Entropia Universe wants you to be able to upload your consciousness into its MMO world - PCGamesN

News Bot

Guardian

[SIZE=-2]PCGamesN[/SIZE]

Entropia Universe wants you to be able to upload your consciousness into its MMO world
[SIZE=-1]PCGamesN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Swedish developer MindArk, creators of the long-running MMO Entropia Universe, have begun working with AI researchers from several universities on a process for uploading human consciousness to their game. MindArk are working with researchers from ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=d6uJSyOHr54u-yM&authuser=0&ned=us[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian boudreau, that top notch quality journalist. Excellent article! Applause.

Well done, EU on expanding science projects.

But, don't forget that the consciousness of EU only exist because of EU players are contributing.

EU = RCE.
Please don't forget and continue to make RCE great and more exciting again.

We would need to build a wall separating Boreas from the rest of Eudoria

and we will make them pay for it

Well, that's why I said, the management team cannot be run by simple minded people. They need to work hard and stay professional all-time.

Good reputation is important. Reputation will make you paid for everything :silly2:

OK, that's gonna be a wall of text... Sry. :smoke:

As of now, there's no scientific concept of what the consciousness is. We have a fuzzy idea about combinations of neurons firing in large networks... and then consciousness as some sort of emergent phenomenon on top of this electro-chemical process... but so far nobody has managed to replicate the phenomenon. We have more than enough computational power to do that but we don't have a slightest idea how. Therefore we can't even estimate how far or how close we are to cracking this riddle. Maybe somebody will stumble upon it tomorrow, or maybe we will never achieve this.

We just don't know.

To make things even worse, what we do know is the fact that large part of the information processing in the human brain happens on the unconscious level, both inside and outside the brain.

Outside brain!? Yep, you read it right. There's lot's of extremely important functions, for example intuition/creativity that rely largely on your moods/emotions, which in turn are largely regulated by biochemical substances produced by the glands located in different places all over our physical body. For example, successful completion of an important task is a bit of information that is stored chemically. It is very old system, and has been vitally important in the evolution for our distant forefathers in the primitive animal kingdom. There's a record of positions in the hierarchy of the "tribe". To avoid unnecessary fights every member of this collective/tribe stores it's position in the hierarchy. The memory storage unit for this position is chemical, it's stored in the form of pheromonal balance.

We don't know how exactly it would change the behavior of the human beings (or if the consciousness would even function) if we cut off all the hormonal regulation systems in the body and walk away with only the "purer brain".
We do know that such a brain would challenge another member of the collective to the fight to determine it's position on the hierarchy every time it meets them. It has no previous record about the relative position with that specimen, so it assumes it's their first encounter and the positions are yet to be determined... and it keeps doing that every time, until it dies or is damaged beyond it's capability to fight.

The systems regulating behavior related to reproduction is even more ancient, thus also heavily reliant on pheromones. The glands responsible for the whole system are all located outside our brain. We don't know enough about the science of this, but it's pretty safe to assume that a human being that is 100% cut off from the body will have no feeling of burning love. He/she might have an intellectual concept of "sympathy", but can it understand what "Romeo and Julia" is all about? Forget about it.

So this upload thing, you know what's the problem with it? Two words. Childish. Stupid.

As a side note: Christianity has always believed to resurrect a person you have to physically reconstruct the whole body. Why's that, one would wonder? Wouldn't it be easier to imagine just a some kind of ethereal spirit?
I mean if it's all just made up stories, why choose the most unlikely option, ghost stories have been known and more or less widely accepted for thousands of years. In a sense, the consciousness transfer is just a modern, upgraded version of the traditional ghost story.

Science, weirdly enough, seems to discard the ghost stories and prefer the Christianity's version.

I especially laugh at this article, a good part of the% of the community has more or less 10 years of seniority. seeing that MA wants us to transfer our money on their account why not their data our money after our death and your "conscience" so that the money remains on the account as it is immortal :laugh:

They'll have to at least fix the "falling through the ground" bug first. I do not want my consciousness to experience that :mad:

Ghosts have no use or need for PEDs.
Yes.
Your first line of thought would probably be something like--no but without peds there's nothing to do and you might even risk getting booted off the system eventually.

Then again, would you even care, as a ghost? All our motivational systems are biochemical. Without a body you'd have none of this left.

For a normal earthbound homo sapiens, success generates release of neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin which generate positive feelings (joy, fulfillment). Failure is accompanied with the release of different neurotransmitters that move you towards anxiety and depression.
That's how our body generates motivation, ensures that an organism tries to survive and strive towards goals that help to improve it's life. There is no motivational system in pure rationality. You can easily figure out what helps you to survive but why survival is better than death, there's no purely logical answer.
Body-less ghost would most likely keep going for a while by the sheer habit and inertia... but eventually it would reach the conclusion that it all really doesn't matter.

No PEDs? So what...
The might boot me off and kill me? So what... Do I look like I care? :p

It's no joy being a ghost. Literally. :yup:

To be fair, there's some utility in preserving the pure consciousness (assuming this is technically possible). You can look at it as means to an end. If there's a hope someday your body can be reconstructed too, it might be worth the effort to try to survive the hard times in the ghost form to achieve the full life once again in the future.

We don't know to what degree the pheromonal glands, neurotransmitters all this biochemical apparatus differs from person to person. Seems to me it can differ quite a lot, and in many very important ways. This may form the very foundation to what we perceive as our personality, that what makes us us.
If your body, and the info about it's exact characteristics is lost, you'll be provided with a "standard body". You might lose your personality as a result. Which means you'd effectively start a new life. In a very deep sense it wouldn't be you who resumes his/her life in a new body.

Then again, you'll be free to choose between XX/XY chromosome based setups... and for some people this option alone might be literally the dream of their life come true.

As of now, there's no scientific concept of what the consciousness is. We have a fuzzy idea about combinations of neurons firing in large networks... and then consciousness as some sort of emergent phenomenon on top of this electro-chemical process... but so far nobody has managed to replicate the phenomenon. We have more than enough computational power to do that but we don't have a slightest idea how. Therefore we can't even estimate how far or how close we are to cracking this riddle. Maybe somebody will stumble upon it tomorrow, or maybe we will never achieve this.

Even if they manage to have real neuronal processing there is a lot more things, that have to be considered.

A human body has several different senses, which all provide billions of byte of informations each millisecond, that are processed by our neuronal brain and stored somehow.

So if you have a neuronal prozessing computer, it still will lack (missing) all the information that our senses deliver to our brain, which makes a main part of our experience in livetime.

Even if we manage to store all our memories into this neuronal PC, this "ghost" will be unable to gather sensual information, due to missing body.

Another thing to consider is, that even if you create a mirror of all your memory/experience, it is just a mirror - NOT YOU.

What you could a achieve is generating a blatant ghost mirror of yourself, that may act, talk and think like you, but never can be you, nor it could further develop due to missing sensual informations. Only source for information of this ghost would be sozial interactions (comunication).

Your body (you) will die sooner or later, so your real personallity/soul is lost (maybe reborn, whatever is your religion), but it will never be in this coded mirror ghost inside this neuronal computer.

Sorry, no imortality in sight, altough that mirror ghost of yours might be imortal as long as EU lasts :)

MindArk, creators of the long-running MMO Entropia Universe, have begun working with AI researchers from several universities on a process for uploading human consciousness to their game.

And I thought MA couldn't beat their failure of buying a castle and painting it pink.

Congratulations MA, you've outdone yourselves on wasting cash!

If the result of this endeavor is some intellectual property and some patents that MindArk can then get royalties on, then fine, who am I to say it's not a worthwhile effort. But if your goal is really to be able to 'upload' consciousness then it's a waste of time and money, don't even bother.

I liked this show alot....

Pretty much the same exact principle...just replace Mindark instead of Delos Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)

Cant wait to take over the valley of the beyond.

If curious as to why a company would want to do something like this, watch the show... pretty sinister stuff.

I liked this show alot....

Pretty much the same exact principle...just replace Mindark instead of Delos Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)

Cant wait to take over the valley of the beyond.

If curious as to why a company would want to do something like this, watch the show... pretty sinister stuff.
Yeah. Altered Carbon is another one. Except all this is at least half a century, maybe a few centuries away. Hopefully it's just a PR trick for MA. Hopefully they don't really waste any money in a foolish quest to actually develop the tech... because buying castles throwing money around for the foolish causes isn't exactly the best strategy to make sure your company will still be around when we finally make it.

If we ever make it, that is. Human brain is by far the most complex system in the known Universe. How close are we to figuring out the biggest mysteries of everything? Like, literally? Mind you, that's pretty much the same thing as to be the ultimate masters of this Universe.
Reality check: we still haven't got any idea what 90% of the stuff in this Universe is even made of...

They say it doesn't hurt to dream... as long as you don't get foolishly cocky. :cool:

Last edited:
wtf is this shit

Well, what about Virtual Graveyards? (Serious, like for Island Girl, people already pay for such things)

Implement that and I might think about "Uploading AI"...

Well, what about Virtual Graveyards? ...

There is definitely so much more that could be done with Memorial Island.

Yes.
Your first line of thought would probably be something like--no but without peds there's nothing to do and you might even risk getting booted off the system eventually.

Then again, would you even care, as a ghost? All our motivational systems are biochemical. Without a body you'd have none of this left.

For a normal earthbound homo sapiens, success generates release of neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin which generate positive feelings (joy, fulfillment). Failure is accompanied with the release of different neurotransmitters that move you towards anxiety and depression.
That's how our body generates motivation, ensures that an organism tries to survive and strive towards goals that help to improve it's life. There is no motivational system in pure rationality. You can easily figure out what helps you to survive but why survival is better than death, there's no purely logical answer.
Body-less ghost would most likely keep going for a while by the sheer habit and inertia... but eventually it would reach the conclusion that it all really doesn't matter.

No PEDs? So what...
The might boot me off and kill me? So what... Do I look like I care? :p

It's no joy being a ghost. Literally. :yup:

To be fair, there's some utility in preserving the pure consciousness (assuming this is technically possible). You can look at it as means to an end. If there's a hope someday your body can be reconstructed too, it might be worth the effort to try to survive the hard times in the ghost form to achieve the full life once again in the future.

We don't know to what degree the pheromonal glands, neurotransmitters all this biochemical apparatus differs from person to person. Seems to me it can differ quite a lot, and in many very important ways. This may form the very foundation to what we perceive as our personality, that what makes us us.
If your body, and the info about it's exact characteristics is lost, you'll be provided with a "standard body". You might lose your personality as a result. Which means you'd effectively start a new life. In a very deep sense it wouldn't be you who resumes his/her life in a new body.

Then again, you'll be free to choose between XX/XY chromosome based setups... and for some people this option alone might be literally the dream of their life come true.

You cant compare mechanoid with humanoid, neither should the two be combined more or deeper than wearables. There are some lines that should never be crossed. yet this will happen though and will turn out bad. Unfortunatelly. You see, the irresponsible part , is negating the evil-spirit factor. They prefer the flesh for indulgences though, but. And theres the 'but", the assumption that mechanoid is impervious to these uncontrolable forces? Its not a matter of not knowing what these fools are dealing with, underestimating it with extreme dire consiquences. Its the wrong road to immortallity and leads only to eternal despair. there is a road though, only one way. And this, aint it man.

Last edited:
CONNECT THE DOTS!!!

"You have NOT been given a Spirit of fear, but of Power, Love and of Sound Mind."

The organic Brain, is in fact a "Ghost-Machine". prone to Highjacking and no passanger limit. But this "machine" alone is NOT solelly the exclusive means or object prone to "highjacking' by invizible "forces". Naguahl sorcerers also know the facts and may refer to it as "manitou".

Just a request to admin. ( Considdering the direction this thread may go and/or subject matter.)

The intent is not malice or insult, but open intelligent discussion and sober minded thinking. All angles , scenarios, etc, to be presented on a subject matter. Is it wise to stifle intelligent discussion with cencorship and strong bias, even though the political or escoteric, may be quite rellevent, to the subjectmatter? Please considder it in spirit of tollerance and putting it all on the table to avoid negating important angles on this subject.

I did these posts as a impartial poster, only putting on the table and will not discuss , defend or atatck it, as what i had posted, is quite self-explanatory. If okay, others may post their views, which I will NOT challenge.

Thanks.

Last edited:

[SIZE=-2]PCGamesN[/SIZE]

Entropia Universe wants you to be able to upload your consciousness into its MMO world
[SIZE=-1]PCGamesN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Swedish developer MindArk, creators of the long-running MMO Entropia Universe, have begun working with AI researchers from several universities on a process for uploading human consciousness to their game. MindArk are working with researchers from ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=d6uJSyOHr54u-yM&authuser=0&ned=us[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

but if everyone is uploaded on the game whos gonna put the money in?:scratch2:

What about AI going rogue and taking over the world (also known as "Kurzweil's Singularity theory"), I'm not worried about that.
Why? Simply put, because it's based on faulty premises.

Let me explain with an example. People tend to think mathematics is like thinking. And vice versa, thinking is like mathematics. But it's not true, the only time when we really think is when we transform the real world items and events into mathematical variables and decide which mathematical formula would express the situation best.
From then on, the process is purely mechanical. Even a relatively simple computational machine can run the algorithm. This is the math part, but it's not thinking.
And, we use the human intelligence once again when we take the result of the calculations and interpret them back into the terms of the real world.

Can't we write an algorithm that will do the interpretation part also? Well, yes and no. We can ofc write algorithms for anything. So in that sense the answer seems to be yes... Trouble is, the world is unpredictable. This means we should write instructions for the situations nobody can foresee. Which is, obviously, impossible.

OK, but can't a really smart machine handle the new unforeseen situation on it's own? Again, yes and no. We can use all sorts of clever tricks to push machines a little bit further. We can make them able to look at the situation, create a model for it by combining the already known situations, look at the solutions for the known situations and then create a combination from those. This way we can make a machine that can come up with a pretty good estimate for the solution, most of the time... and fail miserably at other times.

Because machines can't think. And they never will be.

The real genius of human thinking is when you exit the system, when you think "out of the box", when you create a glitch in the system. Human intuition, the human ingeniousness, the human thinking at it's best is actually an error (if judged according to the strict rules of the current system). Einstein says space can bend and time can stop. From the viewpoint of the Newtonian physics, this is nonsense, this is pure madness. Faulty processor detected, replace with a new one, fix the error.
Which is true, whenever glitch like this appear s in a machine, it is an error, nothing more.

So, I'm not worried about runaway super-AI. But, you don't need a superhuman intelligence to create a chaos in the world. You can control the whole mankind with a swarm of specialized AI systems specifically designed for information management/censorship. Communists in the Soviet Union knew this perfectly well. They called it propaganda. They tried to develop this tech into full blown mind control but they didn't have the right tools. Those tools are developed as we speak. We don't know when they will come online, who will control them or what the world will look like.

We'll see, I suppose, we'll think of something. Because, machines are fast, but dumb. Always were, always will be.

I'd settle to be able to upload animation to screens again.

I'm sure that this upload consciousness brouhaha has given John Jacobs a hard-on.

I'd settle to be able to upload animation to screens again.

I'm sure that this upload consciousness brouhaha has given John Jacobs a hard-on.

Reminds me of some primitive tribes who believe taking a photo , captures the persons soul. If you retain the vast knowledge of "sorceries" and escoteric knowledge. it kinda does make sense, actually. :laugh:

As for ND, hes married to a Nubian Goddess with a beastlly lebido. I doubt the old man can keep up these days, even when popping perscription Viagra. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reminds me of some primitive tribes who believe taking a photo , captures the persons soul. If you retain the vast knowledge of "sorceries" and escoteric knowledge. it kinda does make sense, actually.

*shrug* I just hate it when major systems of a platform are deprecated at whim.

As for souls, uploaded entities, etc, my greater concern is that even if they could upload a consciousness, I have little doubt that MA would make the damn thing (L).

Back