Suggestion: Where's the beef?

Goosfraba

Mature
Society
Victory
Lunareth Luna Moon
So as I am standing here out in the field slaughtering a bunch of cows, I can't help but wonder where's the beef?

The basic premise of hunting is to gather food and other resources that can benefit you (such as hides and furs for clothing). So how come there is no meat from hunting mobs in this game?

My suggestion is that MA adds meat to the loot pool of the animals in the game (wouldn't make sense for a robot to drop "drone meat"). By adding meat hunter get a new incentive to hunt certain mobs. The meat should be based on the type of mob you hunt (and if you want to make it more complex the maturity of the mob you hunt can affect the type of meat or quantity).

I understand that there needs to be a balance between the holy trinity (hunting, mining and crafting) of the game so here is where the other "professions" come in.

For crafters MA could introduce a whole new crafting profession related to cooking, where meat from hunting is used in combination with other items to create food that gives buffs (kind of like pills), the type of buff you get should be based on the type of meat and other items used and the skill of the cook and tools used.
To make it more complex MA could also introduce new bps for creating i.e. stoves and ovens (which would give housing a new purpose too). To stimulate the market the stoves and such could work kind of like vehicles do, in the sense that they are L but you can repair them to some degree with a repair tool that uses welding wire or such (that way the kitchen-stuff has to be replaced at some point). You could also add bps for i.e. frying pans and such that need to be used for specifik cooking recipes. You could even go one step further and introduce new food containers and fridges and such as bps so that the freshness of the meat/dish decides how good the food buff is. So in other words by preserving the food in a container the buff it gives deteriorates at a slower pace until it's actually consumed by the player. I understand that pills from lootboxes and such are kind of a big deal, so the buffs the food gives should be beneficial without replacing the purpose of pills. I.e. it could be things such as increased regeneration or run speed.

For miners it would be more of the same, minerals and such used for the crafting of the kitchen "tools" and such but MA could also introduce a few new minerals and such i.e. rocksalt or something that could be turned into salt and used as ingredient in the cooking. (Sorry don't know much about mining)

For hunters the meat is the obvious addition and as I mentioned before it wouldn't make much sense to hunt robots for meat, they do however still serve a purpose. The electronic components dropped from robots could be used in the crafting of the kitchen tools, such as the stove, fridge and such.

I know there are other subprofessions too but since I am new and unfamiliar with them I can't really say much. I guess animal tamers could have some sort of animal husbandry skill. As I understand it some housing areas have gardens that could be used for i.e. planting vegetables. The possibilities are endless, I am sure that people who are more creative than I could add to my suggestion and fine tune it.

Well that's my two pecs from standing in a field shooting cows. :)

Last edited:
this game is unlike any other you will find elsewhere... Mindark originally did have some ideas similar to what you are proposing
Meat Extractor:
meatex.gif

Food Packs:
foodpack.gif

Food Mate:
FC-100Food-Mate.gif

Cooking Profession Icon:
cook+skill.jpg

skill+symbols.jpg

AIO.jpg

Suggested Reading on this and other ideas that were left by the wayside...
However, Mindark has chosen to go in a different direction, and probably for good reasons...

Here Land Owners don't raise crops that attract mob, they put mob dna in to the Land itself and use fertilizer, etc. to increase the strength of the mob... you could say the idea is that the technology in game advanced beyond traditional methods of doing things to survive like we did back on Planet Earth (but in reality you'd the game developers really just are cobbling together a bunch of junk that they didn't think through all the way and are trying to sell it just because...)

At one point in time Rocktropia did have farms with fences but then the server got downsized by about half and all of that nice midwest farmland went away... There's still a similar concept for a supposedly tameable mob on Next Island now that is not currently tameable due to some changes and glitches, etc.

The snugs were used at one point to create a garden that you used to make special weapons, but that era got run over when Mindark introduced better weapons in the Ar Matrix line.... so uh... yeah... you'll find just about everything in game actually gets some new system that outdates old system every few years... which makes it annoying to stay on top of what the newest way to survive in game is... at one point in time the concept of limited items that cannot be repaired did not exist... as time went on new stuff keeps getting added to replace old stuff, so old stuff that worked well in the past now doesn't so much... makes it very hard to take the idea of investing in the game for long term difficult to say the least...

Pets do require nutrio... but the way to create that is to mix sweet stuff and fruit found on the ground, etc.

Food type loot that is used to craft with is available in loot of mobs on Next Island (Boar Steak), Cyrene (Bone in Meat, etc.), and a few other places....

Kitchen appliances such as refrigerators are in game but are only for decoration. Same for other food type items like fishing rod.

I really don't think it'd be a good idea for avatars to require as much food as pets do to stay moving around in game, etc. If health was based on a new system that used food to make costs to play per hour increase I suspect it would not make too many folks in game too happy.

Faps, revive terminals, and healing tools get health up as it stands now, adding in food to make health repairing itself over time take longer just seems like it'd be making the game cost more for no reason.

If Mindark replaced every ounce of shrapnel looted with non TT-able meat that had to be used in some way... well, uh, I think the game would be shutting down in a couple of months... especially if said meat would decay over time and not be usable after it decays in storage...

that having been said, go grab some bananas and rotten bananas from Rocktropia and Secret Island so you can use it to travel from one to the other. ;)

Last edited:

What she said....

I assume that the endemic life on our colonized planets is dextro-proteins based, so is completely indigestible for us. For same reason we don't eat the fruits we gather and only feed them to pets.

I assume that the endemic life on our colonized planets is dextro-proteins based, so is completely indigestible for us. For same reason we don't eat the fruits we gather and only feed them to pets.

So then what do we eat to sustain ourselves? Pills? :D

Back