Suggestion: Entropia Universe on Steam

Society
DFA
Drifter007
I want Entropia to grow to its fullest potential, and I think something to help it would be Steam. The Steam gaming platform is the biggest on the PC market and the most popular. Entropia Universe could grow much larger if it could get onto Steam, and have many benefits to the games economy in my opinion. It seems they have dabbled with the idea, but not dived in fully yet. I've noticed that Compets was once available through Steam, and Monria was on Steam Greenlit before the service was retired. Also to note, Monria at the time, ranked 7th out of 1499 Games in Greenlight. But the good thing though about Greenlit being retired some time ago, is that Steam Direct was created. All Mindark would have to do is pay Steam a $100 admission fee I believe, instead of going through a harder approval process such as Monria had to. Seems like a good and simple idea to me. What do the rest of you think about this thought?

Monria - Steam Greenlit
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204570488

Compets - Steam Store
https://store.steampowered.com/app/532800/ComPet__Epic_Beast_Battles/

I 100% agree with the sentiment, and for the last 20 years this game has been on the edge of great, and while steam does have large numbers, I don't feel like the steam community is a good fit for here.

At the risk of throwing out stereotypes, I have found the steam community more toxic, less tolerant of defects, more prone to cheating, less committed to any one game, and other 'grinding' games don't seem to hold an appeal in that space.

MA does need to advertise better (or even just somewhere) but they should be targeting the MMO community and take some of the WoW / WoW Clone player base, IMO they would be a better fit.

Some things keep coming back like a bad penny. As long as it remains a choice, maybe. It is probably good as promotional tool, but if I am forced to install a rootkit called Steam or otherwise just to continue, this will mean divorce. No discussion, don't even try.

LOL imagine thinking this game could survive the Steam crowd.

Yea, an endless flood of negative reviews would be a great marketing tool... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that many are scarred of Steam, but it is the number 1 platform on PC, and almost every modern game is on it. That is how we reach a wider audience and without costing Mindark to waste any money at all, it advertises itself being listed there. Entropia Universe is not really known by many, there is no reason to hide it from the world, that would only cause it to eventually fade away. Anytime I tell someone about it, they tell me they never heard of it, that is not good at all. The Steam community is not toxic, as some of you claim. If the game is good, which it is, it will get good reviews. Monria as said "at the time, ranked 7th out of 1499 Games in Greenlit", how is that a bad rating by the Steam community?? Sure, Compets did a mediocre job on steam, but that game is not EU, and even our non-Steam community disliked it, so that is not indicative of what we should expect. I think many folks are just simply afraid of change and the unknown, or of the much older generation not willing to try something they assume is bad. And there is no virus or rootkits from installing Steam, that is very silly talk. Do we not want to grow, to change, to be better? Please discuss and thanks for your opinions.

I agree, offering Entropia Universe on Steam would be a good thing.
But I also believe that MA should make it if you download and join EU you should be given the option of what planet to begin on during the avatar creation in order for this to work and be fair. All Planet Partners should be involved and share any expense there may be.

I did not say that.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I agree, offering Entropia Universe on Steam would be a good thing.
But I also believe that MA should make it if you download and join EU you should be given the option of what planet to begin on during the avatar creation in order for this to work and be fair. All Planet Partners should be involved and share any expense there may be.

True, that would make sense to all planet partners. Monria before was trying on there own, but together is even better for sure.

so they take 20% from the game earnings ?

Another question: can the platform handle a large influx of new players, if it were to happen? Especially Calypso.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that many are scarred of Steam, but it is the number 1 platform on PC, and almost every modern game is on it.

I don't think anyone here is "scared" of Steam. I have a fairly large collection of Steam games; even though I much prefer to buy from GOG due to the lack of DRM. Steam is still a great platform.

The Steam community is not toxic, as some of you claim. If the game is good, which it is, it will get good reviews. Monria as said "at the time, ranked 7th out of 1499 Games in Greenlit", how is that a bad rating by the Steam community?? .

First, Monria is very community-oriented (and it's a wonderful community). It's not a coincidence that all of the good comments about it came from L0 Steam accounts :rolleyes:. But, Monria also has an appeal to any Lovecraft fan, has a good fleshed out story arc, decent writing, a consistent style, and so forth. There's a lot of elements that would at least cause people to take interest.

From a purely game perspective, EU as a whole is barely a C-class game, and I say that with affection as someone who has put a lot of time and money into it. It's a very niche audience. The actual mechanics, gameplay, AI, animation, sound, essentially everything would be completely torn to shreds by the typical MMO audience on Steam, who are highly critical of even the best modern AAA titles. When you then add the fact that you need to deposit thousands of real dollars to even play at a low level, how do you think a bunch of gamers who declare holy war on MMOs that try to add in $0.25 microtransactions are going to react? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all you'd see is a lot of red thumbs down.

Back