Suggestion: Skill based area's

mg Joda VVV

Prowler
mg Joda VVV VVV
Hi Guys,

I've been giving skill devaluation some thought and end game content.

What i would like to see as a motivator for people to keep their skills and to skill up to unlock game content i think there need to be goals that can add dimensions to game play where players get to be strategic about their game goals/choices.

By making areas level restricted it can increase traffic to land areas to cater to players that prefer a different play style and by making sure that the level restricted areas are not the only way to finish missions.

By creating level restrictions its also possible to guide newer players to areas that are well suited for their level, and for them to progress to new areas once they outgrow it.

This could be done by level capping or gear capping certain areas so the playing field is levveld.

Some of the ideas i had;

-zones in which u have indoor mining like hunting so less loots, but higher loots.
-zones with increased boss mob spawns
-zones where u have increased skill gains, but lose skills gained upon death to the mobs inside. Or where if killed by an other player skills gained since entering are 'stolen'
-zones where a skill bonus is gained if surviving long enough against a wave.
-zones where the minimum loot of mobs is 90% but max loot is also reduced by the same formula making it more accesible for budget players to hunt at their level and keep the reasons for skilling up intact.

i like this idea very much, skill capped pvp areas would be amazing for us noobs too :) .

imo it would also be cool if non-sib weapons had a different buff like a crit increase bonus or eff. increase bonus, and make it worth skilling up to use.

Yeah,

or differnt quality L weapons of the same type.

So 1 item can have a multitude of different rolls

TT value,
Decay

and then the damage range level stats.

I think something that would be cool would be untierable limited weapons with really high prof level requirements. For example, a level 140 laser rifle that has around XTLC 800 tier 10 damage, but the benefit is no damage enhancers are used up. There could also be similar weapons for less common professions that follow this trend, like an untierable shortblade with around POD T10 dps, but maxes at level 110 SB or so. This way people with a lot of skills could switch around professions for a bit if they want to without having to own a lot of extremely expensive weapons. + the benefit of no damage enhancers used. Of course these weapons would need to be limited and somewhat infrequent so they benefit the economy in some way as well.

Edit: the reason I say untierable is because the purpose of these weapons wouldn't be to replace cat10 guns, but reward high level players by giving them a more reasonable sort of low budget temporary weapon benefit that makes the lower level limited weapon market work.

Last edited:
This was what I suggested in the other thread, but yeah I didn't really expand on it very much and I suppose it's an idea worth divulging into in a separate thread.

Technically, Mayhem already exists that sort of does that... just make mayhem last all year long instead of just certain times of the year?

I guess there's 3 new planets that were in the old deep token white paper... maybe make each one skill based to enter?

Mindark's never said what the new 3 planets were exactly... so if they are open to suggestions...

High skill level planet = Akbal

Mid Level Planet = Cimi

Low Level Planet = Mars

could also introduce more content following the original storyline... https://www.planetcalypso.com/planet-calypso/the-story-of-calypso/

Last edited:
Or..You could make it really simple for new players or players in general with maybe a shading of lines or a color dot to help them know which is skill based for which level and/or maybe small caption on map, that way when they TP or jump somewhere they know it can apply.

I think all the ideas here are really great.

Hi Guys,

What i would like to see as a motivator for people to keep their skills and to skill up to unlock game content i think there need to be goals that can add dimensions to game play where players get to be strategic about their game goals/choices.

By making areas level restricted it can increase traffic to land areas to cater to players that prefer a different play style and by making sure that the level restricted areas are not the only way to finish missions.

By creating level restrictions its also possible to guide newer players to areas that are well suited for their level, and for them to progress to new areas once they outgrow it.

This could be done by level capping or gear capping certain areas so the playing field is levveld.

Some of the ideas i had;

-zones in which u have indoor mining like hunting so less loots, but higher loots.
-zones where u have increased skill gains, but lose skills gained upon death to the mobs inside. Or where if killed by an other player skills gained since entering are 'stolen'
-zones where the minimum loot of mobs is 90% but max loot is also reduced by the same formula making it more accesible for budget players to hunt at their level and keep the reasons for skilling up intact.

:wise: This idea is timely, as in it both offers to increase entertainment value and is within practical reach to implement.

Technically, Mayhem already exists that sort of does that... just make mayhem last all year long instead of just certain times of the year?

I guess there's 3 new planets that were in the old deep token white paper... maybe make each one skill based to enter?

Mindark's never said what the new 3 planets were exactly... so if they are open to suggestions...

High skill level planet = Akbal

Mid Level Planet = Cimi

Low Level Planet = Mars

could also introduce more content following the original storyline... https://www.planetcalypso.com/planet-calypso/the-story-of-calypso/
I love it! :wtg:

A skill based area system sounds interesting. :idea:

Maybe bring back something like they did back in the days when the new continent of Amethera was introduced, with a minimum profession level or skill ammount to get access.

I actually think if implemented right it would be a massive success for the game.That by leveling up you unlock more content and more areas to be able to go to..
It would also help new players to easier get familiar with what areas are best suited for them, and also when they will be ready to expand to new ones.

It would ofcause have to be fully thought through before implemented. But in general I like some of the ideas Joda mentioned.

Hi Guys,

Some of the ideas i had;

The Ideas are very nice :eyecrazy: !! If MA its looking at this Ideeas he has to work alot more on the system loot calculation because ,if that its implemented its going to do a big DMG to the system. There it can be arrangement between big Society's ingame and then the skills will drop down and the MARKET its going to collaps on skills !

Hope MA it can do something similar on that !

Back