PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources

View Poll Results: Do visuals matter?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Visuals matter and EU needs serious improvements!

57 34.55%
  • Yes - Visual matter but EU's graphics are perfectly fine as they are.

55 33.33%
  • No - I'd still play this game if it were using the old graphics or even if it was in 2D pixel art

53 32.12%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    James Jambon Zidane
    Society
    Shaolin
    Images

How much do you really care about graphics?

How much are graphics factored in to your reason for playing this game?

MA is all about wanting to update the UI and improve textures...etc but really, how many of us actually care about these improvements? Many of us were playing back when it was Project Entropia and the graphics were very clunky. Arguably I think many wouldn't care if it went back to that style of graphics if the gameplay was improved.

So I'm wondering where do you put graphics on the list of priorities and how much of a factor is/was it for you to start and continue playing Entropia?

1. Would you still play the game if they went back to the old graphics (assuming gameplay was the same as it is now even if not capable in the old engine)? If not, what if gameplay was improved as a trade off to worse graphics?

2. What if EU was no longer even 3D and was a top down 2D style but with decent artwork? Do you think you would have still joined/continue to play?

Personally my #1 reason for joining was based on the notion of being able to make real money. The notion of a 3D environment was just a perk for me. For me, if you took the same gameplay and put it on a completely different visual experience like 2D pixel art I'd still play as much as I do now.
    Last edited by jambon; 10-11-2018 at 15:38.

Watching The End Of The Universe Since 2010...

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Evey Eve Everglades
    Society
    ROUA
    Images
    No matter how little graphics matter to you/me/us, they still have to look great on a market of games. Yes, Entropia is more than a game, so much more, but, in order for players to try it and stick around, they have to look as good as they possibly can, they have to look tempting. I agree they should not put MANY resources into this, because newer engines can not be caught up with, but, they should make some small improvements in the UIs every 3-4 years or so.

Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    Graphics are very important to me.

I like to walk properly dressed and I like my environment to look fine as well.
    Reason to have a decent graphics card to run at high settings as minimum.

Sure, things could always look better, for I think they're already looking fine to me.

2D would be an absolute deal breaker to me.
    Al though Fallout 1 and 2 were some of the greatest games I played, even much better than the fallouot 3+ series, I wouldnt like it here. Since fallout had a great storyline and not a boring grind.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    James Jambon Zidane
    Society
    Shaolin
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Evey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No matter how little graphics matter to you/me/us, they still have to look great on a market of games. Yes, Entropia is more than a game, so much more, but, in order for players to try it and stick around, they have to look as good as they possibly can, they have to look tempting. I agree they should not put MANY resources into this, because newer engines can not be caught up with, but, they should make some small improvements in the UIs every 3-4 years or so.
    Agreed but how graphics look is subjective to each player. Some people can't live with anything less detailed than the latest Battlefield/Call of duty. Others are happy with indie pixel art style such as Nidhogg. Or as a mid way point look at a game like Terraria - that's pixel art, has sold millions of copies and has way more active users than Entropia. (let's not even mention Minecraft lol) I think there is a larger debate with this too as to how much gameplay can trump graphics as a means to entice people to play.
    Last edited by jambon; 10-11-2018 at 15:50.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    George Ace Skywalker
    Society
    Guess Who
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd rather prefer they spent some resources on new content e.g. space update, hangars, land plots, voting/political system

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Rickard Rick England
    Society
    Jurai Blood
    Images
    I've always viewed MA as hippy artists rather than game developers, the graphics will always come first. How those graphics interact has always been secondary, and game play comes third.

People will not accept low resolution graphics in this decade, expectations have moved on. It's easy to look back with fondess at the past. The reality is once you've driven a car, you're unlikely to want to swap it for bicycle (even though you'll have fond memories of riding a bike as a kid).

For the pets I really like the quality of them, I probably wouldn't train them if they looked awlful. Sure they don't do much, but that's explained in the first sentence above.

The 'project' as it was once called, was always about keeping those artists virtual world alive, and I view content as a way of funding the art to continue. God likes his world to look beautiful, what else can I say...smiles.

Rick
    Izgood (JB) "EU enhances my split personality"
    MA can pay you if they want too.
    Do not confuse kindness with weakness.
    Chance favours the prepared mind.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    tAS->Entropia Asia Cadets->Entropia Asia->Zoku->NBK->NBK Entrepreneur->Kaos->the Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In some ways pre ce2 was better since it at least allowed bink videos as pc....

As for pets... run animation on boxer is horrible

Stalker
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Stoica Alina Alina
    Society
    freeeeee
    Images
    not much as long it doesn't look like minecraft/runescape lol

Angel O2 Mercer
    Society
    Rangers
    Images
    I voted option 1 because "a metric fuck-ton of optimization" counts as improvements in my book.

Righ now, in this very moment, there are quite a few alternatives with:
    a) Equal or better graphics
    b) Much much better performance

And some of those are even free (no royalties or fees at all) !!

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    James Jambon Zidane
    Society
    Shaolin
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel O2 Mercer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted option 1 because "a metric fuck-ton of optimization" counts as improvements in my book.

Righ now, in this very moment, there are quite a few alternatives with:
    a) Equal or better graphics
    b) Much much better performance

And some of those are even free (no royalties or fees at all) !!
    Do these alternatives have a RCE?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast