PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources

View Poll Results: How much will you pay your ISP to access EU before deciding to quit this game?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0.00

16 80.00%
  • $2.00

0 0%
  • $3.00

1 5.00%
  • $4.00

0 0%
  • $5.00

0 0%
  • $10.00

0 0%
  • $15.00

0 0%
  • $20.00

0 0%
  • $25.00

3 15.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    tAS->Entropia Asia Cadets->Entropia Asia->Zoku->NBK->NBK Entrepreneur->Kaos->the Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Time to dig out the ol free to air sattelite receiver if they start charging too much

Stalker
    Neil Greenleaf Stockton
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are also a lot of assumptions that ISPs will block access to certain apps and services, such as Netflix or Hulu, while only providing there "preferred" option (ie: block Netflix and only allow Hulu). I don't see this being the case. Again, looking at recent changes to cellular providers: T-Mobile now offers free data access to Netflix while still having users spend data for other services like Hulu.
    That's not exactly how it works. T-mobile allows customers to opt for unlimited streaming of selected websites but the video is forced into low quality, I think 480p. Since customers can opt in or out at any time, the FCC allowed this, unlike other providers' proposals, which did not give customers the same ability to choose. Anyway, those who are hoping the providers will offer internet without certain services for cheaper are dreaming. These are the companies which raise the customer's bill by tacking on random meaningless charges every few months... they keep notes on you and if you don't call the retention department at least 3 times every month threatening to take your business elsewhere, they keep adding fake charges. And they seem to double the charges if the customer is over 65. This is their business model, I kid you not. I currently have monthly charges for 2 modem leases that I cannot get removed, despite explaining to customer service that I only have 1 modem and I OWN IT! This year I had a co-worker who allowed their provider to slowly raise the charge from about $50 all the way up to $170 over the course of a year, for what couldn't have been more than 10 mb/s internet... because they were not technically savvy and did not want to go back to their previous provider because they had left that one after being similarly treated. They were eventually conned into getting satellite from the same company, because it would be "cheaper" but the rep forgot to mention that expensive service calls would be required every few weeks until they "got it right". And this is not even rural America. Maybe they'll completely change their predatory business model... just maybe.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Stefan 008 Bond
    Society
    Mod Merps
    Images
    I don't really think too many people are taking the doomsday rhetoric angle, and I apologize if I came off that way...

I do feel a lot of people are uneasy with this seemingly unnecessary and unasked for change...

Rave, you mention free market... this is the exact opposite of that... also you mention the cell industry, sure its much better now but for how long was the population price gouged?.... similar thing happened with long distance phone call rates earlier than that... and stock brokers and and....

We are now in a situation where we can only "hope" all these huge companies play fair ... I think we all know how that usually plays out.

The current administration has a detest for all regulations. Regulations are rules generally designed to protect industry competitiveness, the environment and human rights. Regulations are put in place for reasons.

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Aio Dakina
    Society
    Veterans
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've lived in several cities across different regions in the US over the last few years, and I've always had multiple options for ISPs. Granted, more rural areas will suffer from this just as they do with cell service. But most large population centers have several options (I believe there are 3 in my current area).

This whole doomsday view of the repeal is such an overblown rhetoric. Free market competition will force service providers to maintain fair packages and pricing, just like with cell services. Even 5 years ago, there were really only three cellular options that were worth using (ATT, Sprint, Verizon) and they were still expensive and capped data. Now you've got a dozen options which have forced the big providers to offer bundles and lower prices while also offering uncapped data.

Obviously, cellular and internet service providers aren't going to operate the exact same way - but forced transparency on cellular providers yielded positive results for consumers. The FTC will do the same with ISPs, forcing transparency on all services.

There are also a lot of assumptions that ISPs will block access to certain apps and services, such as Netflix or Hulu, while only providing there "preferred" option (ie: block Netflix and only allow Hulu). I don't see this being the case. Again, looking at recent changes to cellular providers: T-Mobile now offers free data access to Netflix while still having users spend data for other services like Hulu. If anything, we will see competition among ISPs providing bonuses to consumers as opposed to punishing them with certain applications.

I could be wrong, and I'm obviously drawing conclusions from another similar sector. But I do think the anti-repeal rhetoric is more of a political ploy and media frenzy than it is realistic. We will see.
    Oh hello customer, it looks like you're trying to view news related websites! Well, we can offer you CNN for 5$ or FOX NEWS for 5$! Oh, you don't want to access these "unbiased" "reputable" "news" sources? Well we do offer access to Reuters for 1000$...

Cunning Haruto Rat
    Society
    fode et fuge
    Images
    There are many ways to skin a cat but just one way to boil a frog.

Darcy Aeris Wood : was Darcy Aeris is Back Wood
    Society
    It burns when I PVP
    Images
    MMO games use fuck all for bandwidth, one day it may happen but they will take a chunk out of services like YouTube, HBO, Netflix, Amazon Video, Music streaming services, and Torrent traffic.

Most ISP's also provide TV, Movies, and Music, They have lost a great deal of revenue from peoples adoption of online Streaming services and piracy, now they want that back.

For now I think Gamers in the US are okay.

Naomi
    Society
    NotBeforeSocietyOverhaul
    Images
    Sounds like incoming censorship.

Some old Nazi/Gestapo ppl would be proud on what the US (among others) is achieving!

old post, I see it now, it's still valid today :p

No Livestream at the moment:
    Click to go to the twitch.tv/openair247 Livestream

I think net neutrality is worldwide norm and was voted with majority in last few years in countries like USA, Europe or India and ISP charging money to access small websites and giving highway to companies like Yahoo is not going to happen anytime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2