When is Maintenance Going be Broadcast so we Know

The Abomb

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Abomb Abomb ThePeoplesChamp
Just curious as I lost my connection like many of you unaware that maintenance was coming as I am in the middle of hunting. When is MA going to make this known that servers are going down? They put all the system functions in the middle of the screen in RED that we didn't ask for but still we have no idea that servers are going down!!

Ohhh but wait they announce it in the main tab, which no one has open EVER while they are playing the game!!!! We have the system tab open and in there we usually are following skills or what ever else you opted for that tab. Or maybe you are engaged in Private messages with people because oh yea this is an MMO.

Furthermore why not broadcast it in every dam tab and on the middle of the screen. Servers are going down!! Does MA enjoy support tickets asking for refunds on PED because the players weren't made aware because server maintenance is poorly handled??

Put the server going down broadcast where EVERYONE can see it!!!!

It's really easy to miss server maintenance then MA gets bogged down with support tickets because of PED lost since this is a real cash MMO. Doesn't that sound silly? Yes it is.

This really isn't a hard fix please and thanks

Last edited:
You can choose what you read in system tab. And servers going down in middle of hunt? You have 1h to finish it.

Good point! They switched it around completelly. Instead we get these annoying "RED LETTERS" constantlly whilst hunting. Yet it should only be for "servers Going Down", messaage.

Bingo!!! :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

You can choose what you read in system tab. And servers going down in middle of hunt? You have 1h to finish it.

I was in the middle of killing a mob and didn't know servers were going down, like many other players didn't see the 1 hour notice or any other notice of servers going down because they do a poor job of notifying the players because this happens every dam server maintanence where it is a surprise to the players.

What would just be swell is if they removed the dam red hunting actions we get in the middle of the screen that no one wanted and put that back into system tab. Then for MA to actually do a real BROADCAST notifying the community that indeed server will be going down so the players know. Then they can adjust their gameplay and plans accordingly.

If players don't know about server maintenance then they don't know. Then they have to put in a support case which just creates more work for support and MA.

Thanks

Why would you not read main chat? You can set it to just be local or whatever you like.

I think them posting regular messages in everyone’s main chat is suffice, it’s hardly their fault if you don’t read your main chat.

I do agree however that maybe the last 5 min warning should pop up in the red on screen writing, as a final warning I guess.

Why would you not read main chat? You can set it to just be local or whatever you like.

I think them posting regular messages in everyone’s main chat is suffice, it’s hardly their fault if you don’t read your main chat.

I do agree however that maybe the last 5 min warning should pop up in the red on screen writing, as a final warning I guess.

I think we can all agree that server notifications shouldn't be based on the hopes of what tab you have open or reading.

I think we can all also agree that it should be obvious and impossible to not see something as important as server maintenance happening in a real cash MMO.

Literally every other game I play when there is server maintenance there is a warning in the log in screen logging into the game! Then there is a siren and giant red notification in the middle of the screen every 15 mins so you can't miss it.

Finally I think we can all agree this is a simple fix for MA to make sure the players are aware of maintenance.

It's really easy to miss server maintenance then MA gets bogged down with support tickets because of PED lost since this is a real cash MMO. Doesn't that sound silly? Yes it is.

[Removed response to deleted post]

These post against the common sense idea that everyone should know server maintenance is coming is astounding. I swear it's like people just get on here to disagree even though its common sense that what is in place isn't working for players. Ohhh it's on FB does that help? NO! Do they have a twitter should I be on there too? NO! It's people like you derailing threads on good suggestions that would help the players and MA that is the problem. Was anything I said in the OP wrong or a bad idea that takes tons of resources from MA? No it actually saves MA time in support cases!

You know what I do have is 4 Support cases all from server maintenance where MA has to take the time to go into the system and figure out the PED I lost and refund me because I didn't know the server is going down. (Which they kindly did return the PED as it is indeed the systems fault) This happens to myself, my friends and many other players. How many more support cases do they have now with all the other players that didn't know? It adds up so tell me who is wasting time? Seems like support and MA have extra work.

This isn't rocket science just make it better! If you are arguing against making this poorly in place notification system better than you are in fact a troll. I know about maintenance in my other games on the log in screen the night before and it is impossible in game to not see the servers going down alert. It's common best practices for any business to run that way. Fixing this extremely poor server notification system is common sense and obviously not hard. It helps everyone including MA.

Yikes :scratch2:

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't rocket science just make it better! ... It helps everyone including MA.

Yikes :scratch2:

I agree with Abomb on this (but waves cheerfully to Alaina while doing so...). We're still getting stupid failed mentoring notifications and other stuff in red, but not about servers going down. Maybe not necessary every five mins for a whole hour, but certainly the last 15 mins would be nice!
Also, surely it's a system message, so should appear at least there too. Personally, I'd still have problems necessarily seeing it there as a pilot who might have ship repair notifications flying past, but I'd imagine for most people it would be a really easy improvement for MA to make.

Obviously, the list of possible improvements to the interfaces is long - like letting us choose to deselect those repair greens. How about getting the SOLO loot to actually come up if selected (maybe as separate chat), as was in vu notes from some time ago, but never appeared to work? OR... let us loot from a team while solo in it...

I agree with Abomb on this (but waves cheerfully to Alaina while doing so...). We're still getting stupid failed mentoring notifications and other stuff in red, but not about servers going down. Maybe not necessary every five mins for a whole hour, but certainly the last 15 mins would be nice!
Also, surely it's a system message, so should appear at least there too. Personally, I'd still have problems necessarily seeing it there as a pilot who might have ship repair notifications flying past, but I'd imagine for most people it would be a really easy improvement for MA to make.

Obviously, the list of possible improvements to the interfaces is long - like letting us choose to deselect those repair greens. How about getting the SOLO loot to actually come up if selected (maybe as separate chat), as was in vu notes from some time ago, but never appeared to work? OR... let us loot from a team while solo in it...

This is exactly what I am talking about and it's frustrating, so thank you for the welcomed constructive post. Then it gets doubly frustrating when literally asking for a very simple request it is met with unnecessary arguments. Then we wonder why nothing gets done in game by the Devs, even the most simple things. Literally everyone would benefit from this, it hurts no one. When it's obvious the current system that was implemented isn't working right, so fixing the error messages in Red and having an actually decent notification system is hardly asking for the moon. It's just making Entropia better.

A better notification system in general would be welcome, indeed.

However, Abomb, you gotta stop making these assumptions that you claim to be globally true for everyone, I think you are smarter than that. You always come make these angry posts based on something that annoys you that you insist is true for 100% of the players, but it never is. Most people I know don't have any issues with seeing the server notifications, and I know personally I always have the main tab open (as others pointed out, it's configurable).

As we have to read the pointless stuff in bold red letters across the screen, why not try something simple this time:

!!!
WRITE THE
IMPORTANT MESSAGES
TO ALL CHAT-TABS
!!!

MA, hello?​

I agree that the only use for the RED warning message in the center of the screen should be for server shut downs or other important notices.

It is not needed or wanted the way it is now. Please get rid of it or let us have an option to disciple it.. I mean disable it.

As we have to read the pointless stuff in bold red letters across the screen, why not try something simple this time:

!!!
WRITE THE
IMPORTANT MESSAGES
TO ALL CHAT-TABS
!!!

MA, hello?​

I am actually surprised that this is not the case.
I always have the main window open and rarely any other. I just assumed that the messages I was seeing every 5 minutes would be seen in all windows.
Surely, this would be an easy fix.

Maybe it should be like this with one of the MA dev's going '10 mins!', '5 mins!' instead of 'Toasty!'

Be a bit hard to say you didn't see it then.

;)

I agree that the only use for the RED warning message in the center of the screen should be for server shut downs or other important notices.

It is not needed or wanted the way it is now. Please get rid of it or let us have an option to disciple it.. I mean disable it.

Actually its moot by now, most of us have already trained our brains to treat it as the non information it is....and wouldn't even notice what it said. This is the problem with putting fancy ideas into an industry that has decades of research behind why not to do them.

While I do think this is for VR later, it only complicates things in PC mode. And honestly they would be better off with dynamic icons than text in VR.

Basic dev in-game broadcast notification function is an expected state of the art feature for decades now and should not be missing from any game.
Outside of a few older alpha or early access games, EU is the only game I can think of that does not broadcast when servers are getting shutdown. Some games post the shutdown message for days in advance like mechwarrior online, others post up to 24 hours in advance like Project Genom and Galactic Junk League (both dead & buried games) even simple flash games can do this ie. Dawn of the Dragons (likely another dead game).
I recall broken-release games like Anthem having that function and with the warnings increasing in frequency the closer it got to shutdown time. New games like New World by AGS during early Alpha last year even had that function of warning everyone in game and that's AGS's first PC game!

Unless... when the server goes down is always unexpected, and patches are just queued up before the next reboot randomly occurs. :lam:

Maybe it should be like this with one of the MA dev's going '10 mins!', '5 mins!' instead of 'Toasty!'

Be a bit hard to say you didn't see it then.

;)

I would actually love this

Basic dev in-game broadcast notification function is an expected state of the art feature for decades now and should not be missing from any game.
Outside of a few older alpha or early access games, EU is the only game I can think of that does not broadcast when servers are getting shutdown. Some games post the shutdown message for days in advance like mechwarrior online, others post up to 24 hours in advance like Project Genom and Galactic Junk League (both dead & buried games) even simple flash games can do this ie. Dawn of the Dragons (likely another dead game).
I recall broken-release games like Anthem having that function and with the warnings increasing in frequency the closer it got to shutdown time. New games like New World by AGS during early Alpha last year even had that function of warning everyone in game and that's AGS's first PC game!

Unless... when the server goes down is always unexpected, and patches are just queued up before the next reboot randomly occurs. :lam:

So basiclly you sayed how its in EU:scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

They post here usualy 24 hours before server going down then they do it at EU for a hour whit a 5 min messages.
Also in facebook and maybe other social media they use.

Good post and our lack luster system causes issues since it is really easy to miss the server going down. When I am logging into WoW there is a server maintenance message right there that you have to read while putting in your password with the expected time of the maintenance that goes up 24-48 hrs in advance. Which of course makes it impossible to not know servers are going down or when exactly the maintenance is so you can make plans.

If it is a surprise maintenance for an urgent issue in WoW it is impossible to miss in game as there are Universal Broadcast messages, which then allows you to make plans accordingly.

Since this game is real cash MMO it is very surprising that server maintenance announcements are just extremely far behind most other games notification system. This then creates more work for Support for players that don't see the server maintenance and have to get refunds on PEDs lost from the activities they were cut off from.

Enhancing this feature seems like common sense and something that would reduce support tickets for MA while improving the overall player experience. It's 2020 we just expect better.

Whyyy does the existing red text not show in all tabs? I have long had the habit of keeping 3 tabs for Local, Rookie, System, with each including the contents of those preceding it... but the red server message text, despite being the color of a vital alert, only shows in Main.

Last edited:
Back