Deposit limits - should MA do more?

matthew

Elite
Society
freelancer
Sir Matt Copping
For several years i have requested a reduced deposit limit, partly so that i don't get carried away and spend to much and partly so i am more thoughtful about how i spend my peds on any given month (usually leading to more hours/$$$).

However everytime my card expires or i change card my limit is returned to $5000 a month.

1) Why is the default limit so high?

2) Why does my limit keep resetting?

3) Why do i have to request support to decrease the limit (instead of being able to do it straight away in game or on the website), why does support only have category for "deposit - increase limit" and not a general "set limit"?

4) Why is it not possible to set in game hour limits or even in game spend limits?

5) Should MA do more to protect its user from over spending?

I’ve never considered it from this perspective before, so thanks for the insight.

They do seem on the ball when it comes to large increases, asking for ID etc.

However I do agree that if you have specifically requested a hard limit, then it should remain fixed and they should have a mechanism to do this.

I am sorry, but when I read this
so that i don't get carried away and spend to much
I think Mindark's not at fault here. Try to go with a fixed amount each month, put it on a seperate account so you won't deposit too much. If you can't control yourself, seek help.

1) Why is the default limit so high?

Some might argue that it's too low. I guess it's all relative.

2) Why does my limit keep resetting?

At first I thought you were asking why a monthly limit would reset, but now I see that you are talking about a lowered limit that you requested. They seem to tie the limits to the payment method rather than the account - when I had my limit increased it was only increased on one of my payment methods, IIRC.

3) Why do i have to request support to decrease the limit (instead of being able to do it straight away in game or on the website), why does support only have category for "deposit - increase limit" and not a general "set limit"?

4) Why is it not possible to set in game hour limits or even in game spend limits?

A user-configurable limit would likely be a pointless feature. Players who simply control their own spending don't need it, and players who can't control themselves would just go increase their configured limit once they hit their previously configured limit. Perhaps if they only allowed e.g. one change per quarter it might work, but if this is a feature you need, I agree with Spawn in that you should seek professional guidance.

5) Should MA do more to protect its user from over spending?

No. People should have personal responsibility and accountability to control their own time and money spent.

Last edited:
Funny.. trying to get them to raise my limit and they dont answer their support ticket. Lol.

Cant even give mindark money at the moment.

instead of depositing X bucks every Y hours or days, try to deposit your monthly budget, guess what, exactly once a month ... easy cheesy! ;)

Can't you have your bank enforce these limits?

(Banking practices differ across countries, and I haven't done enough business with British banks to be sure)

It is quite common in the UK for people to be able to enforce a limit on their own gambling. Either in betting shops, online etc. It's a term of the gambling commission license.

The hard limit is often used to help problem gamblers to curb their own addiction. Saying " use a different account, or - go get help" doesn't work in these scenarios.

I ofc don't know ops circumstances, but setting yourself your own hard limit on a game like EU doesn't seem unreasonable.

https://www.gamblingcommission.gov..../Tools-to-help-you-control-your-gambling.aspx

Yes in the UK these types of things are common for all types of gambling. Even later in the year depositing money into online gambling via credit card will be banned. It is interesting to hear different opinions on the topic

Perhaps it would be a form of admitting their game is gambling if they were to have that option.
As those types of options generally apply to only gambling products.

Back