PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Old
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Luna blackchip Tick
    Society
    Freelancer
    Pve Raids and categorized/instanced pvp would make this game much more attractive imo.
    Take a page out of the WoW playbook, they obviously know wtf they are doing over there. Just put an entropia twist on it. E.g - 2 teams each player pays 5 ped into the pot, MA takes their cut, then distributes the loot to the winners and losers accordingly (game objectives,dmg,heals,kills, margin of victory etc.) Think more like a poker table, less like a slot machine.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Gloria GoNi Nicestyle
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijacker27 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are just never run because they are a huge waste of PED as you're guaranteed to lose a ton long run.
    Thats caused by moving the former beacon exclusive loots to comon big robots outside of beacons.

I remember times when beacons was the "only" source of different robot loots like flare filters and a few other robot loots needed for crafting.

That times beacons have had a value and have been a money maker not a PED waste.

Well it still was possible to lose if you paid to much for the beacon itself.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Medb Lefty Lucy
    Society
    Calypso Rescue Team
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Legends View Post
    Raid (from Wikipedia):

We occasionally have the player-vs-player component in Entropia in the form of Land Grabs. We have the powerful boss component in the form of big mobs which are impossible for the average hunter to solo, e.g. King Kong, Old Fred, Hussk, higher maturity Eomons, etc... But we don't really have this type of PvE in Entropia (again from Wikipedia):

All of the MMOs that are currently occupying the top 10 in terms of number of active players do have them:
    1. World of Warcraft has 'Ashran' (PvP) and 'Raids' (PvE)
    2. Guild Wars 2 also has 'Raids'
    3. The Elder Scrolls Online has 'Trials'
    4. Final Fantasy XIV has 'Dungeons'
    5. The Lord of the Rings Online has 'World Instances' and 'Raids'
    6. RuneScape has 'Mazcab Raids'
    7. Black Desert Online has 'Node wars' (PvP) and 'World bosses' (PvE)
    8. EVE Online has 'Incursions'
    9. TERA has 'Harrowhold'
    10. Maple Story has 'Dungeons'

Group PvE (Raids) could do so much for Entropia and I think it would really be worth taking a long hard look at this, despite the challenges involved with creating them within the current engine. If this was done properly, they could:

1. Help to revitalize Team and Society hunting and skilling. This is practically dead right now, most players would just rather hunt solo. Even Shared loot spawns aren't that popular in Entropia. By creating group PvE content that can only be completed by a Team of players, it would encourage more collaboration among players, and give Societies something to organize for.

2. Help to solve automated (botting) skilling and gameplay issues. Bots for sweating and skilling are actually pretty common in Entropia because it's very simple to automate using key-mapping and scripts. Hunters that are at the top of their profession need to continually skill up their avatar or else others will pass them so some turn to botting to solve that problem, which means that it can be incredibly difficult (impossible even) for new players to catch up to these guys, even when hunting every day for many hours. Group PvE raids on the other hand are usually too complex to automate due to the need to coordinate activities based on commands from the Leader and collaborate with and react to other players' actions. This would be a great opportunity to reward participants with bonus skills and other things that they can't get anywhere else in the game. In other words, reward real players, not bots.

3. Give players additional professional opportunities in the game. In Entropia, Healers are quite useful and a vibrant part of the hunting profession game play. Healers allow hunters to hunt certain mobs that they might not otherwise be able to hunt. But in Entropia, tanking is practically nonexistent as a specialization. Team buffs are also non-existent. Group PvE raids could open up new opportunities for players to specialize in something and enable them to contribute something to Teams. New items or skills could be introduced which would give Team buffs. Tanking could become an important strategy, not only through the use of a particular set of Armor but also through high Evade/Dodge skills and maybe also the introduction of new effects that cause a mob to aggro them and not other members of the Team.

4. Provide a more permanent PvP element that pits Societies or Teams of players against one-another could be a lot of fun. Land Grabs are quite far and few between it seems and are not really the time for players to hone their PvP combat skills. Some sort of Arena type instance with a cap on dps and/or profession level could afford players the space and opportunity to train and test their PvP strategies.

5. Make Mindforce relevant again. In Entropia, Mindforce is the equivalent of Spell Casting in most other MMOs. By making good use of such chips as Deceleration and Synchronization for example, and introducing new ones, Mindforce professions could be revitalized, which could in turn also benefit the Sweat economy.

These are just some of the things that I think Group PvE could provide to Entropia, at a glance. I'm sure there many other things.

Cheers o/

Legends
    I'm tanky and I approve of this suggestion
    .... just one man's opinion

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Medb Lefty Lucy
    Society
    Calypso Rescue Team
    Images
    I get it. I just didn't see this thread til tonight. Real raids have complexity and demand a well organized approach, nothing like the hp-fests that are Sand King and Kong; and the game that have raids also have mechanics such as classes, specialties, and the holy trinity of roles to support that complexity which in turn supports more fun.

And they demand that degree of collaboration too, nothing like this individualistic score-competition that calls itself multiplayer.

... Structure. Raids have structure. Frameworks on which to build the fun.
    Last edited by Lefty; 03-31-2019 at 07:08.
    .... just one man's opinion

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I get it. I just didn't see this thread til tonight. Real raids have complexity and demand a well organized approach, nothing like the hp-fests that are Sand King and Kong; and the game that have raids also have mechanics such as classes, specialties, and the holy trinity of roles to support that complexity which in turn supports more fun.

And they demand that degree of collaboration too, nothing like this individualistic score-competition that calls itself multiplayer.

... Structure. Raids have structure. Frameworks on which to build the fun.
    That's awesome, finally someone that gets it

One of the things that I find is so true, not sure if you watched the 2005 Blizzcon video I linked earlier, but the game director said:"The game feels a lot bigger for everyone if there is unbeaten content out there."

Well in Entropia, 'unbeaten content' comes mostly in the form of items not yet looted or discovered, for example smuggler armor or plates... This just reinforces the grinding aspect of the game; you must grind (Iron missions) to level up, you must grind to discover a new item, etc... So the game is mostly a grind fest at this point.

I see now that Cyclops Depths is perhaps the best effort to date on MA's part to introduce something to Entropia where players have to do a little more then just grind down mobs and I think that's great:

It's not a Raid, but it's different and it looks like fun, at least the first time through.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Anyone else want to weigh in on this one? If MA introduced some Raids in Entropia, would you try them?

Sandal San Tolk
    Society
    OldTimers
    Images
    These are great ideas. It strikes me as odd though that nobody picks up on one of the most significant changes we had in recent times, the enabling of mission point sharing in team. As much as I've been one who asked for this loudly, as sluggish is the rate it's being taken up afaics. Old troopers I tried to motivate aren't responding, don't know about the 'ung ones if they're building teams now and tackle mighty beasts but there is little evidence in the chatter (I don't observe Rookie though.) Maybe it takes some more palpable excitement before the developers are motivated to build more elaborate missions on top of the new mechanism.
    1. I NEVER post off-topic.
    2. If you disagree, go to 1.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by San View Post
    These are great ideas. It strikes me as odd though that nobody picks up on one of the most significant changes we had in recent times, the enabling of mission point sharing in team. As much as I've been one who asked for this loudly, as sluggish is the rate it's being taken up afaics. Old troopers I tried to motivate aren't responding, don't know about the 'ung ones if they're building teams now and tackle mighty beasts but there is little evidence in the chatter (I don't observe Rookie though.) Maybe it takes some more palpable excitement before the developers are motivated to build more elaborate missions on top of the new mechanism.
    Yes I also saw this (mission point sharing) as a big step forward and have been hopeful ever since that it would lead to many great things in Entropia gameplay, i.e. more team hunting and possibly some Group PvE like I have proposed in this thread.

But there is still a few things that will need to be solved in order for hunters to become truly comfortable with hunting in teams, the biggest hurdle of all being the matter of item drops which cannot be split fairly between hunters, for example an armor piece or weapon... Of course, in a Society, there's usually an arbitrator and democratic process to decide who should get the item and how the others will be compensated, but not everyone is civilized when it comes to these things and just the possibility of getting 'screwed' by the system is enough to turn many away from it.

I think MA will have to solve this one somehow. I'm confident that they can. It might be that shared mobs won't drop single items, only stacks that can be divided fairly among all.

Sandal San Tolk
    Society
    OldTimers
    Images
    But there is still a few things that will need to be solved in order for hunters to become truly comfortable with hunting in teams, the biggest hurdle of all being the matter of item drops which cannot be split fairly between hunters, for example an armor piece or weapon... Of course, in a Society, there's usually an arbitrator and democratic process to decide who should get the item and how the others will be compensated, but not everyone is civilized when it comes to these things and just the possibility of getting 'screwed' by the system is enough to turn many away from it.

I think MA will have to solve this one somehow. I'm confident that they can. It might be that shared mobs won't drop single items, only stacks that can be divided fairly among all.
    There seems to be a wide-spread assumption that distributing the value of a looted item is the only moral choice and hence should be supported or even enforced by the game itself. Well, it is not. The system already distributes as fairly as it can (individual perceptions or actual imperfections and evolution of algorithms aside) and "finders=keepers" is the default. It would be everybody's turn eventually if you did it often enough, even while it is a core characteristic of the game that chances aren't even but a function of how you develop and equip your avatar. If an organised group wishes to decide on a mode of sharing, they are welcome to do so, but exerting pressure on strangers who got lucky in an open-for-all setting to accept such an obligation is not okay. For example, compare the Feffoid pit wave events with the most recent Hussk events and the discussion which ensued there.
    1. I NEVER post off-topic.
    2. If you disagree, go to 1.

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    Anyone else want to weigh in on this one? If MA introduced some Raids in Entropia, would you try them?

Raids/Trials were always one of the more fun aspects of other MMOs for me, so yea... but I don't really see how you could introduce them into a game with zero combat mechanics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast