85
    Stalker Fifth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Avatar
    The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    The Ministry
    Posts
    2,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Aio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My thoughts are you should take this course: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q64-phy and then come back and tell me how we're going to mine asteroids. If you do it in the recommended timescale, you'll have an undergrad degree just in time to see those first mining ships leave earth
    OK, I tried that and it took me -5 years. Google "how to mine asteroids" and you get this:

    The Asteroid Capture and Return mission — the central focus of the KISS study — blueprints the technological know-how to moving an asteroid weighing about 1.1 million-pound (500,000 kilograms) to a high lunar orbit by the year 2025. The mission's cost is expected to be $2.6 billion.Apr 24, 2012
    Looks like you got the required timescale about right but forgot the minus sign?

  6. #86
    Elite Aio's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Location
    Under Your Bed.
    Avatar
    Aio Dakina
    Society
    Veterans
    Posts
    3,835
    Images
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, I tried that and it took me -5 years. Google "how to mine asteroids" and you get this:


    Looks like you got the required timescale about right but forgot the minus sign?
    Firstly, it took me 30s to read the conclusion which said that it would be feasible to capture (i.e. not mine) an asteroid. But disregarding this distinction, they were looking at rocks 7m in diameter (which is miniscule) and the flight time to bring them to orbit was 6 to 10 years. Additionally, there would have to be a program setup to find the asteroids and filtered by size, there are very few which even come close to the intended size range.

    Let's just not even go to the difficulties in transporting mass from space to earth.

    This is the problem with the internet - anyone can Google anything and pretend they're a motherfucking expert.

  7. #87
    Stalker Fifth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Avatar
    The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    The Ministry
    Posts
    2,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Aio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, it took me 30s to read the conclusion which said that it would be feasible to capture (i.e. not mine) an asteroid. But disregarding this distinction, they were looking at rocks 7m in diameter (which is miniscule) and the flight time to bring them to orbit was 6 to 10 years. Additionally, there would have to be a program setup to find the asteroids and filtered by size, there are very few which even come close to the intended size range.

    Let's just not even go to the difficulties in transporting mass from space to earth.

    This is the problem with the internet - anyone can Google anything and pretend they're a motherfucking expert.
    If you keep thinking inside oudated paradigms, your first impulse is to bring it down.
    However if you think it over, that would be a terrible waste.
    It costs 15-20 grand to lift 1kg of material to low Earth orbit. Any material lifted up there is worth significantly more than down on the Earth's surface.

    I'm no motherfucking expert but somehow I keep beating you hands down on every turn...

  8. #88
    Elite Haruto Rat's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Avatar
    Cunning Haruto Rat
    Society
    fode et fuge
    Posts
    3,290
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It costs 15-20 grand to lift 1kg of material to low Earth orbit. Any material lifted up there is worth significantly more than down on the Earth's surface.
    It costs about 4180 J/(kg*K) to heat beer, therefore a warm beer is worth significantly more than cold one.
    There are many ways to skin a cat but just one way to boil a frog.

  9. #89
    Guardian Stefan 008 Bond's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Avatar
    Stefan 008 Bond
    Society
    Mod Merps
    Posts
    265
    Images
    45
    Presumably, Aio, you are taking the asteroid comments too literally as far as timescale. I only meant to outline the future, it will happen eventually (and its starting now)..even if many of us will be long gone doesn't change that likely fact. There will be new stores of wealth needed in the future when precious metals become more common.

  10. #90
    Stalker Fifth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Avatar
    The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    The Ministry
    Posts
    2,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruto Rat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It costs about 4180 J/(kg*K) to heat beer, therefore a warm beer is worth significantly more than cold one.
    Heating up a perfectly cold beer is a crime against humanity!

    OK, I get your point, all the raw materials in orbit right now are worthless as we don't have any production capabilities up there. Yet, those capabilities will be there in the near future. SpaceX has already significantly lowered the price of going up to orbit and once this process has started it will keep bringing the price down even more. This is a major game changer. In a world where lift up from the gravity well costs the same as the airplane ticket to Sydney... the orbital factories, lunar base and plans to colonize Mars are not only possible, it's pretty much unavoidable.

    It doesn't mean we can't drop materials to the surface, the tech to do that already exists and the cost per kg is negligible. In other words, it will be even cheaper to cool down a hot beer than warm it up.

    Yes, it won't happen next year or year after that. Then again, it's not in the distant unspecified future either. Meanwhile, people are still considering precious metals a good long term investment...

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Planet Calypso on Twitter  Follow Planet Calypso on Facebook