Realism at what cost.

All I know is that when I first started late 2007 there was no lag for me until MA changed the hosting and introduced the CRY engine.

Better to have a universe which is open for everyone including the casual player, than a super realistic one for a few people with high end computers imo.

Casual players and "gamers" have very different styles and I think we need a balance of the two in the universe.

They can bring this back any time..

Realism Shmealism, give me the old campy cartoon graphics any day!

PS, I hate night cycles.

This was the game iloved. :wtg::wtg::wtg::yay::yay::yay:

They can bring this back any time..

Realism Shmealism, give me the old campy cartoon graphics any day!

PS, I hate night cycles.

That was a fun game to play. Can't they bring that one back? :/

Lag for years now, afaik it's linked to my isp and/or mindark servers.

Well it's either poorly optimized code, too many polygons in the graphics, the EU database is not so damned big it's having problems coping with it.

I found this a moment ago from 2012 that discusses the DB issue.

Lag Sucks! Making Online Gaming Faster with NoSQL

Or they're using the same servers to run multiple assets / projects and they're lagging out either due to lack of memory, storage speed / capacity or the other tasks are causing EU's processes to stall.

I played Far Cry one and two and never had any problem. By your question, does that mean you are not having any lag issues ?

No lag for me here in Canada, maybe lag hates snow too???
Anyways EU gave me lag back in 2014 but I kept using those settings on new PC since 2015...
Client loader settings:
- disabled streaming audio
- set my connection speed lower then my max (test w/ speednet) ie. if 8Mbps then choose 4Mbps or lower.
- oddly found Download thread count of 10 performed better then 12 for me back in 2014
- Tab - Planet Data I've uncheck the planets/areas I won't visit any time soon.

I also turned off QoS in my router back then which seemed to help EU limp along faster. Normally I would've made QoS exception rule but was doing a lot of testing back then and QoS didn't make much difference for other applications for me so I've left it off ever since.

Yes I should probably retest it all, but I found it to be such a hassle with EU back then. And nothing else gives me lag even unoptimized sd/alpha/beta games, nor old or new games.
I recall my tracert/traceroute back in 2014 showed only a slight bottleneck from a backbone (tier 1 isp) somewhere between Sweden and I. But not enough to unsafely use a vpn tunnel to proxy the data packets around it.

If after all that your still having same amount of lag then maybe look into your ISP for doing throttling/rate limiting or other "QoS measures"??

Back