PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn-Inc
    Images

How I Fixed the Lag

I noticed that most or all of the people experiencing The Lag (the specific type of lag we've had for a few months) were further away from the servers. Since I can't move to the Netherlands (I think that's where the servers are located) I thought maybe I could pretend to be close and that might help.

So, in short:

1. I subscribed to a paid VPN service.

2. I connected to a server in the Netherlands.

3. I logged into EU.

Result: No lag! No lag at all!

No lag every 30 seconds or so for 3-5 seconds where nothing happens. No tool/weapon switching lag. No spawning way above the ground when entering a MM instance. No auction lag!
    It was glorious!

I've tested it for about 6 hours in MM FFA instances, no lag ever, no stutter (up to 93 attacks/minute weapon), no disconnects. My in game ping didn't really change. I can't guarantee it will work as well for everyone or solve all issues but it definitely works for me.

The Details:

After some research I decided to try IPVanish VPN service. It costs $10 per month, or 25% off ($7.50) if you go to https://www.cnet.com/best-vpn-services-directory/ and click on the IPVanish link (it's the first review), then on the IPVanish page click on the c|net 25% off banner near the top. They have a 7-day money-back guarantee. They even take Bitcoin (don't know if refund is possible with that). If you decide to try this method I don't know if other VPN services would work as well, I've only used this one. I do know that the free VPN services are always crap. Don't try it with a free service and come back here and say it doesn't work please.

Once you download the software, install and run and you will see this:

Don't use Quick Connect. On the left select the Server List tab as shown, then select Netherlands. That's it, log in.

If you try it please post your results here in this thread.

-----

If some from MA reads this, this should be a big clue for fixing the problem.

(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated at all with c|net or IPVanish, just trying to help.)
    Xen Shop ☯ Easter, Halloween, Summer, Robot Strongboxes | Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Dune Rider Helmet (M) | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Merry Mayhem 14 Gloves (M)

Alpha
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Images
    Try sweden when not in instance, you get better loot

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Norian Norian Xx
    Society
    Guess Who??

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Mannanan Mac y Lir
    Blog Entries
    Images
    good job testing this.

{DELETED}
    Last edited by 711; 12-19-2017 at 14:46. Reason: Rule 2.7 - Profanity
    > For Sale: Stuff <

Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn-Inc
    Images
    I got a PM that said just reconnect until lag is gone and you can play lag free. This was suggested before and I've tried this many times and I've never been able to be lag free, no matter where I log in, in fact it doesn't help me at all, the lag is always there. Using a VPN is the only thing that has helped me.
    Xen Shop ☯ Easter, Halloween, Summer, Robot Strongboxes | Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Dune Rider Helmet (M) | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Merry Mayhem 14 Gloves (M)

Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn-Inc
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred5283 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just changing packet routing, which I will feel free to do if it fixes the problem that they haven't for months.

Elite
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    dasouth Genious dasouth
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I got a PM that said just reconnect until lag is gone and you can play lag free. This was suggested before and I've tried this many times and I've never been able to be lag free, no matter where I log in, in fact it doesn't help me at all, the lag is always there. Using a VPN is the only thing that has helped me.
    I send you that msg & to be clear, it takes me like 5 relogs ~ to get there..
    I do have an old laptop to play on so I don't try this every time... I just want to log in & play.

PS, If it helps, I log in from Belgium true telenet via cable

Edit : from what I saw, I either am lag free, or it's totla shit (lag every 2 minutes, if it lasts that long)

Chaotic Good
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    MegaVolt
    Society
    Kaos
    Blog Entries
    Images

Some things Mindark have no control over.

Dominant
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Boo Who You
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    The VPN kinda scares me in the event that MA does block an account for using it.

Sad that it's a potential fix action...but your faced with the question of if it's worth getting potential banned over?

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Aio Dakina
    Society
    Veterans
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Who You View Post
    The VPN kinda scares me in the event that MA does block an account for using it.

Sad that it's a potential fix action...but your faced with the question of if it's worth getting potential banned over?
    For all thinking about this; your best route is to notify support that you will be using a VPN. If you have a static VPN server, you can notify them of the IP (or IP range) to expect on your account.

I've used these guys for years (https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn) without issue. FYI - I still get lag while using the VPN, but it may help someone else.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast