Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Creature #1: Feffoids (L17-L19)
    Creature #2: Allo/Esto (L14-L22)
    Creature #3: Atrax (L13-L23)
    My Mutant Looter level: 13.95
    My Evade level: 22.04
    Rings: Athenic (L) and Aeglic (L)
    Weapon #1 (efficiency): ArMatrix LR-25 (L) + A103/LR1/B8/P15 - (67.2%)
    Weapon #2 (efficiency): EP-41 Military Adj. + A103/LR1+B8/B4 - (61.3%)
    Weapons decay (incl. attachments): 109.16 PED (+0.40 mu)
    Armor/FAP decay: 4.73 PED (Phantom+plates)
    Total ammo spent: 500 PED (weapon cells from tt)
    Total spent on hunt (w/mu): 614.29 PED

Hunting run duration: ~ 2 hours
    Globals/HoFs: none
    Items looted: Electric nano 1 (L)
    Items TT value (~markup value): 3.35 (+0.50 mu)
    Stackables: 477.29 PED (adding ~1.5% on other than shrap)
    Net returns (w/mu): 483 PED or 78.6%
    Loot quality, i.e. % shrapnel: 69% of loot tt was shrapnel
    Profit/Cost per hour: -66 PED/hour

--
    Acquisitions: ArMatrix LR-25 (L) for 58 (105.45%)

Hunting style: High(er) efficiency hunting using ArMatrix.

Defense: Relying solely on armor, no fapping.

What I learned: immediately after the last Kerberos hunt I did, I wanted to just see if changing mobs/location and going back to ArMatrix might reveal something about one's hunting loot returns. Sadly, it looks like when you are experiencing bad loot returns, there is really little you can do to stop it aside from just logging out and taking a break... If that's the case, the term 'Cursed Avatar Syndrome' is quite fitting.

Jambon seems to be describing this very phenomenon in his rant here. The question is, how to break the curse? Changing mobs and location didn't seem to work, changing weapons and efficiency had no effect either... My last 5 hunts, over 20 hours of hunting was just losses and have cost me about $3.25/hour. That's $65. In 20 hours, lost. And I'm not even hunting a large mob, just Kerbs mostly, a bit of Feffoid (level 17-19), Allo/Esto (14-22)... If I can't find sustainability at these levels, why move any higher? A lot of question marks at this stage...

And let's not forget that almost every one of my hunts has been over 4 hours long. The reason I'm doing these long hunts is to reduce volatility. The law of averages in a game of chance states that over time, if you do it long enough, your results should fall back to the mean average.

If what MindArk has stated is true, i.e. that the mean average hunting loot return was intended to be around 97%, then I cannot do otherwise than to conclude that 4 hour long hunts will not be long enough, and 20 hours of hunting is much too small of a sample size to reach that average. That's kind of disappointing because at my hunting level, I find it difficult to push through when each hunt I do is just a $13 loss on average.

Anyways, it seems only time will eventually break the 'Cursed Avatar Syndrome', I will be patient and I will proceed in a cautious manner.
    Last edited by Legends; Yesterday at 07:22.
    Check out my blog: Legends' Hunting Blog! and also our Society ad: DIRTY DINGOs
    My Shops at Twin Peaks mall, 2nd floor: Mayhem Armor Shop, Robot Armor Shop, Animal Armor Shop

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Creature: Atrax (L8-L12)
    My Animal Looter level: 22.58
    My Evade level: 22.06
    Tagger: Mirath Long Shot (L) + A101/LR1+B8/B8/P15 (62.3%)
    Weapon #1 (efficiency): Kinetic Nano 4 (L) + Kinetic 1 (L) - (58.6%)
    Weapon #2 (efficiency): Lacerating Nano 4 (L) + Kinetic 1 (L) - (60.5%)
    Weapon #3 (efficiency): Cryogenic Nano 3 (L) + Kinetic 1 (L) - (58.9%)
    Weapon #4 (efficiency): Lacerating Nano 3 (L) + Kinetic 1 (L) - (61.3%)
    Weapons decay (incl. attachments): 46.17 PED (+1.73 markup)
    Armor/FAP decay: 90.40 PED (Phantom+plates)
    Total ammo spent: 1299.03 PED
    Total spent on hunt (w/mu): 1437.33 PED

Hunting run duration: ~ 10 hours
    Globals/HoFs: 59 PED
    Items looted: Combustive Nano 4 (L)
    Items TT value (~markup value): 25.69 PED (+1.71 markup)
    Stackables: 1321.38 PED (adding ~1.5% on other than shrap)
    Net returns (w/mu): 1348.78 PED or 94.3%
    Loot quality, i.e. % shrapnel: 66% of loot tt was shrapnel
    Profit/Cost per hour: -8 PED/hour

Quite a bit better than the last couple of hunts but still negative.

Hunting style: still skilling mindforce. This is a very dense spawn, which I think is designed for skilling support weapons (rocket launchers). I try to stick to the edge and tag them one at a time using the Mirath Long Shot but at some point have to walk into the spawn area and end up getting swarmed eventually. Not good for the armor repair bill.

Defense: Relying on armor, but had to fap a couple of times (especially at the end when my armor was decayed a lot). The armor decay is over 6% of the total cost of this hunt. That is much higher then all of my other hunts, obviously I'm getting swarmed way too much by these guys, and on top of that, it takes me a bit too long to kill them with the chips I'm using.

What I learned: My Evade and my Animal Looter is hardly going up. I need to look for something a bit bigger cause this feels like a waste of time.

Achievements: Was using mostly the Cryogenic and Lacerating chips so my Cryogenic (Hit) went up almost 4 full levels on this hunt. Also I took Longblades twice in the Codex, and Pyrokinesis twice as well, so Swordsman (Hit) went up 1 level and Pyrokinetic (Hit), 1.5 levels. Now that my Pyro is above 12, I can use the 2 Combustive Nano 4 chips I've looted recently.
    Last edited by Legends; Yesterday at 07:35. Reason: forgot about implant decay = 3.33, numbers fixed
    My Shops at Twin Peaks mall, 2nd floor: Mayhem Armor Shop, Robot Armor Shop, Animal Armor Shop

Just the same

Hi,

Your log is very similar to my results in hunting past weeks. At the moment i'm experiencing a long bad period of bad loot, although for some it would seem normal as the game is "dynamic" and you need high turnover and high count of mobs killed to even out. I came back to the game two months ago, at about 40K PED turnover i'm at 92.4% TT return. Markup as always on those mobs are sh*t. I did cyrene mission for R.E.F.U.R.B.I.S.H.E.D FAP in this time, did some Arkadia hunting. Most of the hunting was done on low level mobs - argo's, fauls, atrax, nusul, but also on atrox (as i have 5K Iron to finish at 3K/5K for 15 Evade) and ambulimax.

I used A-3 Justifier Mk. II, Adjusted + A106 for most hunting. At the moment I hunt with Armatrix LR-30 (L) + A106 to get my rifle skills higher, i use pills from boxes to increase fire rate and crit hit (i'm not even counting them in for TT return), ArMatrix LP-25/30 pistols and also use a finisher.

I'm lvl 21 animal looter, lvl 20 evade, lvl 39 laser sniper.

And pas two weeks is the fastest going down with almost none TT profit runs. So yeah, it's hard to pass those bad times, i hope it improves.

I wish you best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by DevoteD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi,

Your log is very similar to my results in hunting past weeks. At the moment i'm experiencing a long bad period of bad loot, although for some it would seem normal as the game is "dynamic" and you need high turnover and high count of mobs killed to even out. I came back to the game two months ago, at about 40K PED turnover i'm at 92.4% TT return. Markup as always on those mobs are sh*t. I did cyrene mission for R.E.F.U.R.B.I.S.H.E.D FAP in this time, did some Arkadia hunting. Most of the hunting was done on low level mobs - argo's, fauls, atrax, nusul, but also on atrox (as i have 5K Iron to finish at 3K/5K for 15 Evade) and ambulimax.

I used A-3 Justifier Mk. II, Adjusted + A106 for most hunting. At the moment I hunt with Armatrix LR-30 (L) + A106 to get my rifle skills higher, i use pills from boxes to increase fire rate and crit hit (i'm not even counting them in for TT return), ArMatrix LP-25/30 pistols and also use a finisher.

And pas two weeks is the fastest going down with almost none TT profit runs. So yeah, it's hard to pass those bad times, i hope it improves.

I wish you best of luck
    92.4 % seems about right With Your looter and efficiency.

Legend talks about average return. He forgets that a few players with Extreme turnover and high tt Return (97-99 %) skews the average. For 95 % of the player base, it would make more sense to have MA give out the median Return - something they'll never do.

Get Your looter to 40, get Your efficiency up +10, and you'll have +2 % right there. Stop shooting big mobs With high regen With low DPS, and you'll do better. 40k turnover on Atrox is nothing. 40k turnover on small argo or foul would give you a higher tt Return % (unless you're Lucky and hit big on atrox - probability says you won't).

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DevoteD View Post
    Hi,

I wish you best of luck
    Hey Devoted,

Thanks for sharing and for the words of encouragement

Legends

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Creature: Primordial Longu (L17-L31)
    My Animal Looter level: 22.69 (ended at 22.98)
    My Evade level: 22.10 (ended at 22.25)
    Weapon #1 (efficiency): ArMatrix LR-25 (L) + A105 Hyper/LR1+B8/P15 (66.2%)
    Weapon #2 (efficiency): EWE EP-41 Military, Adjusted + A103/LR1/B8 - (59.8%)
    Weapons decay (incl. attachments): 646.33 PED (+2.63 markup)
    Damage Enhancers: 22.40 cost (14 broke)
    Armor decay: 38.80 PED (+1.18 markup on limited parts)
    FAP decay: 7.94 PED
    Total ammo spent: 3090 PED
    Total spent on hunt (w/mu): 3809.28 PED

Hunting run duration: ~ 11 hours
    Globals/HoFs: 50 and 53
    Items looted: none
    Items TT value (~markup value): N/A
    Stackables: 3246.60 PED (45.60 output amps, 5.60 tier 7, 3.41 basic leather extractor...)
    Net returns (w/mu): 3301 PED or 86.66%
    Loot quality, i.e. % shrapnel: 73% of loot tt was shrapnel
    Profit/Cost per hour: -46 PED/hour

I don't know what I'm supposed to say about this anymore... Thanks MA for not giving me another BS 79% return I guess..? I managed to find about 55 PED worth of markup in my loot, but that hardly makes a difference. I was surprised at just how many Output Amplifiers I got, but I guess that explains why the markup on Output Amps is free falling; the rate at which they drop is just nuts.

Hunting: This spawn is very well distributed, not too dense or too sparse, and the Primordial Longu don't aggro that easily so at the end I was just using the handgun (cause the ArMatrix rifle was almost done) and never had more than 1 mob on me at a time. When I started the hunt I wasn't using any Damage Enhancers, but when I saw how slow it was to kill the Guardians and Dominants, I decided to add them (the EWE EP-41 Military Adjusted is tier 7), thinking the savings on defensive costs would make up for it. Now that I look at this, in hindsight, I should have just used an LR-35 instead, probably would have worked much better.

Defense: For the Young and Mature, no problem, I usually kill them before they hit me, but for the Guardians and Dominants, it takes a bit longer and sometimes I have to heal... So that is not ideal, but overall the defensive costs including the fapping still only adds up to about 1.3% of the hunt total cost, which I think is quite acceptable. The armor I used was a mix of things, I had Martial (L) + 5B, as well as a couple pieces of Eon (L) (which is really cheap on the auction btw), a pair of Chronicle (L) gloves (also very cheap), so I added up all the decay and added a markup amount based on 105% for all the limited parts I used. The FAP is an EMT-Kit Ek-2600 which I know is really not eco to use but that's all I have right now. I think it's about 10 PEC per heal so in an 11 hour hunt, I healed about 80 times, or 7 times / hour. The armor did most of the work.

What I learned: 22.40 PED, that is the total markup cost of the 14 Dmg Enhancers that broke on the handgun. I don't think it was worth it. If I hadn't used the enhancers, maybe I would have fapped a little more, but not for 22 PED more... My theory on weapon enhancers goes something like this: Dmg Enhancers are for increasing DPS, Accuracy Enhancers are for raising DPP and thus loot composition quality, Economy Enhancers are to make your high-mu limited weapon last longer, Range Enhancers are so you can save on defensive costs when you are hunting a mob where there is no other choice then to use very high-mu armor, like Daspletor for example, or Eomon.

Achievements: Level 39 laser pistoleer (Hit), Level 36 blp pistoleer (Hit). Completed the first 8 stages for Primordial Longu, I took Longblades a few times in the Codex and went up almost 3 levels, am now Level 17 Swordsman (Hit), took Pyrokinesis in the Codex a few times as well and that also has gone up almost 3 full levels, am now Level 15 Pyro Kinetic (Hit). My Evader and my Looter professions went up a bit but honestly I expected them to go up more then that given that this mob was higher level.
    Last edited by Legends; Yesterday at 07:37.

Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Legends View Post
    ...it takes a bit longer and sometimes I have to heal... So that is not ideal, it takes a bit longer and sometimes I have to heal... So that is not ideal,...
    If you intent to skill up, to be able to hunt bigger, shouldn't you not also skill up your healing?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wizz View Post
    If you intent to skill up, to be able to hunt bigger, shouldn't you not also skill up your healing?
    Sure, that's a good point. There's so much I could say about this... I'll try to break down my reasoning why I'm doing things the way I'm doing them below:

1. My goals:

As per the first post in this Blog:

Thank you for checking out this Hunting Blog where I will share the details my Hunting adventures in Entropia with everyone. First things first, here are my goals and the main reasons why I'm doing this:

1. I want to get back into hunting again
    2. I want to learn and get better and smarter as I progress
    3. I want to figure out how to do it in a sustainable way...
    Probably the #1 thing I put a lot of emphasis on in any of the choices I make is about economy and the actual cost to use certain things. This might all be in vain in a game of chance but I always thought that it might be possible to have a bit of an edge by paying attention to these things and playing more eco then the average player. So part of 'figuring out how to do it in a sustainable way', for me, is figuring out what all the most sensible and economical tools and weapons are.

Yes, I have been putting some emphasis on skilling, but I'm just trying to skill up my Looter and Evade professions mostly. The Melee and Mindforce I keep talking about, that's just to give me more options when I'm shopping for weapons (and more options for Mayhem as well, if I ever do participate in those). I don't really have a goal or intention to hunt bigger mobs right now, especially when I'm already losing my ass just on level ~20 mobs...

2. Being eco on Defense:

When it comes to defensive costs, you basically have 2 choices, Armor, Healing tools, or any combination of these 2, but that's pretty much it. The costs of protection using armor is as follows:

For the Limited armor, the cost of protection is: 21.978 hp / pec
    While for Unlimited, with 10,000 less Durability, it is: 20.4081 hp / pec
    As for healing tools and FAPs, well, if you go to Entropiawiki.com and compare all the Medical Tools currently available the first thing you will notice is that the majority of healing tools that have an economy higher than 20 hp heal/pec are unlimited and cost thousands of PED. (tip: click on the 'Eco' column to organize them from highest to lowest eco, descending)

There is a case to be made for the new limited Restoration chips but the markup on them is gonna have to drop to about 400% before they are worth using (at which point I believe the Eco on them will work out to be right around the 20 hp heal/pec that armor has).

3. Armor is more practical to use

Some will probably say that I'm biased because I sell armors, and that might be true, but in my opinion, Armors have always been more practical to use, for a few reasons:

- No skills required for using any armor, even high-level armors
    - No need to stop shooting to heal yourself
    - Nice Buffs available on some unlimited sets
    - Better affordability at my level

The unfortunate thing playing this way is that I need to use different armors for different mobs and switch plates and so on and so forth, it's kind of tedious, but I'd rather do that then spend $400 on an Adjusted Resto Chip. My thinking on this might change eventually but for now, that's my position.

--
    All that said though, you do have a point wizz, thanks for bringing it up. The only thing I see worth skilling for right now is those new Restoration Chips and so I will look into acquiring a mindforce healing chip to help skill up my Biotropic a bit.

PS: note that there is missing information still on those Restoration Chips in the wiki, but just going on what we have so far, I'm assuming that they will all be very similar in economy.
    Last edited by Legends; Yesterday at 07:51.

I don't know what I'm supposed to say about this anymore... Thanks MA for not giving me another BS 79% return I guess..? I managed to find about 55 PED worth of markup in my loot, but that hardly makes a difference. I was surprised at just how many Output Amplifiers I got, but I guess that explains why the markup on Output Amps is free falling; the rate at which they drop is just nuts.

Dude, I like reading your log. It's real Nice, With lots of interesting details. Even so, you don't get it. 86 % Return after shooting so few mobs (2-4 ped cost each means ~1000 kills only) cannot land on average. It will most probably be below average return, or in case of a big global, quite above average.

Turnover means sh*t, it's the amount of loot events that counts. MA said it themselves, and the Law of big numbers does apply.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LavaSparks View Post
    Dude, I like reading your log. It's real Nice, With lots of interesting details. Even so, you don't get it. 86 % Return after shooting so few mobs (2-4 ped cost each means ~1000 kills only) cannot land on average. It will most probably be below average return, or in case of a big global, quite above average.

Turnover means sh*t, it's the amount of loot events that counts. MA said it themselves, and the Law of big numbers does apply.
    Thanks LavaSparks. My dismay in the results is not just on this one hunt, it's on the overall picture, the last 30 hours of hunting have all been losses, not a single run showing profits at the end, not on TT, not on markup either. I understand your point about the number of loot events, and I haven't really bothered to count what all of these hunts add up to in terms of mob kills, but I know it's up there, over 3.5k I would say.

To put it another way, here's how it looks for me right now:

40 PED profit, 40 PED loss, 120 PED loss, 200 PED profit, 167 PED profit, 236 PED loss, 128 PED loss, 68 PED profit, 30 PED loss, 17 PED profit, 200 PED loss, 200 PED loss, 138 PED loss, 18 PED loss, 160 PED loss, 134 PED loss, 90 PED loss, 506 PED loss

Simplified further:

profit-loss-loss-profit-profit-loss-loss-profit-loss-profit-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss-loss

8 hunts in a row now, totaling 31 hours of hunting I believe...

I don't think that's going to do much to encourage newer players to keep going. There has to be some positive returns here and there otherwise people will just quit, to do otherwise would just be insanity, i.e. doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Anyway, I'm taking the night off Entropia so I can tabulate all of my results into one grid and then we can all look it over and have a clearer picture of where things stand for me. Watch for that, it should be posted here in the next few hours.

And btw, I don't think it's fair that you say that 'I don't get it', I do get it, I know it's a game of chance and I've spoken about the law of averages right here in this very blog. I'm just really disappointed at my shitty luck lately, that's all. And if I really didn't get it, then I would have stopped hunting already, but I know that things will likely turn around for me eventually, I just think it's taking too long for that to happen. If things haven't turned around by the time I get to 30k PED turnover (10k mobs) then I might consider stopping.

And this is a blog, not just a hunting log, so I've given myself that extra freedom to express my thoughts and my feelings about things, so if I criticize MA or the loot system, it's just a part of the experience, and I'm pretty sure that this feeling is normal tbh, I don't think anyone is going to really, honestly think that I'm being unfair feeling this way about it, anyone else would feel just the same looking at these results.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast