Would a group funded anti pirate fleet be feesible?

BigChung

Mature
I was thinking that a bunch of people in quads can fly around space to protect against pirates(about 10) equally distributed between planets. The vehicles, guns, and ammo would be supplied by donations. So much loot gets lost in space. Especially when motherships get blown up! So, f this thing gains any interest would be cool to put a plan in action. People may think pirates aren't a big deal but several thousands of ped get lost.Even a small fleet can save alot of ped :)

Great idea - it has been tried many times before and it does not work. Furthermore there is so little pirate activity these days, it is not worth the effort

Last 100+ trips through space and i have yet to meet a pirate. Or have things changed in last 10-15 days?? :scratch2:

If piracy was a significant threat then this plan could be feasible. But at present there is extremely low pirate activity, and there are enough active ships in space with such massive SI that piracy at current levels represents no threat whatsoever.

Considering the amount of time and effort required to maintain a 24/7 anti piracy coalition, it is far more reasonable to simply pay the VIP rate for a warp (25 PED one way is pretty standard, and can be split by a group).

So the short answer is no for now but not forever.

Stop letting the warp service cartels drive fear into you. They have been ripping you off long enough. And no 25 ped is not reasonable nor has it ever been. I felt bad charging 15 ped a flight in my starfinder years ago, multiple passengers split that 15 ped. Because back then the crafted warps came out to a 7 ped total cost. Now... more like 4-5. 2 people or more paying 25 ped each to ride a 5 ped cost is a pure ripoff.

There are no pirates.
There is no reason to pay anymore aside from convenience.
You would need to seriously be off your game to let someone loot you in space.....like letting them follow you for at least 3 minutes in any direction kind of dumb.
Space is 3d, go up or down on the plane and don't go point a to point b, and the odds are pretty astronomical for them to know where you enter pvp space.....which is only about 3 minutes in actual pvp of the total 20 minute flight caly-rt for example. Certainly not worth the wait in any one point, especially considering if you are in non pvp and come up on some pirate camping that pvp zone...you can just turn around and be back and safe before they can catch up and into laser range... even in a firebird v quad.

I've been in warp mines...they are not worth the time or the money, and no-one can organize these days if they wanted to be effective at all. I doubt anyone around besides those warp cartels know how to operate the mines. So if they ever become active....again...its likely the warp services that are feeding the pirates behind it. Deeds are no longer given to pirates to drive fear into terrified warp "customers" with the old system and its glorious. (mostly because even with payoffs, there is no more reasonable looting opportunities for pirates without wasting hours on end waiting for the small chance they come flying by your tiny ship in massive space) Camping a SS is one thing where everyone has to come near it, camping a random spot in space is entirely different.

I actually miss them, they helped me unlock deep space knowledge with all of their fruitless attacks, since I have been more than happy to provide PED losses to them over the years. Some good things come about, eventually you make friends and realize the dark sides that fund them, win or lose, they got paid.

And if you add up the sheer amounts of PED siphoned off the terrified player base in warps over the years... you can see why.

I Firebird warp daily multiple times a day to most planets for sales, sometimes with loot, sometimes I am too heavy for my warp ship and need to quad back with more loot ( less actual risk in the quad vs the off chance a warp mine gets put up) ... pirates are a non issue. 100%

Last edited:
they should add toxic shoots in space srly , loootable pvp is far go on your risk

Space is 3d, go up or down on the plane and don't go point a to point b, and the odds are pretty astronomical for them to know where you enter pvp space.....

This worked out for me every time. As far as I know there's a few pirates that like to camp between Calypso and Monria and between Calypso and Arkadia. The only way to run into them is to fly from point A to point B directly.

On a side note, I don't see any reason for space to be so big.

This worked out for me every time. As far as I know there's a few pirates that like to camp between Calypso and Monria and between Calypso and Arkadia. The only way to run into them is to fly from point A to point B directly.

On a side note, I don't see any reason for space to be so big.
To be realistic space is big. There is no reason why a spaceship should fly the speed of a Tiger Moth. Should have speed of sound at least

To be realistic space is big. There is no reason why a spaceship should fly the speed of a Tiger Moth. Should have speed of sound at least

Realistically we shouldn’t be able to breathe indefinitely under water, nor should we be banned from having mobs as disciples! :)

But seriously there’s no point in applying hard logic to a sci-fi videogame, it just has to be practical. Space too big, regular ships too slow, we’re basically talking about the same thing: a quad flight from one planet to another is extremely boring.

OT is a couple months late, which is when a major paradigm shift happened in space. Telling by registration date and number of postings, he/she might not be aware of the history. Earlier, when being camped at spawn point and such insolences were considered "fair game", similar suggestions were posted several times. But no group was able to motivate enough forces to get such a thing going. People playing with real money just rather avoid risk altogether instead of accepting a simulated challenge.

Back