Help: D3D Error after VU17 release.

Chris Enzo

Old Alpha
My Support Cases

Error loading game after new VU17.

2019-12-04 15:10 You wrote:

Playing entropia on my laptop worked just fine before.
Update went ok, but after starting client loader and then try to start the game I just get this error:

D3D Error:(Could not find any copatible Direct3D device.)

I have a Geforce GTX860M graphic card.
I run windows 10,DirectX 12, uppdated graphic drivers.
I uninstalled entropia reinstalled it but still gets the same error message.
Dxdiag says all is fine, no problem also device manager says all fine.

2019-12-05 14:45 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi enzo,

Thank you for contacting us.

We suggest that you do a complete uninstall of Entropia Universe, once you have done so, please make sure that there are no remaining folders and files from your previous install, please follow these steps below.

First off, uninstall Entropia Universe, make sure that there are no remaining files from the previous install. Please check the folders, Program, Program (x86) or (x64) and the hidden Folder "ProgramData" for any remaining Entropia Universe Files.

In order to show hidden folders in your local disc, Open File Explorer from the taskbar. Select View - Options - Change folder and search options. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and press "OK".

Then visit our website and download a new installer, since it has been updated and improved and install the client.

Do not hesitate to reply to this case if the issue persists afterward.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
Jeff | Entropia Universe Support

2019-12-05 20:46 You wrote:

Ok, so I uninstalled and reinstalled one more time, only thing that was left after uninstall was a empty folder that I deleted.
And yes I have show hidden files visible.

I also updated graphic driver to lates.

I still get the exact same error.
D3D Error:(Could not find any copatible Direct3D device.)

Other games works fine and so did EU before VU17.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone here has an idea how to fix this?

Did you try a CCleaner and clear registry of all irrelevant entries ?

Since its a laptop, probably has an integrated graphics card and a dedicated. Sometimes it'll try to run the game on the integrated, try going into your nvidea control panel and manually setting entropia universe to use the nvidea gpu only.

I too had issues with the new VU and only this morning was able to play with the help of a friend.

For me I think it was the issue that the installer did not make the folder "C:/ProgramData/Entropia Universe" (we're still not sure why or how) The way we fixed it was by sending me a zipped version of it and extract it there before starting a new instal.

Its a very specific problem that I had, so no guarantee you have the same issue, but check if there's stuff there. I may be able to give you the link to the zip file I received if the sender approves of it.

I too had issues with the new VU and only this morning was able to play with the help of a friend.

For me I think it was the issue that the installer did not make the folder "C:/ProgramData/Entropia Universe" (we're still not sure why or how) The way we fixed it was by sending me a zipped version of it and extract it there before starting a new instal.

Its a very specific problem that I had, so no guarantee you have the same issue, but check if there's stuff there. I may be able to give you the link to the zip file I received if the sender approves of it.

Yes Lizzy, I have that folder and subfolders in it.

Thanks for help:)

Since its a laptop, probably has an integrated graphics card and a dedicated. Sometimes it'll try to run the game on the integrated, try going into your nvidea control panel and manually setting entropia universe to use the nvidea gpu only.

Yes I dident mention it has integrated as well but I allready tried to change settings in nvidia control panel to force EU to use nvidia card, but dosent work, I tried that both before and after new drivers for the card.

Thanks for trying to help Hijacker:)

Did you try a CCleaner and clear registry of all irrelevant entries ?

Will try that, thanks for help:)

Edit: Did run the cc cleaner, both clean up registry and junkfiles, but it dident help me get in to the game, still get the sae D3D Error...

Last edited:
failed to create D3D device

Sadly, I now can admit I'm in the same situation as you Enzo .. just finished the reinstall after fallowing all advice from above and still got the failed to create D3D device .. I' m totally desperate . Thanks guys for all tips !

Same problem here, d3d error

Rgds

Ace

Do all people having this issue have Nvidia graphics?

Some more details about hardware \ driver version may help Mindark find out what is causing this issue.

Same here, but it started only after todays patch, before I could normally launch the game.
video card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Today's patch, screwed it for me as well!!

Rgds

Ace

Do all people having this issue have Nvidia graphics?

Some more details about hardware \ driver version may help Mindark find out what is causing this issue.

yes I use GeForce GTS 250 and I had no problem till today's patch.

yes I use GeForce GTS 250 and I had no problem till today's patch.

do you have a special Direct X11 version card ? as in the specs of the card i only see DX10 supported ?

https://www.cnet.com/products/xfx-g...ition-graphics-card-gf-gts-250-512-mb-series/

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=48CE4FC2-F5A3-453C-8C2A-1CCD73C35259

although hard to tell with only one or none error message....like other ppl use notebook-graphic cards and have also issues (but they have other problems as yours in this case)

Hope you find the issue...

Eddie

the error basically tells that the direct 3d renderer tries to open the application but cant find any proper graphics card to run it.

uninstall eu will much likely not help.

The rendering API now uses Microsoft DirectX 11, which requires Windows Vista or later. Windows XP is no longer supported.

So you need:
A Windows Version above Windows XP
DirectX 11 capable Hardware

- Check your laptop and graphics card model for DirectX 11 support on the manufacturers website.
if your graphics card wont support DirectX 11 its time to upgrade your hardware.

If it supports DirectX 11:
- install latest driver of graphics card manufacturer

The error is also very likely to happen to people with more than one monitor plugged into a laptop or pc specially using vga connector ports.

if the laptop/pc configuration has more than 1 graphics card inside, it can be the external vga port is configurated for the internal graphics card which much likely wont support dx11 and above on older laptops.

- check the graphics card assignment in your laptops or pcs for the vga connector ports. the graphics card supporting dx11 is to be assigned to the external ports or internal display if you use that.

Last edited:
Here's 4 possible fixes to try, usually one of them worked with other games.

This Assumes your Anti-Virus or whatever 3rd party protection software's that you use is not screwing up your actual downloads of EU files, or video drivers... (Yes that is still a problem in this day and age.)
And also assumes that no one needs to run the game as an administrator...

This "failed to create D3D device" lol its been several years since that reared its ugly head.
That was a big issue for other games but mostly for anyone who updated Win7 or Win8.x to Win10.
Later on MS released a Win10 patch that removed OEM drivers with Microsoft generic driver, the OEM updates would not correct it, and MS fix it wouldn't fix it either.

FIRST:
We will check the installed drivers are Nvidia and not Amd/Intel/Microsoft generic garbage/etc.

Right-click desktop, choose New > Shortcut > "devmgmt.msc" > name = "Device Manager"
(You want to open it another way [windows search, Control Panel], no problem, just do it.)

Open Device Manager
- Click "Display adapters".
- At top of Device Manager program is a menu bar click View > Show hidden devices
- "Display adapters" should show all installed video card drivers, and (no faint gray icons) none hidden...

- Double-Click the driver you want to update (or right-click and choose "Properties".)
ie. "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Driver", or "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080", etc.

- See 4 tabs click "Driver".
- Click "Update Driver" button.
- Now the correct AMD/NVidia/etc driver should be downloaded and installed.

Launch the game, and if it works don't forget to re-enable Anti-Virus if you needed to disable it.

SECOND:
Manually download your video card drivers, then install them
NVidia https://www.geforce.com/drivers
AMD https://www.amd.com/en/support
Note some video cards are very OEM specific and you must go to their website instead.
For example: MSI R9 270 Gaming 2G
And good luck with intel drivers, I avoid them like the plague.

THIRD:
Double-check your desktop's resolution...........
Ensure it is not set for a resolution your GPU, or game, can not display.

- Right-click empty spot on desktop
- click "Display Settings" (or use that term in windows search)
- Ensure "Scale and layout" is at 100%
- Change "Display resolution" here
Note: As soon as you change it, the new setting is automatically saved and applied by windows.

Suggest trying a lower desktop resolution but keep same Ratio scale, note Wiki has color coded scales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

For example if using 16:10 ratio (alias 8:5)
2560 x 1600 resolution (first try)
1920 x 1200 resolution
1680 x 1050 resolution
1440 x 900 resolution
1280 x 800 resolution (last try)
After changing resolution launch the game and see if it works.
If it does not then try the next lower resolution

There's been a few games where I've done this old trick and then could get in game again to change a graphics setting or in game resolution to get it to work at higher res again often by setting it lower ingame and saving then setting it higher ingame again afterwards and walking up the higher resolutions that my GPU could handle.

FOURTH:
If possible then check the game's onload resolution setting, often in a file or registry entry.
Do this to ensure its not set out of range of your GPU.
There's been plenty of games with updates that do that after a patch where its accidentally set to a particular devs extreme hi res settings.
For example using Windows Explorer (= windows start search term, NOT Internet Explorer)
Go to the following and must have view hidden items enabled

C:\Users\Public\entropia universe\public_users_data\settings-ce.cfg
Check these are set at your current resolution:
For example if desktop set at 1680 x 1050 resolution then
r_Width = 1050
r_WidthWin = 1680

r_WindowedFullscreen = 1
PS. maybe change WindowedFullscreen from 0=full screen to 1=windowed and see if that helps too?

I looked at the client loader's saved (regedit) settings and it doesn't have any resolutions saved
But here's the expected location for these type of settings which I looked at in case I missed something.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MindArk\Entropia Universe\

---

Sorry for this super long post. :(
Just dropped by to lurk for first time in a week+, seeing the current state I won't update EU until maybe the weekend when I've more time although I'm expecting another game (AGS NW) in Alpha phase 2 to drop in 2 days.
Anyways hope one of those 4 common fixes for this old problem works for everyone who experiences it.
Ciao! :)

Same error here too. Im using One laptop with Windows 7 64bits, before this last patch everything das ok. If someone with the same problem solve it sucefully please tell us how, thx.

Same problem, please bring a fix to this or lose 1/4 of your playerbase again...

1575973225-17-0-2.png

this since last patch, 17.0 and 17.0.1 were working without problems

Same problem, please bring a fix to this or lose 1/4 of your playerbase again...

1575973225-17-0-2.png

this since last patch, 17.0 and 17.0.1 were working without problems

you should read the other posts in this thread.....is your graphics card supporting Direct X11 ????`

if yes..then check drivers,frameworks,etc etc....

it worked with DX11 level 10 calls (17.0 , 17.0.1) but no more so i guess MA removed support for legacy and kicked us out ...

I also got this error with this new update.

I understand, my computer is old but c'mon, MA gotta work around it.

Every new update the game stops working.

Copy and pasting this from another thread:

"DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED"

Well, yes, this indicates that your graphics card or driver isn't supporting this DirectX11 feature.
DX11 is rather old at this point though so, what might help people on older hardware/integrated graphics, would be to do a clean install of graphics drivers (remove old first, then install new), run Windows update (some integrated graphics have drivers there, Note: when doing manual Windows Update, be sure to check under the "Optional Updates", since they're usually under that, and are not selected to be installed automatically), and for explicitly for those that have integrated graphics, look for updates on manufacturers sites.

Edit: You can also see your DX version by pressing windows-button + R to open "Run menu", and typing in: dxdiag

Edit 2: If this isn't helping, you probably need new gear... or emulate DX11, with something like WARP https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3darticles/directx-warp
Which is well, not fun.
A somewhat of a how-to on that: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/running-dx11-features-and-shader-level-5-0-on-a-dx10-gpu.371483/

Same problem here with my other pc. I got 1050Ti and got the newest drivers too, but same problem.
Why cant MA just check the support for DX10 and above? It should be an easy fix ...

man...this is just stupid....stupid beyond words, wrong and stupid. People make the game to work after the main vu and after yerstaday upgrade, alot of people are fucked up again. Is just no respect, every fucking vu or upgrade make problems everytime? you guys realy do not see this? these are not simple issues, the game is just dont working anymore guys for some people, wtf is wrong with you guys? Is just wrong, is very wrong on short, medium and long term ...is just wrong. People dont have fun and enjoy the game anymore, they need to buy new hardware, new setiings, new shits...loosing time right before the holidays. MR CEO !!!--THE GAME NEED TO HAVE A SAFE MODE TO BE ABLE TO WORK EVEN TO A PHONE OR OLD PC!!! THINK ON THAT! be resonable...please...

shading quality and shadows quality have big problems on lower settings, check this MA!:eyecrazy::eyecrazy:

I dont get any problems with my Radeon RX 580 8GB. Everything is set to highest setting and it run smoth and looks much better as pre vu17.

Back