PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Divinity Deth Undefined
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images

Can Mindark Provide A List of Globals either in Real Time or a Txt file for download on a daily basis?

I know most will say that EL is there. However the method by which EL collects data is prone to attacks including inclusion of fake globals into the EL data stream.

Today, I was informed of one such way of doing so and someone used the method to collect peds from events based on Global scoring system. A couple LA's/events have been already reported to have been effected by this. The problem lies with the approach that EL follows and that is collecting the information from the EL client. Then it becomes easy to replicate that data and if someone can show the same data coming from multiple sources then it becomes increasing difficult to segregate good data from the bad data.

Why can we not have the global data show on a page or uploaded in a txt file for download on a daily basis? I do not think this is a major job and can very easily be automated.

This will prevent issues of duplication/corruption of data and missed globals etc.

Old Alpha
    Society
    Viral
    Images
    I have seen some duplicates and screened those,

Would be very interested to hear more. Can we get this info out in the open? Thats one step
    Proud Owner of
    La25- Osseo Outpost - La51- Osseocollum Oasis

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Divinity Deth Undefined
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dombath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have seen some duplicates and screened those,

Would be very interested to hear more. Can we get this info out in the open? Thats one step
    I will not get into names as that is not the purpose of the thread. The issue has been made aware to Blastoise so I am sure he will look into it himself if not already.

The basic underlying problem is that when data is fetched from User then it will always be susceptible to such attacks.
    What is done in this case is to emulate multiple clients ( similar to EL client) and to send wrong data/fake data which is then accepted by EL as coming from multiple sources.

A similar issue is there with Crypto as well and is called the 51% attack. Currently EL needs only 5 confirmations to register a global. Even if they increase that, the underlying issue remains and it becomes increasingly server intensive as well.

It is not a matter of duplication of globals but you can enter globals into EL using the method and the only way we can go back to verify whether that data is correct is to get enough chat.log files and then analyse for inconsistency between data on EL and the one on the chat logs of people. Extremely tedious process.

Old Alpha
    Society
    Viral
    Images
    Thats okay no names required. I can do dome digging.

Yes i see what you mean about the issue.
    Would be a nice feature to have on the LA station.
    Maybe a download button of activity.
    Proud Owner of
    La25- Osseo Outpost - La51- Osseocollum Oasis

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Gloria GoNi Nicestyle
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    The problem is not new, it was even worse when just one report was needed to show global at EL.

Best solution would be to have an offical global logfile from MA, this would definately eliminate the cheaters and give much more accurate data about the globals, as no globals would miss at all.

Provider
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Roman Shoo Shumberg
    Images
    +1

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Oleg Oleg McMullery
    Society
    Rangers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
    I will not get into names as that is not the purpose of the thread.
    I think you should share names with other event promoters. If I was still running events, I would certainly want to know, and the person(s) concerned would be immediately and permanently banned from my events.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Society
    Titans Of Space
    Images
    yes , agree , maybe outputted from game as an RSS feed would work ?

SoReal's Quad-Wing Equus Warp Services.
    Arkadia Shop : Celeste Island 2

TOS Normandie Pilot: PM me in game or in forum for flight/skilling details.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Divinity Deth Undefined
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dombath View Post
    Would be a nice feature to have on the LA station.
    Maybe a download button of activity.
    I think that would complicate the development process. Also personally I would like EL to work as it is and just use a more reliable data source which would be available to them through a universal stream.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNi View Post
    The problem is not new, it was even worse when just one report was needed to show global at EL.

Best solution would be to have an offical global logfile from MA, this would definately eliminate the cheaters and give much more accurate data about the globals, as no globals would miss at all.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    I think you should share names with other event promoters. If I was still running events, I would certainly want to know, and the person(s) concerned would be immediately and permanently banned from my events.
    Agreed. If any of the active event promoters would like name, I am willing to share. However, unless we remove the underlying cause we will always be at a disadvantage and playing catch the fox

Personally, I want to focus more on solving this issue long term and I feel it is not an unreasonable ask and neither is it expensive for MA to implement.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Divinity Deth Undefined
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    I forgot to add if the individual has rep, been here for a while etc then it will start mattering. From my personal experience of identifying a lot of scammers/exploiters in the game they just recycle through avatars and most do not get to high levels and as such getting avatars banned does not necessarily solve the issue.

Hence why I want to focus on the issue rather then the perpetrator as he can come back with a new avatar in a matter of days if not minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoReal View Post
    yes , agree , maybe outputted from game as an RSS feed would work ?
    Good idea buds but i will leave the implementation methodology to MA as to what they consider safe, cheap and easy to maintain. There are many ways to do this, I just rather have the result work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast