Info: New pcf password guidelines-> PW change every 7 days now ???

Edward-James

Prowler
Society
SHOOT ´N LOOT
Edward MrEddie James
Hello all,

security is important no doubt...but is it rly necessary to change the password on pcf every 7 days now ?

is it possible to change that to 30 days or something atleast?

Eddie

Totally agree with OP.

While I applaud that PCF has at last moved towards improved account security on this forum, going from no reminders to change passwords every 7 days is overkill. This is ridiculous, not only does it way exceed the password changes for most large corporations and government departments (usually monthly or quarterly), but raises the risk of people giving up using PCF simply because they will forget what they used this time, as too many changes, or they will number the password sequentially thereby rendering the change pointless.
This frequency could quickly kill this forum and cost the players a good information resource and social space important to EU

Is it just overkill or simply something that wasn't turned off after the "security breach" that resulted in all passwords being reset a week ago?
A number of people have already complained about this in another thread earlier today.
Hopefully we will see this fixed soon.
Hopefully :)

very annoying indeed (make it once per year or something), on the positive side they also switched to https

or, just use the same password when you change it. Not saying I did, a friend told me you could do that.

very annoying indeed (make it once per year or something), on the positive side they also switched to https

wow and this in the year 2020. im quite impressed.
i guess, the forum is maintained by MA now (sorry was away quite a time) ?

I am sure it was not intended to be every 1 week, perhaps they intended to set it for 1 year.

This was a measure taken temporarily to ensure that as many members as possible would change their passwords. It was not supposed to require a second password change this soon, not sure why it triggered again today for some of you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

In any case, I have changed the setting so that passwords will need to be changed approximately once every seven months.

password-too-old.jpg

Thanks.. that was really due :p

I have changed the setting so that passwords will need to be changed approximately once every seven months.

That's still much more frequent than any other site or service I use, almost none of which have any enforced password change period whatsoever. Why is this necessary?

That's still much more frequent than any other site or service I use, almost none of which have any enforced password change period whatsoever. Why is this necessary?

Three months is the standard where I work.
Seven months is a luxury, considering how many passwords I have here at work.
You really shouldn't be worrying so much about this mate. It's nothing.

Also, if people are getting frustrated with all the passwords you need to manage, consider getting a manager like lastpass

Allows you to have a unique password for all your various boards without risking anything else or having to remember them all. If one gets tagged just have the app make you a new one.

what about opera and bitwarden hmm? :laugh:

Back